6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Ruger
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

P1030412.JPG
    P1030414.JPG

#1 6 years ago

FPO has traditionally been a tournament where everyone qualifies for the playoffs that were normally held on Friday and Saturday. FPO also included a Classics tournament normally on Friday. After thorough discussion, debate, and feedback from players and volunteers, we have decided to retain as much of the traditional FPO format as possible. Due to FPO being a PAPA circuit event, we have made some changes to accommodate for the expected larger number of players as well as PAPA TV broadcasting the playoffs and finals.

Here are the details on format, schedule and hotel information for the Fairfax Pinball Open, PAPA Circuit Event tournament for 2014. See www.vapinball.org/fpo-info for more information. This web-site currently contains outdated information and will be updated this weekend with these details.

Dates and General Event Information
    Friday, February 21st through Sunday, February 23rd. Show is open to the public and competitors on Friday and Saturday. There is a $10 / day entry fee. All games are on free play and there will be plenty of non-tournament games for play during the event. Sunday is not open to the general public but is open to all competitors and spectators. There will be no door fee on Sunday. The event will officially close upon conclusion of the main playoffs on Sunday.

3535 Chain Bridge Rd, Fairfax, VA 22030
    703-591-5500

A group rate is available for $65 / night. You must ask for the Pinball group rate to receive this rate.
    Nearby Airports: Washington Reagan (DCA), Washington Dulles (IAD) and about an hour away is Baltimore-Washington Airport (BWI).

The hotel is located south of the Route 66 and Route 123 interchange, just one light away off Route 123. There are plenty of food options in the area, some within walking distance, and other hotels as well within a few miles.

Main Tournament
    FPO will use PAPA style qualifying with 3 games selected out of the main bank of games for each entry. There will be two separate divisions, A and B. Only A-division is eligible for WPPR and PAPA Circuit event points. In each division, every participant is qualified for the playoffs.

Playoff Format
    The top half of qualifiers will be seeded in the winner bracket portion of the playoffs. The bottom half of qualifiers will be seeded in the loser bracket portion of the playoffs. This effectively means the top half is playing in double elimination and the bottom half is single elimination. If there are more than 64 players in a division, those players seeded 64 and higher will play a preliminary round to establish the player in spot 64.

Final match to determine the winner will follow normal double elimination rules. The winner of the loser bracket must defeat the winner of the winner bracket twice to win the tournament (two separate matches). The winner of the winner bracket need only win one match to win the tournament.

Note: A-division playoffs will be limited to the Main bank, but B-division playoffs will also include the Classics bank of machines.

Playoff Schedule
    Playoffs will begin Saturday night at 6pm. Playoffs will continue until midnight is reached, or the bracket reaches a specific point for A-division. A-division playoffs will be suspended until Sunday morning once 16 players remain: 8 in the winner bracket and 8 in the loser bracket. A-division playoffs and B-division playoffs (if not finished) will resume at 10am on Sunday. We expect that both divisions will conclude before 4pm to accommodate out-of-area travelers.

Qualifying Schedule
    Qualifying begins on Friday at 2pm and ends at 1am. Qualifying resumes on Saturday at 10am and ends at 5pm.

Cost:
    A-division $10 / entry, B-division $5 / entry. There is a separate $5 registration fee for the tournament.

Classics Tournament
    The classics tournament will be conducted on Friday. Qualifying begins at 2pm and ends at 8pm. We will once again use PAPA style qualifying with the number of games per entry to be determined. Playoffs will commence at 8:30pm. The top 16 qualifiers will compete in a single elimination tournament to determine the winner. This is a WPPR eligible side tournament. Cost per entry is $5.

More information will be provided on the web-site as more details are provided including potential mini-tournaments throughout the weekend.

From all the volunteers that put on FPO, we hope to see you this February.

3 weeks later
    #2 5 years ago

The Fairfax Pinball Open and PAPA Circuit event is a little over a week away and takes place 2/21 through 2/23.

Details can be found on www.vapinball.org/fpo-info.

We're still tweaking the classics format but will be either 2 or 3 game entry, PAPA style qualifying, top 16 (or possibly 24) in playoffs on Friday night.

We're also still deciding on the final format for the Barry Oursler fundraiser tournament that will take place all day Friday and Saturday. Most likely a pay-as-you-play format, so no time constraints involved other than end time which will be Saturday night. No playoffs to avoid affecting Main event. All entry fees are being donated, but we have some nice prizes from Stern and Jersey Jack for top place finishers (big thank you to both for being so generous).

If you are planning on attending for the main tournament, it is not required but please PM me on Pinside with your name (preferably same as your IFPA profile if you have one) and division (A or B) you plan on playing in the main event. This will help with setup to avoid wait times. No money taken at this time, that will all happen at the door.

If you have any questions, please post them here.

Thanks and look forward to seeing or meeting you if you attend.

Kevin

#3 5 years ago

Can people just choose A or B division, or is their some IFPA ranking above a certain number restriction in place?

#4 5 years ago

Any chance you could post a list of some of the tables that will be in the main bank, classics, or just generally?

#5 5 years ago

Last year they posted all the bank and classic games well in advance if i remember correctly. Pretty sure they will have Star Trek there but bot sure about anything else

#6 5 years ago

We're finalizing games and will post a list but they are subject to change for the tournament banks.

Restrictions on divisions will be updated by tomorrow, but in general it is up to the player to choose their division with rare exceptions, i.e. FPO director has discretion to restrict players to A on case by case basis.

#7 5 years ago

Awesome! I live 5 minutes from the BestWestern and I had no idea about any of this. Look forward to seeing you guys Friday night

#8 5 years ago
    Quoted from dt3:

Awesome! I live 5 minutes from the BestWestern and I had no idea about any of this. Look forward to seeing you guys Friday night

Definitely come out! Last year everyone had a blast at the new location. This year, I don't expect any less!

#9 5 years ago

I think me and my girl are coming to check it out however im new to pinball dont think id go in tournament lol id be laughed at

#10 5 years ago

You should throw 5$ for a B division entry, no one will laugh. Many games on free play but you can only play the tournament games if your in the tournament so at least one 5 dollar entry to play a few of the tournament games might be worth your while. Or as an alternate you can put in an entry for the charity tournament, all laughter there is 401 (c) not for profit so it really doesn't count

#11 5 years ago

will anybody be bringing any games for sale?

#12 5 years ago

My wife and I will be there on Saturday and possibly even Friday. Looking forward to.

Anyone have a black Data East lockdown bar to sell that they could bring?

#13 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinnaf:

will anybody be bringing any games for sale?

A few people bringing games have mentioned they will have price tags on their games. There is also a distributor that brings a few games as well, those are typically for sale, too (should have prices on them if they are).

#14 5 years ago

I can bring a LW3 or Wipe Out if anyone is interested in trading.

#15 5 years ago

Cool maybe me and her will enter the one for fun also bringing money hopefully I can find a pinball to purchase

#16 5 years ago
    Quoted from PoMC:

I can bring a LW3 or Wipe Out if anyone is interested in trading.

Damn. As a snowboarder Ive always been interested in a wipeout. I have a teed off that I recently picked up but dont think im quite done with it just yet.

If youre interested in doing something down the road might be able to work something out but wouldnt be ready just yet.

#17 5 years ago

woot!

I will be there. i'll be the kinda nerdy guy playing pinball. come say hi if you see me!

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from pezpunk:

woot!
    I will be there. i'll be the kinda nerdy guy playing pinball. come say hi if you see me!

I assumed you'd be there with your Imzadi.

#19 5 years ago

I have a new repo Wizard backglass and a used Spirit of 76 Backglass I can bring if anyone wants to make an offer?

#20 5 years ago

Any word on what games are going to be setup or a rough number of how many are going to be on site??

#21 5 years ago

Can anyone bring a flipper coil for Black Knight for me to buy for a friend? We are going to his place afterwards to work on his Black Knight and would like to be able to replace the coil during troubleshooting if it's bad.

Williams SFL-19-400/30-750 Flipper Coil

#22 5 years ago

Anybody go today?

#23 5 years ago

There are some pics posted on Instagram if you search for user richmondpinball

#24 5 years ago

Went up last night and had a blast. First one of these things I've been to so I really don't have anything to compare it to but thought turnout was pretty good. Short of Spider-Man/darkKnightdidnt really have to wait too long for any of the free to play games.

#25 5 years ago

I was there yesterday evening and played in the Classics tournament. Top 24 out of 80 tournament players made the playoffs. I finished 25th

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from iluvak9:

I was there yesterday evening and played in the Classics tournament. Top 24 out of 80 tournament players made the playoffs. I finished 25th

#27 5 years ago

i was gonna go but my wife got pneumonia

#28 5 years ago

Me and the old lady went today and had a blast meant lots of people got to play lots of games which has now made my pinball sickness that much worse lol , going to hopefully get a few new machines this week.

#29 5 years ago

I was out there friday night and had a pretty good time. The breaker blew so 8 games on the wall couldn't be used. Still was able to play a lot of stuff I had only heard about. I couldn't believe how many people I saw there from that movie "special when lit". Got some good info on a league that meets on Monday nights. Anyone here go to them? I have to check it out one of these Mondays.

#31 5 years ago

First time at a Tournament. Didn't play but got there early Sunday morning and met a few nice people. Really cool to see some of the top players manipulate a game like that. Will post a few pictures when I get home today.

After watching some of them play, I came home last night and managed to put top scores on two of my games. Maybe pinball is a little more than just banging the ball around.

#32 5 years ago

The final-16 bracket is here: http://challonge.com/fpofinals

#33 5 years ago

A few pics of Sunday morning early...bank of turnament games and players getting ready in the practice area..

P1030414.JPG P1030412.JPG
    #34 5 years ago

I'm happy to hear so many people had a good time. I'll be posting results tomorrow with more details than other people may have posted.

Answer to the league question: take a look at fspazone.org. That is the web-site for the local leagues based in Virginia and Maryland. Email me from the website for the Virginia league if you want to know more.

Thanks,
    Kevin

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 194.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 24.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lee's Parts
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    MI Pinball Refinery
    $ 49.00
    $ 14.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 90.00
    $ 229.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 14.50
    Electronics
    PinballElectronics.com
    $ 209.99
    $ 125.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Sparky Pinball
    Playfield - Plastics
    Mod Magic!
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Great American Pinball
    $ 334.95
    $ 149.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 40.00
    Lighting - Other
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 8.50
    Lighting - Led
    Pinball Haus
    $ 219.99
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside