(Topic ID: 278081)

2 Week old machine and flippers are noticeably weaker.

By Jstevens

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Stern-Rebuilding-Flipper-Service-Bulletin.pdf (PDF preview)
#1 3 years ago

Hi all.
I purchased a Stern Jurassic Park Pro NIB about 2 Weeks ago. We have been playing it alot but I have noticed that the flippers are not hitting like they were when it was new somewhere around +/- 70%. I have checked the coil stops and they are fine. Also the coil sleeves and they are good too. EOS switches are set correctly. Only thing that I can think it might be is perhaps nod board 8 isn't doing its job correctly. Any help would be much appreciated. New to the hobby. Thanks again.

#2 3 years ago
Quoted from Jstevens:

Hi all.
I purchased a Stern Jurassic Park Pro NIB about 2 Weeks ago. We have been playing it alot but I have noticed that the flippers are not hitting like they were when it was new somewhere around +/- 70%. I have checked the coil stops and they are fine. Also the coil sleeves and they are good too. EOS switches are set correctly. Only thing that I can think it might be is perhaps nod board 8 isn't doing its job correctly. Any help would be much appreciated. New to the hobby. Thanks again.

Did you remove the coil stops and inspect, or just look at them installed?

#3 3 years ago

2 weeks old?

I would first contact the distributor you bought it from, if they can't/won't help, then contact Stern directly.

#4 3 years ago

My guess is bad coil stops... common on new Sterns.
Order some new replacements from pinball life.

#5 3 years ago

I second that u need to remove the coil stops to verify that the rivited stop is still in place.

#6 3 years ago
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Jstevens:

Hi all.

Is this your first game? Have you cleaned the playfield? 2 weeks of constant playing Without wiping down Or cleaning the playfield should show some difference in the play ability. However, if it’s a considerable difference, then yea, may want to look into the coil stops as some have suggested.

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

look at them installed?

Yes I removed and inspected them. Also the coil sleeves. They looked good. I have some new stops ordered.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

More
Is this your first game? Have you cleaned the playfield? 2 weeks of constant playing Without wiping down Or cleaning the playfield should show some difference in the play ability. However, if it’s a considerable difference, then yea, may want to look into the coil stops as some have suggested

Yes cleaned and waxed the play field. Have checked everything. You can even tell from the sound from the flippers. They aren't hitting as hard as when it was new. I contacted stern via email and haven't heard from them yet..

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from Jstevens:

Yes I removed and inspected them. Also the coil sleeves. They looked good. I have some new stops ordered.

I'd check the EOS contacts and the flipper button contacts, then. On KISS if the EOS was making contact, but it wasn't solid, it gave you really crappy flipper power. So manually move the flipper and look at that EOS connection. Likewise make sure the flipper switch leaves haven't moved out too far and aren't making good contact anymore. Bend them in toward the cabinet if need be.

If both those check out, make sure you have a credit card's thickness of clearance on between your flipper and the flipper bushing by pulling up on the flipper vertically. It should move a little, then go down when you release. If it doesn't the shaft may have worked its way down causing the flipper to bind on the bushing, robbing it of power.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Is this your first game? Have you cleaned the playfield? 2 weeks of constant playing Without wiping down Or cleaning the playfield should show some difference in the play ability. However, if it’s a considerable difference, then yea, may want to look into the coil stops as some have suggested.

what????????? where did you come up with this nonsense?

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

looked good. I have some new stops ordered.

I'd check the EOS contacts and the flipper button contacts, then. On KISS if the EOS was making contact, but it wasn't solid, it gave you really crappy flipper power. So manually move the flipper and look at that EOS connection. Likewise make sure the flipper switch leaves haven't moved out too far and aren't making good contact anymore. Bend them in toward the cabinet if need be.

I haven't checked the button switches yet that may help. My brother purchased a Black Knight LE about a month before I did and he is having the same problem. On his we have changed the coils and flipper mechs and it hasn't helped his either. Just hoping there isn't a bad batch of nod boards they are north of $250..

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Jstevens:

I haven't checked the button switches yet that may help. My brother purchased a Black Knight LE about a month before I did and he is having the same problem. On his we have changed the coils and flipper mechs and it hasn't helped his either. Just hoping there isn't a bad batch of nod boards they are north of $250..

Likely it's something simple.

And if you're desperate, you can eliminate the node 8 board as the problem by swapping Node 8 and 9 (setting the dip switches appropriately) and seeing if the problem goes away.

You're under warranty, though, so if it is the node board, you're covered, and he should be too.

But I doubt it's 2 node boards.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If both those check out, make sure you have a credit card's thickness of clearance on between your flipper and the flipper bushing by pulling up on the flipper vertically

This. I bet your flippers are installed with no clearance. Being pulled into the coil at an angle causes friction between the plunger and sleeve and will sap power. They probably worked OK at first because everything was new, but once a little pinball dust was generated it grinds into the sleeve.

What you want is the plunger to pull into the coil perfectly straight. Sometimes a bit more than a CC worth of clearance is needed for this.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

what????????? where did you come up with this nonsense?

Just trying to rule out the obvious. Some people may not clean their playfield after a few hundred games and it would be a considerable difference in play. Is that ok with you? SHEESH.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Likely it's something simple.

And if you're desperate, you can eliminate the node 8 board as the problem by swapping Node 8 and 9 (setting the dip switches appropriately) and seeing if the problem goes away.

You're under warranty, though, so if it is the node board, you're covered, and he should be too.

But I doubt it's 2 node boards.

Thanks for the help. I'm going to check the button switches in the morning and if that doesn't work then I'll swap them out and see if that helps. Yes I believe it is more than likely something small. Hope we get it figured out.
Once I get the problem resolved I'll let you guys know what it was. Thanks again.

#17 3 years ago

Here’s another thought, simple check which may lure in other technical a-holes, but Screw it - at least I’ll offer ideas and help. But, check the gap of your flipper(s) and Make sure they’re not dragging or getting caught on the playfield. I know some people have had that issue on newer sterns. I believe the simple check is being able to place a credit card smoothly through the gap.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Just trying to rule out the obvious. Some people may not clean their playfield after a few hundred games and it would be a considerable difference in play. Is that ok with you? SHEESH.

Not sure why your original comment provoked such a hostile response (seems to be the tenor of the times at Pinside these days, unfortunately), but you were absolutely correct to make this suggestion.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Here’s another thought, simple check which may lure in other technical a-holes, but Screw it - at least I’ll offer ideas and help. But, check the gap of your flipper(s) and Make sure they’re not dragging or getting caught on the playfield. I know some people have had that issue on newer sterns. I believe the simple check is being able to place a credit card smoothly through the gap.

Most of the parts stores sell a flipper gap tool with their rebuild kits which is 1/32" thick. A credit card does essentially the same thing. For whatever reason, it sounds like your mechanism does not have enough space and should be an easy fix with an allen wrench. I've attached the Service Bulletin #108 that discusses this topic for the SEGA-style flipper mechanisms and all mechanisms have similiar gap requirements in this respect. Look at the middle of the second page and they specific under the note that "1/32" UP and Down movement"

Stern-Rebuilding-Flipper-Service-Bulletin.pdfStern-Rebuilding-Flipper-Service-Bulletin.pdf

#20 3 years ago

The flipper gap is a good suggestion. I've seen humidity level changes and the games level change this gap and cause flipper binding.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 28.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

Machine - For Sale
Hutto, TX
$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

11,795 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Highland Lakes, NJ
€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 289.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Maine Home Recreation

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

6,150 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Anaheim, CA
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 18.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2-weeks-old-flippers-are-noticeably-weaker- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.