Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 47 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by Billy16
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

61+Dp92H-nL._AC_SL1230_ (resized).jpg
    image-901.jpg
    image-914.jpg
    image-945.jpg
    image-941.jpg
    image-237.jpg
    image-289.jpg
    #1 9 years ago

How many pins can you connect to one subwoofer? I know you can up to 4 with the pinnovator thing.

Without that, can 2 be hooked up or just one?

Thanks,

Darin

#2 9 years ago

depends on the sub, but the Polk PSW10 has 2 separate inputs that can be use simultaneously.

#3 9 years ago

So if both pins are being played simultaneously is there any issue?

#5 9 years ago

not for me. somehow it works perfectly.

#6 9 years ago

personally I'd rather keep it "in cab" and upgrade to a much more efficient woofer, but thats me..

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

personally I'd rather keep it "in cab" and upgrade to a much more efficient woofer, but thats me..

Advantage of the external sub is that when the pin leaves the sub stays behind

#8 9 years ago

If you wanted a plug n play connection for your sub let me know $35 for the adapter wiring and shipping.
    The Polk I use I run my two games off it, one RCA input to each game

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Advantage of the external sub is that when the pin leaves the sub stays behind

lol maybe, but a really efficient woofer can be had for under 20 bucks delivered, if its being sold theres not "does the sub go with it?", they're just looking underneath wondering "where the sub?!", kinda fun.

#10 9 years ago
    Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

lol maybe, but a really efficient woofer can be had for under 20 bucks delivered, if its being sold theres not "does the sub go with it?", they're just looking underneath wondering "where the sub?!", kinda fun.

What is your suggestion on that?

I have a friend with an ACDC premium which has an upgraded in-cab woofer and a SM with the external. Seems to me the external sounds better with no cab rattle. I'm certainly open to suggestions though.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

If you wanted a plug n play connection for your sub let me know $35 for the adapter wiring and shipping.
    The Polk I use I run my two games off it, one RCA input to each game

Got any pics of this adapter.

#12 9 years ago

I run 2 pins on each of my subs. I have not encountered any issues, even when both are being played at the same time.

#13 9 years ago
    Quoted from VolunteerPin:

What is your suggestion on that?
    I have a friend with an ACDC premium which has an upgraded in-cab woofer and a SM with the external. Seems to me the external sounds better with no cab rattle. I'm certainly open to suggestions though.

My experience as well, if low bass response and feel is what you are after only an external powered sub will deliver that.

#14 9 years ago

Volunteer, absolutely true about external not rattling cab the same way (chasing it out with foam tape can be a chore too no doubt!) but for inexpensive high Db on small wattage, MCM are great.
    http://www.mcmelectronics.com/product/55-2950 , they make similar in 10's and 12's too.

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from PinRob:

Got any pics of this adapter.

Yes
    Sam board $35 includes adapter and wiring to the sub plus free shipping in the USA.
    Sam board
    image-289.jpgimage-289.jpg

Sam board that comes with our headphone kit package
    image-945.jpgimage-945.jpg

image-237.jpgimage-237.jpgimage-914.jpgimage-914.jpg

Wms games we add the output to our adapter
    Wms board adapters $40 includes wiring to sub and free shipping in USA
    image-941.jpgimage-941.jpgimage-901.jpgimage-901.jpg

#16 9 years ago

Two pins on one sub with stereo speaker level inputs. One uses right channel the other uses left channel. I just solder alligator clips to 6ft of speaker wire and clip to cabinet speaker leads. Run the other end thru a cabinet vent hole and to the L or R input on the sub. very easy, no issues. I am running 5 subs right now.

#17 9 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

Two pins on one sub with stereo speaker level inputs. One uses right channel the other uses left channel. I just solder alligator clips to 6ft of speaker wire and clip to cabinet speaker leads. Run the other end thru a cabinet vent hole and to the L or R input on the sub. very easy, no issues. I am running 5 subs right now.

Same with our adapters. One RCA from one game one RCA from the other.

#18 9 years ago

I have IM and Avengers on the same sub.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from msj2222:

and to the L or R input on the sub.

I follow you right up to here. If you have two wires clipped to the cabinet speaker, do you just stick both wires into the single L or R input??

Edit: don't mind me. I just went and looked at a sub. L and R both have input for two wires.

#20 9 years ago

Since the subwoofer in the cab of the pinball is a single mono speaker, yes you can use the Polk PSW10 for 2 pins. One input for left and one input for right going to the powered subwoofer. Excellent cost savings and efficient. 2-for-1

#21 9 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

I follow you right up to here. If you have two wires clipped to the cabinet speaker, do you just stick both wires into the single L or R input??
    Edit: don't mind me. I just went and looked at a sub. L and R both have input for two wires.

#22 9 years ago
    Quoted from lllvjr:

Same with our adapters. One RCA from one game one RCA from the other is how I run two into mine at home.

Quoted from msj2222:

Any need to solder the speaker wires together and make an RCA or just put in the Left and Right speaker wire inputs (which is what I am planning on doing)? I just want to make sure I both my pins can be played simultaneously without any crossover.

Also, and suggestions on the crossover dial setting on the back of the Polk?

Thanks. Hoping on getting these set up in the next day or so.

#23 9 years ago

No RCA needed for 2 pins. A piece of speaker wire from the cabinet speaker in each pin to each speaker level input on the sub.

You need to play around with the volume and crossover setting to see what you like best and what works best for your pins. I find that the volume needs to be all the way up on most pins. I would start with the crossover at the highest setting and see if that generates too much or muddy bass and turn it down from there. You also want to make sure the polarity on your speaker wires is correct (+ to red, - to black)

#24 9 years ago

Any need to solder the speaker wires together and make an RCA or just put in the Left and Right speaker wire inputs (which is what I am planning on doing)? I just want to make sure I both my pins can be played simultaneously without any crossover.
    Also, and suggestions on the crossover dial setting on the back of the Polk?
    Thanks. Hoping on getting these set up in the next day or so.

No to the RCA connector, just use the speaker level inputs. As far as levels go it probably depends on the pins volume, sound quality, and your taste. Most of mine I have the crossover @ around 11 o'clock and the volume about 2 o'clock. Just slide the sub forward near your feet so you can tweek while playing and when you are happy with it slide it back. Good luck, enjoy, it really enhances the experience. Best mod for the $

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Schwaggs:

No RCA needed for 2 pins. A piece of speaker wire from the cabinet speaker in each pin to each speaker level input on the sub.
    You need to play around with the volume and crossover setting to see what you like best and what works best for your pins. I find that the volume needs to be all the way up on most pins. I would start with the crossover at the highest setting and see if that generates too much or muddy bass and turn it down from there. You also want to make sure the polarity on your speaker wires is correct (+ to red, - to black)

Coming off the woofer are two yellow wires...one has a stripe. I think I read somewhere that the convention for speakers is the striped wire is the negative. Is this true? (The posts on the woofer are not marked +/-.

#26 9 years ago

I think I answered my own question...on Flipper Fidelity's instructions which I found online they mention the striped wire being negative.

I have both games hooked up and it is a very nice addition.

Thanks to everyone who had some input.

Darin

#27 9 years ago

I should have mentioned this, the cabinet wires will not be black and red to indicate polarity. You can closely look at the speaker itself and there will be a little + sign on the terminal strip where the spade or solder lugs are or a little dab of red paint. That will be a sure indication of which wire is + and should go to the red subwoofer connection...

#28 9 years ago

I gotta give major props to the great guys from Pinnovators. I have their PINsmx subwoofer connector system. With it you can hook up to 4 machines on one sub! I have 3 machines on one sub myself and it works flawlessly and was a breeze to install. Very straight forward and if you have and issues, hit Lorenzo up and he'll take care of you and get you up and running in no time.

Additionally, if anyone has any installation questions, feel free to ask me as well.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

I gotta give major props to the great guys from Pinnovators. I have their PINsmx subwoofer connector system. With it you can hook up to 4 machines on one sub! I have 3 machines on one sub myself and it works flawlessly and was a breeze to install. Very straight forward and if you have and issues, hit Lorenzo up and he'll take care of you and get you up and running in no time.
    Additionally, if anyone has any installation questions, feel free to ask me as well.

How is the sound if all four machines are being played at the same time? Seems like a lot of signal for the sub to handle.

#30 9 years ago

Sounds perfect. I have no issues at all with mine. And when you are playing your machine, you naturally hear the sounds of your machine over the others same as you do when your playing in an arcade, or at home with individual subs under each machine.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinfidel:

I gave serious thought to getting one of these. I have 2 pins on one wall and then the others are on the opposite wall. When I get my Hobbit delivered I'd say there is a decent chance I'll buy another sub and then use the pinnnovators thing to hook up 3 or 4 pins.

#32 9 years ago

Did I see some sort of add on somewhere that can get more bass without cranking the game volume way up?

#33 9 years ago

I gave serious thought to getting one of these. I have 2 pins on one wall and then the others are on the opposite wall. When I get my Hobbit delivered I'd say there is a decent chance I'll buy another sub and then use the pinnnovators thing to hook up 3 or 4 pins.

Hey D!

Yeah, the Pinnovators sub kit is really cool and super easy to install. If you need any help, (you got my number) shoot me a call and I'll walk you through it.

Good luck and have a great Christmas and New Year with your family brothah.

#34 9 years ago

Well, I hopefully have an offer coming on some land this week. If that actually happens, I'm going to try to pick up a 2-3 pins in the near future which will give me enough pins on one wall to perhaps make it worthwhile.

Oh, please, please, let the offer come, baby!

Quoted from Pinfidel:Hey D!
    Yeah, the Pinnovators sub kit is really cool and super easy to install. If you need any help, (you got my number) shoot me a call and I'll walk you through it.
    Good luck and have a great Christmas and New Year with your family brothah.

#35 9 years ago
    Quoted from aobrien5:

Did I see some sort of add on somewhere that can get more bass without cranking the game volume way up?

On every sub there's an independent control that you can crank up your subs bass more and of course you can adjust it down as well.

Additionally, the Pinnovators PINsmx box actually has 4 individual controls on it that you can easily adjust each of your 4 machines by just using a phillips screwdriver. I haven't adjusted them myself as I felt the bass output was perfectly set with the Pinnovators factory settings.

It works awesome and I love it. If I had a bunch more machines and the proper set up, I would definitely hook up 4 machines at a time to 1 sub with multiple PINsmx boxes. The thing is straight genius!

Just an idea - For me, I bought a remote control outlet box. I plugged that into one of my outlets and then plugged the subwoofer into it. Then I take the remote control and turn it on and off when I want to use it so I don't have to crawl underneath the machines to turn the sub on and off every time. Simply hit the remotes on button, and on it comes. Hit the off button and it turns it right off.

Here's a link to the ones I bought. It's a 5 pack that came with 2 remotes and they are all single outlets. They sell all types of these including some that have dual outlets. So do some research and see which ones you like best. I bought the 5 pack cause I use them to also turn my Christmas tree and Christmas caroler village on and off. GL.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FAII8EM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

#36 9 years ago

Well, I hopefully have an offer coming on some land this week. If that actually happens, I'm going to try to pick up a 2-3 pins in the near future which will give me enough pins on one wall to perhaps make it worthwhile.
    Oh, please, please, let the offer come, baby!

Awesome! I pray all things work out for you and your family bro. Lord willing, it will go through. If not, an even better deal will come along soon after.

GL D!

#37 9 years ago

Yep. Thanks. Would be fun to fill up the game room more right before Christmas

#38 9 years ago

Thanks, I just turned the game volume down and played around with it some more. Sounds much better. I think everything was just getting washed out with the game volume too high.

#39 9 years ago

I know this thread is for 2 pins on one sub.

How about 2 subs on 1 pin?

I only have 1 pin - TWDLE. I put my JBL SUB150P 8" on it with Pinnovators Head Phone and Sub Kit and it is incredible!

So Black Friday happened and I suddenly found a Polk PSW505 12" sub waiting for me at my front door. The 12" pounds sure but I kept looking over at the 8" forgotten in the corner and you know what? Yes I did!

I run the 8" with full signal and it adds a deep richness to all the call outs and general beeps and boops. Then I added the 12" and limited the signal to only the lowest frequencies for it and well... you can imagine.

Good times!

#40 9 years ago

Well I've been bombarded enough for Wms/Bally sub plug ins and they are a pain to custom build. So I'm running all new adapters for each Wms sound board. These new adapter will have the 3.5mm audio out just like my Sam boards do now. Ill continue to custom make those waiting on orders for now. But by the end of the month i can stop making them by hand

Texas pinball festival is a go. Ill have tron and Metallica there for those who never got a chance to see the sub plug ins or our headphone kits.

Big thanks to pinsiders helping find games for the booth!

5 years later
    #41 3 years ago

I need help with my subwoofer.

I want to connect 2 machines (JP2 and TMNT) to my sub.
    If I power up machine A, machine B's connected speaker starts to make a rhythmic click noise.
    I connect the machine A's speaker with a cable to the left input and machine B's speaker to the right input.
    The sub works if i just connect one pin to it.

This is the second subwoofer I try with the same issue.
    I even tried a audio switch with the same result
    https://www.amazon.de/DeLock-Switch-4-port-manuell-bidirektional/dp/B00N79ML0S/ref=sr_1_5
    61+Dp92H-nL._AC_SL1230_ (resized).jpg61+Dp92H-nL._AC_SL1230_ (resized).jpg

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from ABE_FLIPS:

I need help with my subwoofer.
    I want to connect 2 machines (JP2 and TMNT) to my sub.
    If I power up machine A, machine B's connected speaker starts to make a rhythmic click noise.
    I connect the machine A's speaker with a cable to the left input and machine B's speaker to the right input.
    The sub works if i just connect one pin to it.
    This is the second subwoofer I try with the same issue.
    I even tried a audio switch with the same result
    amazon.com link »
    [quoted image]

If I were you, I would get pinnovators submixer, which allows four machines to be hooked up to it with no interference. I’ve had interference issues when hooking up two spike games to the same sub. Not sure why, maybe a ground issue, but pinnovators product fixed it. I’d also recommend there Pinsub board, which enhances the signal and provide very clean and clear sound with great bass.

#43 3 years ago

thank you is saw that, but i waited 4 months for my last order from the US to europe. USPS....
    is there an alternative product?

#44 3 years ago

It would help if you had a sub with two sets of inputs. There most likely is a work-around with having only on set of inputs--hopefully someone has done this and can post it for you. For what it is worth I have run 2 pins off one sub and didn't like it all that much, I prefer the sound and feel of having the sub right under the table as opposed to having it between two pins.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

It would help if you had a sub with two sets of inputs. There most likely is a work-around with having only on set of inputs--hopefully someone has done this and can post it for you. For what it is worth I have run 2 pins off one sub and didn't like it all that much, I prefer the sound and feel of having the sub right under the table as opposed to having it between two pins.

What model sub are you using?

#46 3 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

Canton AS 2020 SC
    https://www.canton.de/de/archiv/as-2020-sc

#47 3 years ago
    Quoted from ToucanF16:

I have a several different subs, I just bought whatever I found that was reasonable off Craigslist or Ebay--kept the good ones and re-sold the poorer sounding subs. The Dayton 12" powered subs from Parts Express work very well if you are buying new.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2-pins-per-subwoofer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.