(Topic ID: 74471)

2013 has been a bad year for electronic component supplies...

By G-P-E

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 108 posts
  • 44 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 82 days ago by dasvis
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    LM338K_Fake_Fake_Real.jpg
    20131215_141446.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HHaase.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#24 10 years ago

6875's? Nice score on those! Let me know when they're available. I've never actually had to replace one, but being one of the handful of guys that actually take in system 3-4 WMS for repair, the day will come. Now if only you could find a stash of 55516's.

I'm on the hedge on some future projects regarding if they will be SMT or not. I know that the pin crowd highly prefers thru-hole stuff, and I am fighting to find acceptable parts to make it possible. Same with trying to avoid using PLCC's and FPGA. Again, doing my best to cater to the customer requests, but man it's getting hard to do.

-Hans

#27 10 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

You'd think I'd be able to get some 55516's.... after all, I work for the company that made them. But, noooooo....

I keep thinking to myself that an entrepreneur should be able to find a way to bring some of these things back into production, we are talking 1970's-1980's technology level here. There's GOT to be companies willing to do small runs of chips for private entities (small as in 10,000 pieces or so). Or there should be surplus equipment available to re-establish a line on a smaller scale. I can understand why bigger companies aren't interested for sure, but there has got to be enough demand for a 'boutique' type organization to succeed.

-Hans

11 months later
    #51 9 years ago

Good to know about Central, I'll make sure to put them on my 'go scratch' list for new designs.

-Hans

8 months later
    #88 8 years ago

Not surprising to hear this. I'd guess that less than 1% of the designs we're assembling at my full-time job are using DIP components of any type, and most of those are for things like opto-isolators and such. We'll go a month or two sometimes between work orders that actually use our DIP insertion machine these days, mainly for a few legacy boards that are only still being made to support existing systems.

-Hans

#92 8 years ago
    Quoted from G-P-E:

For development and testing in school -- my son was using a generic Xilinx FPGA development board. Write code in VHDL to emulate nearly any logic and stuff it into the FPGA. Watch what it does using 'chip-scope' and reprogram it as often as you wish.
    I managed to fit an entire Gottlieb System 80 CPU board (minus NVRAM) into an FPGA -- CPU, Three RIOT's, decode logic, scratchpad memory and ROM. It was a small FPGA but was still less than 50% used.

Man, if only I could do the development work on something like that, I'd start pushing some serious hardware.

-Hans

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider HHaase.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2013-has-been-a-bad-year-for-electronic-component-supplies?tu=HHaase and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.