Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Mully911
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Mully's leaf contact tool (resized).png
    #1 10 years ago

http://www.harborfreight.com/pry-fork-and-wire-bending-tool-99744.html

Anyone use one of these tools from harbor freight to adjust their leaf switches? Seems comparable to tool sold here for 8 bucks.

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1518

I think I might drive out to harbor freight and pick one up and try it out.

#2 10 years ago

I own the one from PBL, and I have to say, I'm not feeling that harbor frieght one. But who knows... maybe it would be ok.

#3 10 years ago

Pinball Resource sells the best one.

#4 10 years ago

My issue is that I've had two of the ones from pinballlife and they've both broken fairly quick. I think they work great but I hate spending 8bucks each time I need a new one.

Quoted from ninjadoug:

Do you know how much it is? Is it stronger than the one from pinball life?

#5 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

My issue is that I've had two of the ones from pinballlife and they've both broken fairly quick. I think they work great but I hate spending 8bucks each time I need a new one.

yep mine broke as well, trying to adjust a thicker switch. Busted off one of the split legs. So I cut the other off with my dremel and then cut in another notch. Have to say it works better now, and is much stronger since it is closer to the bend.

#6 10 years ago

I had gotten a set of three with a variety of shapes and tips from PBR a few years ago (don't think Steve carries them anymore). They have held up for a long time. I'll have to stop by harbor freight over the weekend and check one of these out to see if it would work, can't ever have enough tools

#7 10 years ago
    Quoted from ninjadoug:

Quoted from rosh:

They have held up for a long time.

If only I could find mine.

#8 10 years ago

Still never found that sucker eh?

#9 10 years ago
    Quoted from harbngr:

yep mine broke as well, trying to adjust a thicker switch. Busted off one of the split legs. So I cut the other off with my dremel and then cut in another notch. Have to say it works better now, and is much stronger since it is closer to the bend.

Hmmmm, I'm going to try this. I was thinking about it but wasn't sure I'd have a steady enough hand to pull it off.

#10 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

My issue is that I've had two of the ones from pinballlife and they've both broken fairly quick

I am on my 3rd one.

#11 10 years ago

I like my Pinball Life one. Haven't broken it yet.

#12 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

I have gone through 3 of them very quickly. They all split at the ends, the metal is just too thin. I just placed an order at PBL today and had one in the cart and took it out... fool me three times, shame on me, or something like that...LOL

#13 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

On the website, listed at $4.56. I've broken over a dozen from Pinball Life, had my PB Resource one for a few years now, no breakage!

#14 10 years ago

PinballLife started making them from different material about a year ago or so, they are much more durable now.

#15 10 years ago

Bought my 4 pack from PBR in 1986. Still using them.

Frank

#16 10 years ago

It might work for some applications but the bend in the real tool gives you more options.

#17 10 years ago

The ones from PBL are now case hardened. I'd broken one of the earlier ones prior to this. I've used one of the newer ones for probably a year with no problems, until I lost it last week. Time to order another.

#18 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

Still????

I use the PBL one and like it just fine. How hard are you wrenching on your switches to break the tool?

The PBR one is nicer in quality than the PBL one but is less functional. The PBL one is shaped different and is more versatile IMO

#19 10 years ago

yea, the old pinballlife ones would crumble apart sometimes. Had 2 of them do that to me. So far the newer one I received is holding strong.

#20 10 years ago

Yeah, next time I order a bunch.

#21 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

How hard are you wrenching on your switches to break the tool?

Not that hard. That's why I'm looking for a better or cheaper option if these tools are disposable.

#22 10 years ago
    Quoted from Deez:

Not that hard. That's why I'm looking for a better or cheaper option if these tools are disposable.

I have been using my PBL one for over a year. No issues. Maybe mine has the changes the others here have mentioned.

#23 10 years ago

I there like a dummies guide to adjusting leaf switches?

#24 10 years ago

It's definitely something wrong with them. Both ends broke in a matter of weeks.

#25 10 years ago
    Quoted from UKCatsFan76:

I there like a dummies guide to adjusting leaf switches?

www.pinrepair.com/em

#26 10 years ago

Are you adjusting the leaf switch blade Or the stiffener/backer blade(much thicker material)? I broke one doing the stiffener blades, bought another and only use it for the leaf blades so far without problems.

#27 10 years ago

i had one crumble apart on the first use. And there was hardly any pressure there. I think the aluminum or whatever they were made out of, wasn't cast right.

#28 10 years ago

I broke mine and broke out the Dremel and made a new one out of an Allen wrench.
    I have used it for a couple years now works great.

#29 10 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

First thing I did was spray paint mine neon orange because I know I'd lose it.

#30 10 years ago
    Quoted from radium:

First thing I did was spray paint mine neon orange because I know I'd lose it.

Good Idea except I heard a rumor that O-din is color blind!!! Or maybe just plain old blind. (due to leaving his glasses inside a machine and closing it up)

#31 10 years ago
    Quoted from sixpakmopar:

Are you adjusting the leaf switch blade Or the stiffener/backer blade(much thicker material)? I broke one doing the stiffener blades, bought another and only use it for the leaf blades so far without problems.

The stiffener/backer blade is the one you're supposed to adjust. It's what holds the blade with the contact in place. You're also supposed to adjust the blade as close to the base as possible.

Of course, once you get your game, who knows how many op helpers and home owners have bent the shit out of them.

#32 10 years ago
    Quoted from Pafasa:

Good Idea except I heard a rumor that O-din is color blind!!! Or maybe just plain old blind. (due to leaving his glasses inside a machine and closing it up)

#33 10 years ago

I use old telco relay gap adjusters (they look similar, but there are multiple styles for switches in different locations/orientations), if you happen to have some of those they are really great for pfutzing with switches.

#34 10 years ago

Even with my gentle touch, I've broken the PBL ones.

The last broken one, I used a jeweler's saw and cut a new slot in it.

#35 10 years ago

I broke one PBL tool fairly quickly but have been using my replacement tool for months. I LOVE it.

#36 10 years ago

I have one of the Harbor Freight ones, the blue handle broke so now it spins around the shaft.

1 year later
    #37 8 years ago

Has the HF one been discontinued ? I cant find it on the site, Ive lost atleast 5 of the PBR/PBL ones and I can afford to keep buying them.

5 years later
    #38 3 years ago

So, is the Pinball Life ultimate leaf switch tool the best in the biz right now?

Is there a single tool that will do, or should you get different sizes and angles? I am getting tired of using a flat head screw driver to make adjustments, as this just isn't the ideal way to do so.

I want those switches to be dead on right for proper flipper and slingshots ...

https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from Goronic:

So, is the Pinball Life ultimate leaf switch tool the best in the biz right now?
    Is there a single tool that will do, or should you get different sizes and angles? I am getting tired of using a flat head screw driver to make adjustments, as this just isn't the ideal way to do so.
    I want those switches to be dead on right for proper flipper and slingshots ...
    https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

The 45 degree end is the one I use 95% of the time.

#40 3 years ago

Can you show a pic of the tool?

HF's website does not show this part.

1 year later
    #41 1 year ago

Hey all,

As others have mentioned, make your own...the ones available on line are garbage and the lowest cost shipping was $13.29. That makes it a $22.29 tool in the end. Soooooooo I made my own in 10 min using HF screw driver and Dremmel. Cut handle off, cut tip off, grind slot with thin sanding disc. Will never break like overpriced cheap crap. HF screw driver $1.99 10 min work.

Thanks
    Mully

Mully's leaf contact tool (resized).pngMully's leaf contact tool (resized).png

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2-dollar-leaf-switch-adjustment-tool-harbor-freight and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.