(Topic ID: 293781)

2001 plastic looks odd?

By boilerman

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 12.18.20 AM (resized).png
    45478CBA-2713-400B-B9A2-55C1FA144E44 (resized).jpeg
    24771B38-074C-4D17-9F65-826727CC4D22 (resized).jpeg
    #2 2 years ago

Flesh toned girl - yeah does look odd... repainted cab but didn't paint the white between each color bolt... also odd..

#3 2 years ago

And the dude is multicolored instead of just yellow. I owned two of this game a long time ago and wasn't sure what was different, only that something *was* different! If somebody did this as a remake it seems odd to only make these changes.

#4 2 years ago

Bad remake, for sure.

The plastic set from pinball rescue is unavailable...

#5 2 years ago

I thought the OP was referring to the fact that the art on these plastics "bleeds" all the way to the edge, which is correct for this game. Gottlieb experiemnted with plastics that didn't have the usual borderline about 3/16" in from the edge of the plastic, but gave up on it quickly.
    .................David Marston

#6 2 years ago

Yes - here are pictures of mine - girl on left is in blue

24771B38-074C-4D17-9F65-826727CC4D22 (resized).jpeg24771B38-074C-4D17-9F65-826727CC4D22 (resized).jpeg45478CBA-2713-400B-B9A2-55C1FA144E44 (resized).jpeg45478CBA-2713-400B-B9A2-55C1FA144E44 (resized).jpeg
    #7 2 years ago

And on the oddball one, the outer lib/con post adjustments are two holes instead of a slot like on the original plastic. Gtb factory plastics for that were usually slots.

#8 2 years ago

Zoom in on the flipper area. There appears to be lumps or bubbles in the clear finish.

#9 2 years ago

The semi circles above the pops are also different colors

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from Murphdom:

The semi circles above the pops are also different colors

Yeah, blue and red instead of green and red. Same blue as the rest of blue artwork. This is getting weirder.

#11 2 years ago
    Quoted from frenchmarky:

Yeah, blue and red instead of green and red. Same blue as the rest of blue artwork. This is getting weirder.

Note though that there /are/ some indications that this was an amateur (totally viable) playfield restoration job from many years ago. Look at what looks to be a touchup to the left of the 100 points design. Could be that instead of doing a proper color match, they just did whatever they wanted.

The plastics are another thing though. I would REALLY doubt that someone would take the time to scan in and then alter and custom print a plastic set to feature full coloring (which arguably looks worse than the production run).

Has anybody reached out and asked what the deal is? maybe the seller has some info?

Screen Shot 2021-05-23 at 12.18.20 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2021-05-23 at 12.18.20 AM (resized).png
    #12 2 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Note though that there /are/ some indications that this was an amateur (totally viable) playfield restoration job from many years ago. Look at what looks to be a touchup to the left of the 100 points design. Could be that instead of doing a proper color match, they just did whatever they wanted.
    The plastics are another thing though. I would REALLY doubt that someone would take the time to scan in and then alter and custom print a plastic set to feature full coloring (which arguably looks worse than the production run).
    Has anybody reached out and asked what the deal is? maybe the seller has some info?
    [quoted image]

I did and asked for a serial number to see if it was maybe a sample game and never heard back.

#13 2 years ago
    Quoted from radial_head:

Makes sense, that semi circle area does take a brutal beating from the kicker holes. And the circles' edges look a little jagged.

#14 2 years ago

From the Listing Description::

1971 Gottlieb 2001 pinball machine. One of the best of Gottlieb's wedge head's. Four banks of 5 drop targets. Six stationary targets Five kick-out holes. Roll overs in the return and outlanes. This machine plays beautifully. The playfield and cabinet have been repainted to original design. The plastics are a replacement set. (I believe I have the originals.) The backglass is flawless.

It is located in my basement gameroom. There is a short straight flight of steps from the basement to the garage. I'll breakdown the machine, but I am unable to assist in moving it. Please bring a dolly and a friend.

Because I am moving into a much smaller house, I am selling most of my collection. I have already listed Eight Ball Deluxe (LE), Meteor,
    Time Line, and Secret Service. I will be listing Wizard of Oz, The Walking Dead, Class of 1812, The Machine- Bride of Pinbot, Funhouse, Robocop, Genesis, Interflip Dragon, Blue Chip, Fan-Tas-Tic, 4 Queens, and Strike Zone.

#15 2 years ago

Curiosity wasn’t enough. Didn’t bid.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2001-plastic-looks-odd?hl=woodrails4ever and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.