Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
DSC09870.JPG
DSC09867.JPG
DSC09866.JPG
DSC09869.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Well as predicted in my Fun Land thread they are multiplying. Brought home/rescued a Gottlieb Wild Life a week ago. The garage it was in has a bad roof and water has been dripping on the cabinet and running down the back. Was very surprised things wen't completely rusted up inside to. Surprisingly the playing field is better than it should be for they way it was stored. Guess it isn't the most coveted game ever made but I like it. Makes tons more noise than my Fun Land. Invested a whole $25 dollars in the purchase price.

At first only some lights would work and a nice hum was coming from the score motor that was locked up. The output shaft with the cams was rusted tight in the two bearings. Brushed them up to remove most of the rust and then applied just a couple drops of AFT fluid on them to penetrate the rust. with some effort I got it broke loose and worked it by hand till it freed up.

At that point it would try to start up but if I put the ball in all it would do is run the score motor non stop. Then I found were the solenoid plunger that was laying in the bottom belonged in the bonus unit I think. With it back in place it started trying to work.

Score wheels were staling badly at the 9 position so I dissembled and cleaned them. Also had too shorten the return springs to get them working.

I am amazed that this machine still works at all after the water it must have seen. So far most of it works but things aren't scoring correctly all the time. Hopefully playing it will help clear that up. My oldest boy is going to take this one.
DSC09869.JPGDSC09869.JPG
DSC09866.JPGDSC09866.JPG
DSC09867.JPGDSC09867.JPG
DSC09870.JPGDSC09870.JPG

#2 9 years ago

Looks like there might be a safety issue there with the head (maybe). You wouldn't want that to come apart on your son (loud noise and smashed backglass if nothing else!).

Not sure the best way to shore that up outside of completely rebuilding the head.

Also, check the neck, which is typically pretty weak anyway.

Nice work, though!

#3 9 years ago

Great rescue! I loved that pin back in the day, gave us much fun during the harsh winters in NY. Congrats!~Spooky

#4 9 years ago

We played the snot out of one of these "back in the day".
I love the artwork on this game.
I have one in the restoration queue.
--
Chris Hibler - CARGPB #31
http://ww.Team-EM.com
http://webpages.charter.net/chiblerPinbal/index.htm
http://www.PinWiki.com - The Place to go for Pinball Repair Info

#5 9 years ago

The head does have me worried a bit. It is still pretty solid where it fastens to the machine though. I don't think it will just fall off too easy. I would not carry it by its top or sides though. Brought it home in one piece but plan to take the head off to move it to the the sons girlfriends house. Already thinking of ways to shore it up. May try to give it a skeleton some way if the boy will leave it here that long.

#6 9 years ago

Delaminated plywood is an easy fix. Squirt carpenter's wood glue into the separated wood & clamp using some scrap wood or flat metal on either side. The trick is to use wax paper between the cabinet & the clamping jig. Use a wet rag to wipe away any excess glue, wait 24 hours & remove clamps. The wax paper keeps the glue from sticking to your jig. I have rescued cabinets far worse that that.
Best rust remover by far is Evaporust. Do a pinside search. It can be purchased @ Oriley's auto parts.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from ChrisHibler:

We played the snot out of one of these "back in the day"

Four of us played 100 games on a Jungle on a single quarter one afternoon in college back in about 1975.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from MikeO:

Four of us played 100 games on a Jungle on a single quarter one afternoon in college back in about 1975.

That's getting value for your money!

In Junior Hi we had open campus for lunch. Two blocks away was the local bowling alley one of my friends mom cooked at. We figured out that with our daily school lunch money allowance we could buy a grilled cheese and small soda with money left for a game of pinball. With one in the groups mom working there he understandably spent a lot of time there and knew the quirks of the games. If one was stuck matching on 40 or such he knew and filled us in.

With two weeks left in the school year about 8 grade the group was called into the office for coming in late to art class after lunch one to many times. Principle told us if it happens again we would be stuck on campus the rest of the school year. Realy? we thought there is only two weeks left. Sure laughed that one off. One of my few times I was in the principles office during my school carrier.

1 week later
#9 9 years ago

Just saw a nice version of this in our local jerky shop. Gonna help fix it. Need some rubbers, flipper fixed and playfield cleaned.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#10 9 years ago

Nice save, can't beat $25 LMK when you go to sell. Thanks...

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

Just saw a nice version of this in our local jerky shop. Gonna help fix it. Need some rubbers, flipper fixed and playfield cleaned.

image.jpg 257 KB

Sounds like it has a better cabinet that ours. Hope the plastic inserts are still flat. This machine has a lot less of them than my Funland. Might try to find them someday and have a try at replacing inserts.

1 month later
#12 9 years ago

There is an easier way to repair sunken playfield inserts. First clean the inserts, then raise the playfield to a level position. Front to back and side to side. You can remove it from the machine if you want to, but really don't have to. Just use some scrap wood or shims to get it completely level. The with an eye dropper, put a few drops of clear polyurethane till it fills the insert and let it dry. I did this to my Wild Life when I had it and the ball traveled straight when it went over the inserts from then on.
This game by the way, is better than the ratings suggest. After have sold mine a few years ago I missed it and just acquired Jungle, the 4 player version. I am about to fill the inserts on this machine as well.

Good Luck,
Tom

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
1,800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Glendale, AZ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2-gottlieb-wild-life and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.