Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by D-Gottlieb
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20150614_115657.jpg
IMG_20150614_115614.jpg

#1 3 years ago

First Post! I just bought a 1975 Gottlieb Top Score that works quite well, except for one thing- The lights on the rollover add bonus lanes on the right side and some of the targets are supposed to alternate after any scoring event that causes the game motor to rotate (500 point target, etc.) Instead, they stay lit in the same configuration and don't alternate with the result that some stay on all the time and some never light at all. The machine was set to liberal, so I tried changing that to the mid point, but that didn't solve the problem. Where should I look next? I have the manual and schematic, but I am just starting to make sense of the diagram.

One more thing- I would like to separate the action of the two pop bumpers instead of having them cycle together when one is triggered. I can see that the schematic has them wired together. What is the simplest way to accomplish this?

I apologize if these topics have been covered earlier, but I didn't see anything in my search.

Thanks.

#2 3 years ago

There is an AS style relay on the bottom side of the playfield that is gummed up. It needs to at least be lubed and at worst disassembled, cleaned, reassembled, and lubed.

#3 3 years ago

I will look for that.

#4 3 years ago

Will almost guarantee that the relay is the problem, have had the same issue with my C37, can be tricky to get it just right.

#5 3 years ago

Congrats on Top Score! That's one of my favorites.

MikeO got it right - check your AS relay.

As far as making the pop bumpers fire independently, the simple answer is you don't; yours is working properly.

#6 3 years ago

Thank you for the congrats. I do realize that the bumpers are connected correctly. Sometimes the ball will die when bouncing from one bumper into the other one as it is resetting. I want to keep it moving!

#7 3 years ago

So I checked and cleaned the AS relay. This is the one that is attached under the left underside of the playfield. It unplugs, so that is nice. I cleaned out the old grease and relubed it and did not appear to need any adjustment. It didn't fix the issue. Still baffled at this. The spinning target does work and advances the bonus as it should. What is happening is that there are some rollovers, "add bonus when lit", that never light up and there are some that never turn off. As I recall from playing this machine as a kid, the rollovers are supposed to alternate.

#8 3 years ago

So the AS relay you cleaned does two things.
1. It accumulates spins to add bonus.
2. It is supposed to drive an alternating relay that changes the lighting side to side in the bagatelle area.

On item 2 above we need to be careful. It could be that the AS relay drives the 100 point score relay which could drive the alternating relay.

Look for your alternating relay. Most probably it is on the bottom side of the playfield. Let us know if Item 2 above appears to be correct or if the alternating relay is driven off of the 100's score relay.

#9 3 years ago

Thanks for your help. The alternating relay does does not energize under any circumstances. when I activate it by hand, the lights switch as they should. So you have narrowed it down to the alternating relay not getting power. I have attached a pic of the AS and alternating relays. Of note is the blue jumper wires and I am wondering if those were added by some one. I don't really know how to be able to determine whether the 100s relay or the AS relay is wired to the alternating relay. The schematic indicates that it is connected to the AS relay. I am new at this, if you have a good method to check this please share.

IMG_20150614_115614.jpg IMG_20150614_115657.jpg
#10 3 years ago

Looking at the schematics the A (Alternating Relay) relay is energised by contacts on the KS (Advance Unit Relay) relay your bottom pic. Contacts on A will alternate the side rollover lights.
The blue wires are factory wired. I trust this helps.

#11 3 years ago

Right, got that. Thanks for the info on the blue wires. Now to figure out why the AS relay is not powering the alternating relay....

#12 3 years ago

From your picture I can make out the solder tabs of a switch separate from the followers on the circuit boards.

This switch will be actuated by a black cam that rotates with the spindle of the KS relay. It should actuate a simple make switch by which the A relay is energized when made and deenergized when not.

Inspect there.

#13 3 years ago

The black cam that you mention is there. I will try cleaning those contacts again. Thanks!

#14 3 years ago

It seems to be working now! Awesome! thank you very much!

#15 3 years ago

I still want to rewire the pop bumpers to fire independently. I guess I will have to add a pop bumper relay?

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from D-Gottlieb:

I still want to rewire the pop bumpers to fire independently. I guess I will have to add a pop bumper relay?

Yes, you would have to wire in another pop bumper relay. You would also have to wire in a separate score switch. I suspect there is at least one other circuit you would have to address. As mods go on a game, this would be one of the more direct and simple ones.

#17 3 years ago

I am not quite there yet, as far as my confidence is concerned. I just rebuilt the flippers today with Steve Young's kit. There was a broken flipper bushing that needed replacing. I gotta say, I am very pleased with the kit and doing business with Steve.

1 week later
#18 3 years ago

I have gone over the schematic to the best of my ability, which is to say not too well, and I can't figure out how to rewire the pop bumpers to activate independently. Has anyone done this mod?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
888 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Wayne, IN
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 45.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 399.95
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 90.00
$ 22.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 12,500.00
Pinball Machine
Great American Pinball
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Operation Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 26.50
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 144.00
Lighting - Backbox
The MOD Couple
$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside