Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3634918376_5a540c4e28_z (resized).jpg
433428A3-C34F-4DA9-9529-384A972D4CE1 (resized).jpeg
flippers (resized).JPG
parts_rubber-ring-flipper-red-beadedjpg.image.653x490 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

I've seen a number of posts about having 1 or 2 rubbers on the shorty 2" metal flippers. Sounds like consensus is that most were designed for 1 but operators put 2 on often to reduce wear and tear maintenance and player owners would add 2 to increase ball contact and help save a few by very slightly extending the tip of the flipper. (https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/two-rubbers-or-one-on-em-shorty-zipper-flippers)

What I'm curious about is whether anyone has used 1" beaded rubber (see below) for more of a standard feel to the flippers and if so, what did it play like?
parts_rubber-ring-flipper-red-beadedjpg.image.653x490 (resized).jpg

flippers (resized).JPG
#2 1 year ago

I tried this, it played alright. The rubbers wouldn't always sit flat though. When possible I swap the bats on games for the newer flat top style the beaded rubbers are designed for, but in this case with the metal I'd recommend using a white rubber over one of the beaded

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from zacaj:

When possible I swap the bats on games for the newer flat top style the beaded rubbers are designed for

I've thought about this but have seen on here that others have issues where the flipper post goes into the pawl, that the pointed set screws displace enough metal that they get stuck in the pawl since the post isn't machined down in that section.

2 weeks later
#4 1 year ago

So I tested this out myself finally. I actually like it. I think you get a little better control From the slightly larger contact patch.

#6 1 year ago

Sorry the pic is dark but you get the idea.

433428A3-C34F-4DA9-9529-384A972D4CE1 (resized).jpeg
#7 1 year ago

Ive only ever used the beaded rubbers for my Wedge heads. I think they may actually make the bats last longer because even really high speed balls won't crack the bats. All the cracked "bats' or "shoes" Ive come across seem to be with the single ring. At least that has been my expierience.

3634918376_5a540c4e28_z (resized).jpg
#8 1 year ago
Quoted from weeze:

Ive only ever used the beaded rubbers for my Wedge heads. I think they may actually make the bats last longer because even really high speed balls won't crack the bats. All the cracked "bats' or "shoes" Ive come across seem to be with the single ring. At least that has been my expierience.
[quoted image]

Mine has metal bats so I’m not really worried about them breaking, but I can see that being a concern this the plastic ones. I just find the feel to be better to me. I think I can trap a ball a little easier and make better shots as long as the the ball doesn’t travel right down the giant chasm between the flippers

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, become a Pinside+ member!