• Latest reply 8 years ago by sed6
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screenshot_2015-12-13-11-19-39.png

#1 8 years ago

I just replaced all bulbs in my Future Spa and it looks amazing! To fix the flicker issue, I used Comet Pinball's Ultimate Optix LEDs. These LEDs are "engineered for Superior Non Ghosting, Non Flickering, and reduced Strobing."

Unfortunately, there are still 2 LEDs flickering. One LED that flickers I can live with (the Special insert which rarely comes on), but the other LED is right in the middle of the playfield and in a line of LEDs of the same color. So it does standout badly.

Any ideas what I could do to fix this one LED? Obviously, the Optix LED has a resistor built in so does it need more resistance?

#2 8 years ago

If you look on the lamp driver board, you may see that the trouble maker lamp SCR has been replaced with a higher power rated part.

That repair was good with incandescents, but bad for your LEDs.

Next time you do a Classic Bally, use this, and you can use all cheap LEDs, save cash and headache:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/classic-ballystern-led-adapter-kit-review

-

If you board looks unrepaired, then you can add a resistor across the socket like the above review pictures.

#3 8 years ago

Could also be a bad bulb socket. If you've tried cleaning it already try this fix. Stole it from the pinrepair website. I used this tip to "fix" several bad sockets on my SI pin.

Screenshot_2015-12-13-11-19-39.pngScreenshot_2015-12-13-11-19-39.png

#4 8 years ago

Thanks guys!

#5 8 years ago

Welcome! But I'm going go to go back on my above suggestion. I popped the hood on my Bally SI and discovered I installed lots of 470 ohm 1/4 watt resistors on my sockets to eliminate flicker. My tip above is geared more toward a socket with an intermittent or bad connection which would manifest itself in an incandescent bulb being dim compared to it neighbors, or simply not working at all. Check out this short video I just shot. Thanks for the topic and getting me off my ass and into my game room to make this easy repair!

Edit- fixed the sound in the vid.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 199.95
Displays
PinballSolutions.eu
Displays
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2-leds-still-flickerhelp and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.