Topic Stats

• 98 posts
  • 38 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by PinballHelp
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

cl-jd.jpg
mmViVynulTiBxQZxRPsl-7w.jpg
20130728_122047.jpg

There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Glad I got mine before the big price hike.

Dibs.

#52 6 years ago

I love Dredd and all, but $2k for one with severe water damage is pretty fucked, even if it weren't for the switch issues.

Plus, let's be realistic, no one has taken a Dredd, put 24k gold plating on it, and then let it end up somewhere that it would go to shit like this one clearly has.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

with the Deadworld mod you have to use a special rom that only allows the game to run on freeplay.

This is easily corrected.

viperrwk

#54 6 years ago

My current rule of thumb (by all means not bullet-proof) is the estimated price shown on the Pinside machine profile plus 20%. I think most people quoting prices within the Pinside estimated price are either in areas with lower relative pinball demand or people have not kept up with recent "pinflation". Coincidentally, the Pinside estimated price plus 20% also better matches the Boston Pinball Ebay summary.

That puts $2000 as a reasonable price for a decent working Judge Dredd, which this machine apparently was not.

Bargains usually are eventually discovered and cease becoming bargains.
http://gameroomblog.com/guides/the-top-ten-best-bargains-in-pinball-today

#55 6 years ago

2k for a nice game seems right to me...Stack has an early production game and so do I. When mine is 100% with correct early production plastic's, new topper, Dead World Mod, LED's and few other things...I don't think I would let mine go for less than $2500. But I love my early production Dredd, so value is in the eye of the beholder...and I be holdin'...lol

Don't get me wrong, I will agree with others saying if you wait you can find one cheaper. But remember this...if you wait long enough, you can find pinballs "free" on Craigslist....or the one for $100. But for me, I can't wait until I am 70 to find that mint game for less than "normal" pricing...and, you never know, we might have seen the last of the days where Dredd was a $1400 game.

my 2 cents only...

#56 6 years ago

Maybe if I can find another one, I'll let you know. I did have three at one time, but now I'm down to one, and my thinking is still that it would be one of that last games to ever go. There is just so much to JD. The gameplay, the music, the modes, the call-outs, the artwork, the DMD animation, and last but not least Supergame, are all right up my alley. If ever there was a machine that is the whole package, this is it.

#57 6 years ago

It's just all about condition. Since JD is such an insanely dark game if someone has put in a lot of work and hours to light it up well then I say it is worth a good amount more and so on

#58 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Maybe if I can find another one, I'll let you know. I did have three at one time, but now I'm down to one, and my thinking is still that it would be one of that last games to ever go. There is just so much to JD. The gameplay, the music, the modes, the call-outs, the artwork, the DMD animation, and last but not least Supergame, are all right up my alley. If ever there was a machine that is the whole package, this is it.

1400 dollar game, guys.....

#60 6 years ago

I'm buying at $1,400 all day long...and since they are so pletifull at that price, I expect to see my PM's blowing up....

#61 6 years ago

Ah, the good ole days. It seems like so long ago....................

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-is-a-1400-game-folks

#62 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Ah, the good ole days. It seems like so long ago....................
http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/judge-dredd-is-a-1400-game-folks

I'm not sure what is so magical about the $1400 number, but strange that this post used the same number, but to a different point: http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jd-is-not-a-1400-pinball

#63 6 years ago

A little nostalgia for an otherwise ordinary Monday.

#64 6 years ago

It's a $1,400 game if your patient, it's a $2K game if you're not. It's not rocket science.

Quoted from burningman:

I'm buying at $1,400 all day long...and since they are so pletifull at that price, I expect to see my PM's blowing up....

#65 6 years ago

jalpert...agreed, but I think you would agree that if a Dredd came up for sale, for $1400, fulling working, shopped, no errors, nice playfield and cabinet (not perfect), it would be sold in minutes...ok, I'll take that back, within an hour. Aaaand, if you missed that one, how long would you have to wait to find another one for the same price/condition?

Not trying to start an argument regading pricing, just pointing out that there are deals out there but few find them. (Kinda like the free pinball listings we see on Craigslist, how many times have we contacted someone within minutes of a post to only find out they have been spoken for)...
As many others have pointed out in other posts, you have to have an eagle eye and be ready to pounce.

In the case with the OP, THIS Dredd is NOT even worth $1400.

#66 6 years ago

Nice Dredds can be had for 2-3k, and collector quality a bit more. I wouldn't bother with a beater though, because of limited supply of game specific parts like cabinet decals and deadworld geaboxes and such. Most playfields I have seen are in good shape too, so getting one with a worn out playfield makes little sense either. A beater Dredd is good for one thing- parts.

#67 6 years ago

Took me about 1.5 years.

Quoted from burningman:

how long would you have to wait to find another one for the same price/condition?

My game wasn't shopped, or fully working. I paid $1,350.

Quoted from burningman:

fulling working, shopped, no errors, nice playfield and cabinet (not perfect), it would be sold in minutes

The thing is, your post has all these conditions attached to it, shopped, fully working etc. Wait a while, be willing to fix some switches, be willing to take some ramps off and switch out some rubber, and it's a $1,400 game. Otherwise, I don't think anyone disagreed that it's a $2K game.

Also, make some friends, and you don't have to worry about being that first guy to respond. The game I got was never listed. I was nice to a friend of his, and I got the game offered to me.

#68 6 years ago

thumbs up jalbert...in total agreement..

#69 6 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

This is easily corrected.
viperrwk

If you have an updated rom, let me know.

I never bought into this cabal of people who have decided they and only they can determine what rom hacks are allowed into circulation.

#70 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

If you have an updated rom, let me know.

Ditto. I didn't know this existed aside from the original L1.

#71 6 years ago
Quoted from nosro:

Ditto. I didn't know this existed aside from the original L1.

Someone coin-hacked the TZ home roms.. I guess it's likely someone did the same thing to the JD. I wouldn't mind getting the code. I can burn my own.

#72 6 years ago
Quoted from QuarterGrabber:

In Canada they are selling for $2,600 CAD right now.

There's one in Alberta for $3250 right now. At $2k I'd be driving over children and seniors to get it.

#73 6 years ago

This is likely repeated advice, but condition is king. I would pay more then 2,000 for a JD if the condition reflected the higher price.

#74 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballHelp:

Someone coin-hacked the TZ home roms.. I guess it's likely someone did the same thing to the JD. I wouldn't mind getting the code. I can burn my own.

Check your PM.

viperrwk

#75 6 years ago

I remember seeing one for $2k in South SD 6 months ago.

#76 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

Took me about 1.5 years.

My game wasn't shopped, or fully working. I paid $1,350.

The thing is, your post has all these conditions attached to it, shopped, fully working etc. Wait a while, be willing to fix some switches, be willing to take some ramps off and switch out some rubber, and it's a $1,400 game. Otherwise, I don't think anyone disagreed that it's a $2K game.
Also, make some friends, and you don't have to worry about being that first guy to respond. The game I got was never listed. I was nice to a friend of his, and I got the game offered to me.

So you got a broken, non-working one for $1350. That basically proves it is not a $1400 game, but that's ok I know you won't be convinced so no worries. So, for a fully working game in great shape and some lights added (needs that with being so dark in the back) there is no reason it can't climb the 2k range.

Basically, it is all condition, which has been mentioned already.

#77 6 years ago

The one I got was nearly perfect except for some cab scuffs, with working Deadworld and FF speakers installed.

I paid $2350 about 6 months ago, and feel like It was a fair price for the market at the time...

#78 6 years ago

What's your problem?

Quoted from jrivelli:

but that's ok I know you won't be convinced so no worries.

I suggested at $1,400 it might not be shiny, but cleaning a game up and maybe fixing some switches is not a broken non working game. Switches, cleaning and rubbers are just normal wear and tear. But yes, if you want it perfect, and you don't want to lift a finger, it's usually comes at a premium. It's not a JD thing, it's a pinball thing.

Quoted from jrivelli:

So you got a broken, non-working one for $1350. That basically proves it is not a $1400 game, but that's ok I know you won't be convinced so no worries. So, for a fully working game in great shape and some lights added (needs that with being so dark in the back) there is no reason it can't climb the 2k range.

Basically, it is all condition, which has been mentioned already.

Quoted from jalpert:

be willing to fix some switches, be willing to take some ramps off and switch out some rubber, and it's a $1,400 game

No offense, but you're opinion is a bit biased when it comes to a games value and LEDs. LEDs don't add any value. Find the right buyer and you might get the cost of the bulbs which is cheap.

Quoted from jrivelli:

So, for a fully working game in great shape and some lights added (needs that with being so dark in the back) there is no reason it can't climb the 2k range.

#79 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

What's your problem?

I suggested at $1,400 it might not be shiny, but cleaning a game up and maybe fixing some switches is not a broken non working game. Switches, cleaning and rubbers are just normal wear and tear. But yes, if you want it perfect, and you don't want to lift a finger, it's usually comes at a premium. It's not a JD thing, it's a pinball thing.

No offense, but you're opinion is a bit biased when it comes to a games value and LEDs. LEDs don't add any value. Find the right buyer and you might get the cost of the bulbs which is cheap.

I have no problem? I'm not taking stabs at you or anything, not upset. Just stating, you are convinced on your prices, and that is fine.

I'm not saying throw in some LEDs and they will raise the value. Do some lighting work though and it will. Add spotlights, lightstrips. You know, make super dark games playable type thing. Not just plug in some LEDs under inserts

I'm talking the stuff that takes 6-8 hours to do. If you ever make it over to this state hit me up and come check out the games. Couple other cool local guys have some great lighting as well. Always fun to see other's games and what they do in that area.

#80 6 years ago

It's all good, I did read it one way, but can see how it came off another.

IMO, really good LED lighting looks really good. Everything else, not so much. I am certainly a just put some LEDs under the inserts kind of guy when I do buy them.

Quoted from jrivelli:

I have no problem? I'm not taking stabs at you or anything, not upset. Just stating, you are convinced on your prices, and that is fine.

I'm not saying throw in some LEDs and they will raise the value. Do some lighting work though and it will. Add spotlights, lightstrips. You know, make super dark games playable type thing. Not just plug in some LEDs under inserts

I'm talking the stuff that takes 6-8 hours to do. If you ever make it over to this state hit me up and come check out the games. Couple other cool local guys have some great lighting as well. Always fun to see other's games and what they do in that area.

#81 6 years ago
Quoted from jalpert:

It's all good, I did read it one way, but can see how it came off another.
IMO, really good LED lighting looks really good. Everything else, not so much. I am certainly a just put some LEDs under the inserts kind of guy when I do buy them.

I do the same on a game or two I know I don't want to keep or the buyer doesn't want it lit up really well and I wouldn't charge extra or anything more than maybe 50-100$ for the LEDs I did put in and that would be because I probably shopped it pretty well at the same time

#82 6 years ago

I just paid 2k+ for my second JD. It's all good though. When I compare features compared next to newer Stern, I will pay 2k+ all day.

Not bashing Stern, but great theme and callouts. Cool comic art, 4 flippers, 2 VUKs, 4 ramps, 9 balls (if I remember right) 3 of which are captive (love this BTW) tons of wireforms, drop targets, oh and a solid build.

#83 6 years ago

I thought I read on a Pinside thread that someone took a stab at what a Dredd would sell for today if it was made new by Stern...I think it was said that with all that is going on, widebody, etc, it would run in the 7k range...

Regardless of price, I think its a hell-of-a-value pin even in the mid to high two's in nice shape. But again, thats just my opinion.

#84 6 years ago

You are the exception. Seems like everyone these days wants to get paid for changing light bulbs.

Quoted from jrivelli:

and I wouldn't charge extra or anything more than maybe 50-100$ for the LEDs I did put in and that would be because I probably shopped it pretty well at the same time

Bang for your buck, it's up there. It's got a ton of modes and most of them are really good. My biggest gripe is that the ramp shot and the orbit shot off the upper right flipper are under utilized. I'm not sure those shots do much of anything. Also, orbits from the upper left flipper don't do much as well.

Other than that, the humor is fun, the flow is really good, the super game is a hit with guests, and I like the art.

Quoted from burningman:

Regardless of price, I think its a hell-of-a-value pin even in the mid to high two's in nice shape. But again, thats just my opinion.

#85 6 years ago

So did anyone buy the JD listed on Cleveland's CL? The one that was supposedly "mint" but turned out to be waterlogged, etc.?

#86 6 years ago
Quoted from kwiKimart:

I remember seeing one for $2k in South SD 6 months ago.

Are you sure it wasn't north SD?

#87 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

So did anyone buy the JD listed on Cleveland's CL? The one that was supposedly "mint" but turned out to be waterlogged, etc.?

akroncanton.craigslist.org link

#88 6 years ago

Another pinsider on here went to see it and posted it had quite a few issues with it, namely having water marks and the INability to access the boards.

However, it was listed as "mint". I hate CL ads sometimes. I almost drove 3 hours to see this mint pin.

#89 6 years ago
Quoted from corvair61:

It also had gold pinballs

Where can I get gold pinballs?

#90 6 years ago
Quoted from burningman:

2k for a nice game seems right to me...Stack has an early production game and so do I. When mine is 100% with correct early production plastic's, new topper, Dead World Mod, LED's and few other things...I don't think I would let mine go for less than $2500. But I love my early production Dredd, so value is in the eye of the beholder...and I be holdin'...lol

Dredd is the most recent project that turned out to actually be an A+ for me and worth all the effort. I want to add gold legs and gold pinballs now. I may call the trophy store and get a LE #1 ever made plaque too! Hahahaa...

It's a $4k game if Stallone signs the translite... right??

#91 6 years ago
Quoted from Stack15:

There are other places, but here's one. Remember that Judge Dredd needs nine balls!
ebay.com link

#92 6 years ago

Any ball except silver is really hard to see.

Quoted from Stack15:

Not now, but maybe by christmas.

Quoted from Stack15:

It's a $4k game if Stallone signs the translite... right??

And lots of people. Because it's a really good game.

Quoted from Stack15:

Dredd is the most recent project that turned out to actually be an A+ for me

#93 6 years ago

There are other places, but here's one. Remember that Judge Dredd needs nine balls!
Ebay link

I meant gold pinballs and not posters of gold pinballs.

mmViVynulTiBxQZxRPsl-7w.jpg

#94 6 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Nice looking w topper. Everything works. No dead world mod.
I offered 1700$, then 1800$ and seller won't budge at 2k
Never playeD JD but am looking for a dmd
Is 2k a bit high?

Yes. On so many levels. Needs mod. Not reliable. 1600 max or youll lose money.

#95 6 years ago

I think what we are finding is there is a wide range of prices on Judge Dredd. I wanted one for quite awhile and never saw one for sale for less than $2k within 300 miles of me. So eventually I got on the $2k bandwagon and now I have one.

#96 6 years ago

Ironically, after Corvairs visit, the ad no longer says "mint"

#97 6 years ago
Quoted from Rody:

Ironically, after Corvairs visit, the ad no longer says "mint"

Hmm. My cl still says its "mint"

#98 6 years ago

Check your PM.
viperrwk

By the way, speaking of "paying it forward"... I passed this deal onto a friend in our pinball club and he snagged it..

cl-jd.jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 259.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
There are 98 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside