(Topic ID: 309413)

SOLVED! 2 pins - 1 subwoofer - Audio Line Mixer?

By NightTrain

2 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 21 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by mbwalker
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    2FB8523E-5079-4DB9-B311-B518344DADB5 (resized).jpeg
    adjuster (resized).JPG
    RCA plug (resized).JPG
    speaker (resized).jpg
    splitter (resized).JPG
    subwoofer (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobwiley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

Electrical engineer here...
    Old thread, but I should probably chime in here. A better way is to convert to a low-level using an adapter, and use the low-level input to the woofer. By using a low-level adapter, it presents a a somewhat high impedance to the pin's audio amplifier (i.e. you're not connecting another woofer in parallel). The audio adapter is used primarily by car audio guys when they need to connect an amplifier/woofers.
    When you used the mixer in your original post, you likely overloaded the mixer.
    The adapter below attaches to the pin's woofer, then it outputs a level appropriate for a mixer or the line connector on an active sub. It also acts as a 'BALUN' (important for some pin's amplifiers, like a SPIKE) and breaks any ground loops.
    [quoted image]

On a related question, I have a racing arcade that has 5 speakers. Two above the monitor, 2 in the headrest and one woofer under the seat. The woofer under the seat is supposed to give a tactile feel, so when you go over bumps and stuff it vibrates. The issue is the game is too loud for my house I'd I set the level to feel the bass in the seat. To my understanding, just adding potentiometers to the other 4 speakers to reduce their levels so I can feel the bass but not go deaf from the music would put excess load on the audio board because of the increased resistance, correct? So what would I use to allow the seat level to be louder? It's all speaker wire going to each speaker, I don't have low level line outs to work with. Just a dummy amp where one volume control built in the software controls all the speakers.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from mbwalker:

You could use what's called a 'L-Pad', that will keep a constant impedance to the amp, and they are usually rated for higher power.
    Here's a random google search for an L-Pad:
    https://www.simplyspeakers.com/speaker-crossover-l-pad-a-542.html

Awesome, thanks,! So I'd need 4 L-pads, correct. 4 to the speakers I want to lower the volume to and the seat speaker (which I want to be louder) I would just leave that as is running directly from the sound board/amp)?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider bobwiley.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2-pins-1-subwoofer-audio-line-mixer?tu=bobwiley and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.