New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 150378)

2 or 1...tough decisions...

By thall17

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 16 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by QuarterGrabber
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 4 years ago

Limited on space, can probably have a total of 7 machines. Currently have:

Scared Stiff (grail pin, not leaving unless a high end offer appears)
    No Good Gofers (fun, keeper of a pin
    World Cup Soccer (Up for sale)
    Revenge From Mars (Sale Pending)
    Bobby Orr Powerplay (housing for brother - available if someone is looking for one)

With RFM and WCS departing would you get something like Iron Man, Avengers, a newer stern in the 5k range with the fact that a newer Stern would eat up the pinball budget or opt for maybe 2 B/W like a Fish Tales and a Dracula or something similar.

Tough call..

#2 4 years ago

get fish tales + dracula

#3 4 years ago

easy choice for me. Ghostbusters. I will have to get rid of three games to get a premium

#4 4 years ago

BSD is awesome and brutal but leaves you wanting more. If your really into fishing I guess FT would be a good fit, also in the same price range as FT although a corny movie The Shadow would go nicely too with great game play. It's all about what you like but I agree go for the two over the one.

#5 4 years ago

FT is just fun, everything about it. IM, brutal, fast, impossible to master. Variety in a collection avoids games getting stale.

Dan

#6 4 years ago

In a small collection I'd go 2 over 1. Variety is the best spice of life. In a big collection sometimes it's good to cut out a couple of spices that are ok to get the 1 spice you truly love......did I really just say that?

#7 4 years ago

I'd get a Stern, just to mix it up a bit
    Don't pay too much (for any game)
    If you find you don't like the game, sell it, and buy something else

#8 4 years ago

FT + DRAC > IM or Avengers

But a game like Metallica pro or GOT PRO > FT + DRAC

#9 4 years ago

You won't be sorry with a pro metallica!
    That sparky keeps us coming back.

#10 4 years ago

Finding any decent B/W 90's pin for less than $2500 is getting tough. Modern Stern games have deeper rules and better reliability so not an equal comparison IMO. There is definitely value in getting a new pin compared to a 20+ year old routed pin. No need to fix hacks, chase down issues, replace broken parts, etc. Plus, for variety it's good to have at least one modern Stern with deep rules. I say go for a MET pro. I discovered how much fun it is late and thinking of getting one. It's just flat out fun.

#11 4 years ago

In a small collection I think that quality I trumps quantity. One great game is better then two mediocre games.

I'd save for a Star Trek, Metallica or game of thrones.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from thall17:

Limited on space, can probably have a total of 7 machines. Currently have:
    Scared Stiff (grail pin, not leaving unless a high end offer appears)
    No Good Gofers (fun, keeper of a pin
    World Cup Soccer (Up for sale)
    Revenge From Mars (Sale Pending)
    Bobby Orr Powerplay (housing for brother - available if someone is looking for one)

You are limited on space, but will be down to 3 pins soon, with space for 7... 4 spots available then! So I would buy 2 rather than one.

Guess for around $5k you could have WPT + BSD?

That would be my choice: it includes a relatively recent Stern with very elaborated rules and Dracula which is an excellent game, but very difficult to master.

#13 4 years ago

I traded out two System 11s for RFM, so maybe reverse it and get two System 11s for RFM? Then you could go for a third game to replace the WCS.

#14 4 years ago

I struggle with this myself. I have 3 Sterns and 5 B/W DMDs. On days when I'm fighting problems with the B/W pins, I'm tempted to sell a few and add another Stern. But then I do the mental math: the 2 B/W pins have 3 flippers each, genius layouts and cool playfield mechanisms. The new Stern will have better rules, and a better theme. But it will have 2 flippers and very simple mechanisms (CSI was the last Stern with really cool playfield mechs, IMO).

My ambivalence is the reason I have a mix. Some days the older pins feel like a real value; other days I want to drive them over a cliff.

#15 4 years ago

BSD is an awesome pin... If you set it up right, it will keep you coming back. Same goes for IM. It's a real butt kicker.

#16 4 years ago

Two BW are a way better value then one modern stern.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 78.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    € 3.70
    Flipper Parts
    Buthamburg
    Lighting - Led
    TheDudeMods
    € 30.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Creo Pinball
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 22.00
    Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 27.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Other
    Gameroom Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    $ 159.95
    Lighting - Led
    Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
    $ 7,599.99
    $ 156.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 99.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    € 197.00
    Displays
    PINBALLSP
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Ramp-O-Matic
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 149.95
    Boards
    Allteksystems
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 27.99
    $ 7.90
    $ 89.99
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Other
    Loop Combo Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside