(Topic ID: 74471)

2013 has been a bad year for electronic component supplies...

By G-P-E

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 56 days ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    LM338K_Fake_Fake_Real.jpg
    20131215_141446.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zitt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#38 9 years ago

sigh.
    Good think I design my own boards with only SMT now.
    It is concerning that TO-92 are going obsolete. What are all these engineering students going to use for Labs? PSpice only gives you so much info.

3 months later
    #73 9 years ago

Sigh... what are the EE students going to do without breadboarding labs?

5 months later
    #77 8 years ago
    Quoted from CactusJack:

As some of you might know, the going rate (places like Mouser, Digikey, Arrow) for an LM338K (5 amp adjustable TO-3 regulator) is around $42-$50. That's each!

Ouch! So what I'm hearing is that someone should make a 5A +5V switcher which can fit in existing TO3 case?

3 weeks later
    #84 8 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Latest news -- I was told *ALL* DIP style logic devices to be phased out within two years.
    On-Semi (Motorola), Philips, ST and others have already done so. TI is sole survivor ... for now.

This doesn't really surprise me; but really... what do EE students do now in LABs? I remember using solderless breadboards and DIP packages all the time... how does the universities teach electrical engineering now?

Very disappointing; but I'm guessing it'll take years for the current stock to disappear...and then decades for "pulls" to disappear.

#93 8 years ago

There's something to be said for learning with actual wires and whatnot.
    Oh well.

2 years later
    #94 6 years ago

My Data East Star Trek has been having some issues which I've traced down to a very low (4.4v) +5V power supply.
    I went to order some replacement parts from digikey and found that these important parts are out-of-stock as a last time buy.

LM723C - the main +5V regulator chip
    2N6284 - the TO3 power darlington which runs the +5V regulator

I was able to secure a UA723CDR in the 14SOIC package and
    PA0004-ND
    SOIC-14 TO DIP-14 SMT ADAPTER
    to hopefully get the PSU healthy for TPF'2018 from Digikey.
    I subbed a MJ11012G transistor for the 2N6284

With these chips/transistors going by way of the dodo... I'm starting to get more than a little concerned at the amount of work it's going to be to keep these machines running.

5 months later
    #98 5 years ago
    Quoted from Zitt:

I was able to secure a UA723CDR in the 14SOIC package and
    PA0004-ND
    SOIC-14 TO DIP-14 SMT ADAPTER
    to hopefully get the PSU healthy for TPF'2018 from Digikey.
    I subbed a MJ11012G transistor for the 2N6284

Quoted from G-P-E:

Fortunately, there is still one alternate part number remaining for now - UA723CN.

Yeap. Incidentally; the UA723CDR w/ SOIC-14 dip adapter worked beautify. Played another set of games on the DEST this afternoon.

#100 5 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

Regarding the 2N6284G...

Unsure if that was just general advice; or you were directing at me.
    At the time *I* ordered... TO3s were in very short supply at Digikey. I did the best I could with what I had available at the time of order.
    That said; I'm not 100% sure I replaced my 2N6284... It's possible just the UA723CDR was all I need to get the PSU functional.

#105 5 years ago

basic, original 7400 series has been eol for years. only the more modern replacements are available. IE 74HCT or similar because they are usually direct replacements.

5 years later
    #107 3 months ago

Just got word from Digikey that TI is discontinuing the LM339 opamps currently used in a lot of modern Williams games for the switch matrix:

LM339 EOL 10/16/2024LM339 EOL 10/16/2024

Last Time Buy Date: 10/16/2024
    All the listed alternates are SOIC-14 packages.

I stand corrected. Apparently the thruhole version isn't being eoled - yet. as far as I can tell.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Zitt.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2013-has-been-a-bad-year-for-electronic-component-supplies?tu=Zitt and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.