(Topic ID: 57915)

2 Pinball Questions (X-Files & Super Mario Related)

By LesManley

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Pinwizkid
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

1. Is X-Files really this bad? Stopped into a local place that has one on route and played a few games. FBI ramp to start a pretty bland mode. Keep shooting the file cabinet to start multiball and shoot the X shots. Game has a lot of flow with a bunch of semi orbit shots, but man is it boring. There isn't anything else to it that I could see. Granted I didn't play it all night, but am I missing something? My favorite was the trivia game. "Fox is the first name of...Mulder or Scully?" If you have never heard of the show, the id cards on the playfield kinda give it away.

2. Is Super Mario Bros really that easy? Fun game, but holy balls, I literally could have played the game all night long. I played for over 30 minutes and finally just ended up draining 5 balls so I could enter my initials cause I had to go. I got all 7 castles twice and then some. Ended up with 1.3 billion. It's a Gottlieb so it is a lot of the same thing over and over, but man, for only ever playing it twice I wasn't expecting to dominate it that much.

#2 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

1. Is X-files really this bad?

No, it's actually worse; just a chore to play.

#3 10 years ago

X-files is really fun when you first own it but then it loses steam. I personally thought the modes were quite fun. I liked the animations that went along with the mode and how it progresses as you hit the correct shots. It only takes 1 shot to start a mode at the beginning of each ball but after you finish a mode it takes 3 shots to spell FBI. That is when it becames hard. The ramp shots are way too tight.
I do agree that it does have a ton of flow though. If the ramps were just a bit more wide the game would be really solid. But like TheLaw said, it becomes a chore to play eventually.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

X-files is really fun when you first own it but then it loses steam. I personally thought the modes were quite fun. I liked the animations that went along with the mode and how it progresses as you hit the correct shots. It only takes 1 shot to start a mode at the beginning of each ball but after you finish a mode it takes 3 shots to spell FBI. That is when it becames hard. The ramp shots are way too tight.
I do agree that it does have a ton of flow though. If the ramps were just a bit more wide the game would be really solid. But like TheLaw said, it becomes a chore to play eventually.

I suppose it didn't help that the X-Files theme doesn't do anything for me. Is there a wizard mode? Anything else for finishing the modes? Something else beside the file cabinet, modes and X shots?

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

Is there a wizard mode?

Yes. The is a Blood wizard mode. You have to start all 9 modes (not complete) but there is 0% chance that will ever happen with those ramps.

Quoted from LesManley:

Something else beside the file cabinet, modes and X shots?

Hitting the left ramp with start Tomes (sp) where you mash on the start button to stretch out his arm for a pretty big score. But other than that it is all about the modes and the file cabinet.

Quoted from LesManley:

Anything else for finishing the modes?

You just get more points for finishing mode. The big problem is that there is nothing that tells you how many modes you have started so you don't know how far you have advanced towards the wizard mode.

How much is the guy asking?

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from LesManley:

I suppose it didn't help that the X-files theme doesn't do anything for me. Is there a wizard mode?

I Still Liked X-Files a lot when this game came out and it didn;t help me like it anymore.

I have heard it has a Wizard mode and very tough to get to.

#7 10 years ago
Quoted from captainadam_21:

Yes. The is a Blood wizard mode. You have to complete all 9 modes but there is 0% chance that will ever happen with those ramps.

Hitting the left ramp with start Tomes (sp) where you mash on the start button to stretch out his arm for a pretty big score. But other than that it is all about the modes and the file cabinet.

You just get more points for finishing mode. The big problem is that there is nothing that tells you how many modes you have started so you don't know how far you have advanced towards the wizard mode.
How much is the guy asking?

Ramps are narrow. I did wish there was something to tell me about progress on the modes too.

I don't think he is selling the games. They are on route at a local pizza place along with WWFRR, NGG and Gladiator.

#8 10 years ago

I don;t think the ramps are as bad as the Sega hardware. I've always wanted to play one with W/B flippers mechs in them to see if it made it more fun to play.

#9 10 years ago

Where are these at?

#10 10 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Where are these at?

Rocco's Pizza
2750 Lake Shore Ave, Little Canada, MN 55117

Ed Hansen is the owner. Real nice guy. Pizza's good too.

#11 10 years ago

1) No, it isn't that bad, it's probably worse. Nothing personal if you like X-Files (I like lots of stupid games!), but the game is utterly lacking in substance. I love how the game looks, but something about it just FEELS wrong.

The designer, Rob Hurtado, seems to make his games with relatively skinny ramps, but I don't generally find that a problem. Viper was another by him, and I'm more than willing to state that I love that one. I think it's a combination of software, and the layout plays surprisingly slow for a game with so many shots that loop back...

2) With the Gottlieb Mario game, it depends on how it is set up. It most definitely *can* be set up harder, but it has a lot of safe shots. I remember that when I was playing it, I kept shooting the left upper playfield, hitting it around up there, and then shooting that again, giving me really long ball times.

#12 10 years ago

Hold the right flipper button and press start button starts wizard mode.

#13 10 years ago

You can see the status of how you are doing on your episodes by holding the left flipper down and paging through with the right flipper. Like any other game, there are objectives, shots, and theme. I think the artwork is pretty solid, sound is ..... adequate. The stereo speaker mod can help. I like getting the tooms mode. Just like Metallica is a lot more than just bashing sparky to start Multiball, X-files has more than just bashing the cabinet.

Ball control is important, that inside loop can be wicked fast and jump the flippers in the blink of an eye. The skinny ramps demand accuracy.

As with most pinballs, if all the features and switches are working, and it's reasonably clean, you should be able to find one or two bits of enjoyment.

Your Pinside X-files apologist

Glenn

ps. I have the alien baby with Rob Hurtado's signature - woot!

#14 10 years ago

Set up difficult, the file cabinet will make you pay, sending the ball out of control constantly. Choosing Scully and going for the green "X" multiball is the best strategy in my opinion... just requires skilled shot making, and the multiball will have a huge payout if you are good.

1 month later
#15 10 years ago

X-Files doesn't get much love here but I am a huge fan of the game. I think it is loaded with modes and simply starting the wizard mode is damn near impossible. The artwork works for me, very dark and incorporates the show well.

Ramps are tight, and the game gets progressively harder. Takes a few games to warm up to I think, but I never pass an opportunity to play. Would love to own someday.

#16 10 years ago

Mario Bros is a great game to look at... And that's about it

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Blackwood, NJ
$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 17.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Rubber/Silicone
ScottieIA Mods

$ 19.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Boards
PinSound

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 76.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep

$ 68.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 39.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

250 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Canton, OH
$ 5.00
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 9.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 6.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1.00
Lighting - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Toppers
Twisted Tokens

4,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, FL
$ 14.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2-pinball-questions-x-files-super-mario-related and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.