Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Star_Gazer
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

My recently purchased Gorgar does not start, only general lights do work (no blinking ones).
Game doesnot give me credit, and there a 2 steady red leds on the CPU board.
Should these lights be blinking or off/on? any help appreciated

#3 5 years ago

Lights on means it's not booting. They should turn off and stay off normally. http://www.flippers.info/system6repairpart4.asp

#4 5 years ago

More than likely your problem lies within the long interconnect connector that runs between the CPU and the MPU. Try giving everything a little reseat and wiggle to see if the game jumps back to life. If it does, you'll know you'll need to replace those connectors. It's not terribly difficult.

Alternatively, gently pushing on the socketed ICs on the MPU might bring the game back to life. William's used Scanbe/RN sockets that were just awful quality back then. If doing so works, you'll really want to swap them out for proper sockets.

At the end of the day, you'll probably want to resocket everything anyway. That's the only way to really bulletproof things.

3 weeks later
#5 5 years ago

Oke now i just bought a second Gorgar (mainly for the backglass, since it was missing)
When i turn it on, 4/5 cols are fired and stay activated (the magnet etc) what could be wrong, some short?
Help appreciated!

#6 5 years ago

The 40-pin interconnect is again suspect. This connector passes the logic data busses between the driver and the cpu. If any of the contacts are flaky it will bomb out the processor.

Making it even worse, WMS used round pins for the driver board header, minimizing the surface area of the pins.

They also used poor quality sockets for the chips that can cause the same symptoms as a bad 40-pin.

And the ever-present battery corrosion.

And...

#7 5 years ago

The 40-pin interconnect is again suspect...

Pulling it out already, thanks!

#8 5 years ago

Took boards out and cleaned the pins, didn't work out, actually it got worse, since the leds now not even light anymore. Do i need a a battery (holder) to start the cpu?
GI works, soundboard works when pressing test (only sound effect, no speech)

#9 5 years ago

No, battery not required. In the manual there's some diagrams of signals that have to be present to function. Also the voltage Test Points on the power supply, system board and driver all need to be verified.

#10 5 years ago

Oke some progress here, a second board (i've got 2 Gorgars!)gives the led a short blink then 3 coils seem to be locked (outhole, eject and the snakepit magnet)..cleaned that connector, didnt help.

#11 5 years ago

Hurray! Displays now working and attract mode lights, using the on/off switch a couple of times, but game does not go to normal gameplay, any suggestions?

#12 5 years ago

Is the credit button tested in the switch test mode? mine is not recognized, can anyone confirm...cannot ad credits at the moment..

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 42.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 11.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,900 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Franklin, VA
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
The Flipper Room

$ 1.49
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2-red-lights-on-my-gorgar-cpu-board?hl=mbaumle and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.