(Topic ID: 193486)

2001 Stern keeps shooting out additional balls. OPTO board issue?

By Texastravis

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Lermods
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 6 years ago

Hey guys, new to the forum and pinball for that matter. A good DIYer but pinball machines are new to me. My new Austin Powers machine I just picked up started to occasionally not register an end of ball/turn... it would just go down to the ball trough and continue playing music as if I still had a ball in play. Now the problem has developed into multiple balls coming into play eventhough no bonus. Once it starts, it just keeps shooting ball after ball until there are no more balls in the ball trough.

Looking at switches, it appears all ball trough switches work properly. However, I did notice that the OPTIC board has a little issue. When a pinball is added to the ball trough it rolls down toward the plunger and blocks the bottom optic LED1 switch #14 which for some reason is also activating the LED2 switch #15 stacking opto. If you turn machine off and back on the problem is fixed but in the middle of the first or second game it goes back to triggering LED2 switch #15 and consistently puts out bonus balls since it thinks a ball is stuck. I pulled the Opto boards and resoldered which did not solve the problem.

Is this an opto boards issue or could this be something else? I can order some new ones but wont be able to play the machine for awhilllle.

#2 6 years ago

Welcome.

Check out this old thread with a younger me Cold Solder joints

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rbion-continent-multiball-problems#post-322892

#3 6 years ago

Make sure there are no foreign objects in the trough.

#4 6 years ago

Could be a phantom switch indication. This requires three switches to be closed at the same time. Those three switches and the phantom switch will form a rectangle on the switch matrix diagram.

My guess would be that it happens after a few games when another switch is closed (drop targets would be a good guess since a power cycle would reset them). Set all the drop targets down and then see if you can replicate the problem.

Also could be a problem with the opto board, but I'd check the above first since it's fairly easy.

#5 6 years ago

Clean them with windex. Every opto, not just the trough. Sometimes a dirty opto can cause phantom triggers with other ones. Look at the optos with your cell camera. Or an old digital camera if your phone has an IR filter so they don't show lit.
    You should see the transmitter side glow purple.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/testing-optos-with-iphone

#6 6 years ago

Hmm very interesting. I have never heard of phantom switches but I am new to switch matrixes. I will grab some windex and look around a bit. Is there a guide around here to switch matrixes and troubleshooting "phantoms"?

#7 6 years ago

Most likely you have a bad opto board in the trough. Slide the playfield on its rails, remove the balls and slide a piece if paper between the optos, both upper and lower to break the beam. Do they register on the switch matrix in test mode? Could also be an intermittent opto issue. My experience with these is to just replace them, they commonly fail. $8 at Marco. Soldering has never worked for me.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2001-stern-keeps-shooting-out-additional-balls-opto-board-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.