(Topic ID: 26050)

2012 Houston Area Arcade Expo

By Legacy

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

untitled.jpg
    HTC_Trophy_000155.jpg
    20121103_143439.jpg
    20121102_191156.jpg
    20121102_185314.jpg
    IMG-20121104-00098.jpg
    haag4.jpg
    haag2.jpg
    haag1.jpg
    IMG-20121102-00095.jpg
    Southeast_Montgomery-20121102-00094.jpg
    IMG-20121102-00092.jpg
    IMG-20121102-00093.jpg
    legs.jpg
    There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
    #51 11 years ago

Thanks, Mike for the link..
    Spoke with my cuz, Kelly... he'll be traveling with Mike Cousins from NO
    We'll probably make it.. why not? I've never been to an pb/arcade expo.
    Getting together for beers or food sounds like a good idea too..

#52 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballHelp:

Here are some pictures I took from the show last year:
    http://pinballhelp.com/images-from-the-2011-houston-arcade-expo/
    These were before the show was open to the public so there's no people, just games. Also at that link on the second page is a two-part video walk-thru of the main room and vendor area.
    It's not as big as TPF, but there are plenty of games to play, and with some of the area hardcore collectors contributing, there are lots of rare games usually available.
    Most importantly, it's got a smaller, more intimate feel to it. IMO, last year the swap meet at HAAG was better than TPF.

Thanks for the pics! I tell ya what, if that original Mario Brothers wide video cab is there again this year and for sale at a reasonable price . . . it may be coming home with me. That is one vid I'd like in my collection if it is in good looking shape.

#53 11 years ago
    Quoted from PBINTHESOUTH:

Thanks, Mike for the link..
    Spoke with my cuz, Kelly... he'll be traveling with Mike Cousins from NO
    We'll probably make it.. why not? I've never been to an pb/arcade expo.
    Getting together for beers or food sounds like a good idea too..

Yea, we absolutly need a pinside get together for beer AND food (do away with the "or", hehe). I think planning that Friday night at Joystix makes the most sense.

#54 11 years ago

Just curious some of your thoughts/preferences of those that are somewhat interested in going to both the Houston Arcade Expo on Fri evening/night and/or Sat day/night -and- also to Joystix on Fri night that 1st weekend in Nov.
    A.) Just hit Joystix that Fri night from 9pm til 2 am (or until we've had enough),
    then just hit the Expo all day & night on Sat.
    B.) On Fri evening, be at the Expo from 6pm til about 8:45pm, then drive to Joystix and hang out there the rest of the night. Then also go to Expo Sat day/night.

I am flexible either way. I've never been to Houston Arcade Expo or to Joystix Fri night parties.
    It appears to be approx a 20 minute drive from Joystix to Expo location (during non traffic jam hours).

I assume from 4 to 6:30pm on a Fri afternoon/evening it would be best to avoid driving though Houston to skip the worst of the rush hour traffic. Correct?
    Thus, if we are going to Expo on Fri before Joystix (or skipping Joystix), then it might be good to get to the NW Hou Crown Plaza (Expo loc) by around 3 - 4pm, get checked in, take a break, hit a bar & grill restaurant, and then hit Expo.

#55 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Just curious some of your thoughts/preferences of those that are somewhat interested in going to both the Houston Arcade Expo on Fri evening/night and/or Sat day/night -and- also to Joystix on Fri night that 1st weekend in Nov.
    A.) Just hit Joystix that Fri night from 9pm til 2 am (or until we've had enough),
    B.) On Fri evening, be at the Expo from 6pm til about 8:45pm, then drive to Joystix and hang out there the rest of the night. Then also go to Expo Sat day/night.
    I am flexible either way. I've never been to Houston Arcade Expo or to Joystix Fri night parties.
    It appears to be approx a 20 minute drive from Joystix to Expo location (during non traffic jam hours).
    I assume from 4 to 6:30pm on a Fri afternoon/evening it would be best to avoid driving though Houston to skip the worst of the rush hour traffic. Correct?
    Thus, if we are going to Expo on Fri before Joystix (or skipping Joystix), then it might be good to get to the NW Hou Crown Plaza (Expo loc) by around 3 - 4pm, get checked in, take a break, hit a bar & grill restaurant, and then hit Expo.

I'm cool with either. How far apart is the expo from joystix?

#56 11 years ago
    Quoted from TigerLaw:

How far apart is the expo from joystix?

With no traffic, that's about a 25-30 minute trip.

#57 11 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

With no traffic, that's about a 25-30 minute trip.

Thanks. Prob a better idea to stay closer to joystix than to the expo...due to the bar attached to joystix.

#58 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-is-great:

Is Joystix even going to be open, I would think they would be at the show?

#59 11 years ago

Yes, Joystix will be open as it will be the first Friday of the month.
    I remember going to Joystix one year, the day after Thanksgiving when the last Friday happened to be during the holiday weekend. Always a blast no matter when I attend.

Also the Arcade Expo kickoff party is this Saturday, 10/13, at Dan's place at 4pm until ???
    I will have the bottle of Crown up for grabs for the one who hits 1 million points first on Fireball 2.

Brian

#60 11 years ago

Thanks for your post DarthX. It prompted me to send Charles an email asking for confirmation, which he replied. I'd have been bummed if we drove over there and it was closed that particular night.

He clarified that Joystix will be open Fri night Nov 2nd, and he mentioned that he will be at Hou Arcade Expo on Sat Nov 3rd.

So either of the options listed in my earlier post are still do-able.
    I'm also ok w/ skipping Joystix that weekend and just going to Hou Arcade Expo if that is what others want to do.

The games list for Hou Expo is already lookin good to me.
    I noticed some pins on the list that I have not played before (or only played a few games on).

#61 11 years ago

Wow. The Arcade Expo kickoff party on Saturday was a really good one.

Now I'm looking forward to the Expo. I just had 3 other pinballs listed, so I am now committed to bringing 6 machines.
    http://www.arcadecenter.com/showgames.asp

Thank you Marc for bringing down 2 machines this year. They will be a nice addition to this year's Expo.

Brian

#62 11 years ago
    Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Thank you Marc for bringing down 2 machines this year. They will be a nice addition to this year's Expo.
    Brian

Sure. I figured not many have played a G&G, the Baby Pac is also an easy arrangement to throw in the truck and both are as easy as a video game to set up. Maybe this year I can make it through the entire show without ending up in the hospital with food poisoning, or maybe it was just those huge bugs you guys have down there.

#63 11 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

The exhibitors list looks impressive...Jersey Jack...

Jersey Jack?

Is there going to be an WOZ ECLE at this show?

Didn't see it mentioned in the pinball game list here:

http://www.arcadecenter.com/showgames.asp?search=Pinball

#64 11 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

Jersey Jack?
    Didn't see it mentioned in the pinball game list here:
    http://www.arcadecenter.com/showgames.asp?search=Pinball

The "Exhibitor" page has been amended since I posted that, no surprise.

It is now the "Exhibitor and Sponsor" page. Mad Amusements and Coin Taker have been removed all together. I'm sure that Marco and Jersey Jack are just sponsor as they have never come to Houston. I would assume Gene with Illiniois Pinball will be there as he is every year.

#65 11 years ago
    Quoted from NM:

I wish!

#66 11 years ago

Seems like a missed opportunity for a start-up company to sell some additional games and attract more fans--after all, Houston is the fourth largest city in the Country.

Hey Jack: it's not too late!

#67 11 years ago

Have an idea where you had eaten that may have given you food poisoning? Sorry to hear that landed you in the hospital. I sure would like the others to know to avoid eating at the same place, just in case.

I have yet to play a G&G, so I'm looking forward to that.

WooHoo!!! John Popadiuk, Zidware, will have some giveaways at the Expo as well.
    http://pinballinventor.org/
    Looking forward to seeing his first 2 machines here in the near future. And hopefully be able to play one in person.

Brian

#68 11 years ago

Oh man, I have a feeling I'll be leaving that show with a new game...what a bunch of great games!!!

#69 11 years ago
    Quoted from Marc:

The "Exhibitor" page has been amended since I posted that, no surprise.
    It is now the "Exhibitor and Sponsor" page. Mad Amusements and Coin Taker have been removed all together. I'm sure that Marco and Jersey Jack are just sponsor as they have never come to Houston. I would assume Gene with Illiniois Pinball will be there as he is every year.

Sad that Coin Taker will not be at the show.

#70 11 years ago

Hello Borygard,
    Have you decided to come down to the Arcade Expo?
    I heard you have some LEDs and parts.
    It sure would be nice to have a variety of parts for sale at the Expo, especially the LEDs.

Look forward to purchasing from you.
    Brian

#71 11 years ago

Borygard,
    Keith said he would buy some shaker motors if you came down.
    What other types of parts you have for sale?

Brian

#72 11 years ago

So, is the general game plan of most people to hit Joystix on Friday night and the expo on Saturday? This timing couldn't work out any better.

#73 11 years ago

Ok im in.

My 11 yr old son is not going to be pleased that he cant go

Ill be coming in from Dallas on Fri and leaving for Austin sat night.
    I booked my hotel room.

Let me know where the Pinside/Beer metup is

--Jeff

#74 11 years ago

I'm in too.. I have a room in the hotel where HAAG is. Right now it's just me so if anyone needs a base of operations, let me know. I'm definitely down for hitting Joystix.. I've only been there during the day and never got a chance to play the games.

Let's also see if we can pick a day/time to grab some food. I hate to admit it, but I really like that place Chuys Comida. But I'll take any recommendations on good Tex-Mex. Gotta get my tex-mex on while I'm in Houston.

#75 11 years ago

I think my son and my brother are coming with me, but we will just be there for Saturday like usual.

#76 11 years ago

I'm torn on this one guys. November 3rd is opening morning of duck season. I love duck hunting just as much as pinball. I can't fathom missing opening morning. My Labrador would kill me if I went silverballing instead of taking him hunting. But on the otherhand, joystix and a chance to meet a lot of you guys as well as drink some beer and attend the expo. What am I to do???

#77 11 years ago

Go hunt in the morning on Sat and Sunday.
    Doors dont open till noon or something and by then all the duck are gone.

Im not gonna get to go duck hunting till Thanksgiving

Quoted from PinballHelp:

I hate to admit it, but I really like that place Chuys Comida.

I worked at the one in Austin for 7 years, Yum

#78 11 years ago

Thank goodness I could care less about ducks.
    Pinball for me please.

#79 11 years ago

Maybe they will have Duck Hunt at the expo, it's the same thing pretty much, trying to shoot ducks and having your dog laugh at you.

#80 11 years ago
    Quoted from DarthXaos:

Maybe they will have Duck Hunt at the expo, it's the same thing pretty much, trying to shoot ducks and having your dog laugh at you.

Lol good one

#81 11 years ago

I'm coming down and hosting a booth.
    Me and my bud Chris Munro will have our big ol' booth of used pinball boards and parts and pieces.
    I'll also be selling multicade pcbs and supplies.

As for games I'm definitely bringing my Merit Elite Edge Force Touchscreen game and a pinball. Not sure which one yet. It will either be Congo that is for sale, or my custom Iron Man Pinball.

All depends on what I can get done in the next couple of weeks.

Looking forward to it.

Charles place Joystix is cool and worth the visit. I just can't see why someone would rather meet at a store that is open almost everyday of the year vs a show that is only going on once a year...but to each his own.

Looking forward to putting some names to faces down in Houston.

#82 11 years ago
    Quoted from hassellcastle:

Charles place Joystix is cool and worth the visit. I just can't see why someone would rather meet at a store that is open almost everyday of the year vs a show that is only going on once a year...but to each his own.

I don't think the two are mutually exclusive. Joystix on the first and last Friday of the month is open from 10pm to 2am with unlimited pinball for a cover. So I think people could hit both on Friday if that was their druthers.

Looking forward to putting some names to faces down in Houston.

Same here! This will be my first show! Can't wait.

#83 11 years ago

Joystix is open from 9pm to 2am for $15 per person to play unlimited video games, pinball, and air hockey.

The Arcade Expo opens at 6pm on that Friday.

#84 11 years ago

The last posting I seen today, there was only one hotel room left reserved for the Arcade Expo.

#85 11 years ago

They have sold out of the group rate of $72. I finally got around to booking my room...If you book it online it is only $84 so my procrastination cost me $12.

#86 11 years ago

Finally pre-purchased my two tickets.
    Looking forward to the 3rd.

#87 11 years ago

I'm coming down and hosting a booth.
    Me and my bud Chris Munro will have our big ol' booth of used pinball boards and parts and pieces.
    I'll also be selling multicade pcbs and supplies.

Looking forward to seeing you guys again this year. I got some great deals from Chris last year.

#88 11 years ago

Brian, how are people here in Houston transporting their pins out there? Do you have a trailor or truck?

#89 11 years ago

Question for those that have been.

Hows the swap meet? I was thinking of bringing some High Speed extra parts and some EM extras.

Also I saw that the show itself has come old computer gaming stuff.
    I am debating bring some Atari 400 and some Apple IIe gear to sell as well

Thoughts?

--Jeff

#90 11 years ago

I wasn't able to attend last year though, but I can tell you from years past the swap meet has been pretty light on vendors. Not to say that there aren't people out there ready to make an impulse purchase, it's just not that much stuff to trade. In their defense it has gotten better year to year. So maybe they'll be more people outside. If you've got something...bring it if you've got the room. Someone may need it.

I just confirmed with the show.
    I'm bringing my custom Iron Man Pinball down to the show. Enjoy getting your ass kicked by it in two weeks ...ha ha.

#91 11 years ago

Hi Ryan, yeah there are people renting a truck/trailer. Erich and Robert out near Pearland are renting a truck. Let me know if you need some help getting something moved and your location of where you are.

#92 11 years ago

The swap meet last year was definately better. There were quite a few pinball parts trading hands, but more arcade games/cabinets being sold than pinball projects.

I think the weather may be the determining factor since this is in Nov. It is still 80 for a high this week, but a cold front is due in this weekend as well as the chance for rain will be higher as well.
    I am hoping for a dry weekend for the Expo.

#93 11 years ago

looks like Brian is running a taxi service for the Expo

Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Hi Ryan, yeah there are people renting a truck/trailer. Erich and Robert out near Pearland are renting a truck. Let me know if you need some help getting something moved and your location of where you are.

#94 11 years ago

What ever I can do to help get more pinball machines at the show, the better.
    I will even do what I can to keep many games as possible working as well during the show, not just mine.

#95 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pinballfantexas:

looks like Brian is running a taxi service for the Expo

Hope you will have your machines folded up on Friday morning for a quick pickup so Barry and I can get them set up for you.

#96 11 years ago

Unfortunately, Dr. Dude will not be ready for the Expo. I will be taking Pinball Magic in its place. I emailed to have that changed on the game list so I hope that will updated soon.

#97 11 years ago

I love Pinball Magic I can't wait to put the highest score on it! Regarding the folding the game we can help with the setup we don't want to leave all the fun to you and Barry.

#99 11 years ago

Can't wait for the expo! I am on the fence about bringing a TSPP and/or STTNG (because I didn't see them on the games list) but with my work schedule I really don't have any time to prep them for transport. Any Pinsiders want to help me out so maybe we can get a couple more games at the show?

#100 11 years ago

I would love to spend sometime on TSPP. I'll ask around if we can find someone to help you because we need more games!

There are 148 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2012-houston-area-arcade-expo/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.