Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 16 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 months ago by yaggy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_7192 (resized).JPG
    pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaggy:

how to otherwise make these titles run on 2 coins

For years, I put out Ball Bowlers for a quarter a play, and still have a couple out for that price.
    But the last few years, I made them so they're 2 quarters per play. How I did this is by splicing
    a 1950's bowler score reel unit between the coin switch and Coin Relay (or Start Relay on some
    pins). I made the run-out switch (which opens only when on zero) so that it opens every other
    step up by grooving in 4 more notches. So every other step up the set of contacts open, and
    every other they close. The coin switch energizes the Score Reel's coil, and the Coin Relay is
    also tied into that circuitry, but it's only completed when the (use to be) run-out switch is closed.
    So being closed every other step up, it takes 2 coins for the Coin Relay to energize.
    Those old Score Reels are built strong. I've been doing it this way for the last 12 or 15 years,
    and never had a problem. The converted Score Reel on the very first bowler along with the
    others are still doing their job problem free..

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from yaggy:

This may end up being my catch-all if the 3-for-2 relay modification I'm pondering hits a roadblock.

I've also tried it a couple other ways with a single coil Step Up Unit and also a Latch/Trip Relay,
    and the drum unit is the most sound, plus I have a ton of them around..The trickiest part is
    grooving in the additional 4 notches, but with an (inexpensive) Rotary Tool, its quick and a piece
    of cake..

#14 2 years ago
    Quoted from dmarston:

If you mess up on your first attempt at hacking a score reel, you probably have other ones to keep trying.

Yes, the only thing that can be messed up is the center hub that has the run-out
    groove and 9th position lobe, and even though I made the first ones generically
    (used a small rat tail file), I haven't messed one up yet. I now use a Rotary Tool
    which makes it much more precise..

Quoted from dmarston:

you said you have the coin switch go directly to the coil of the reel, without the intermediate relay to guarantee a full stroke. Has that been reliable?

All including the very first one that I used the Drum Unit on hasn't failed yet, and it's been quite
    an few years. On the ball bowlers, with a gone through drum unit, the pulse from the coin switch
    has no problem fully energizing the coil. I do have a few EM pinballs on (selected) locations, but
    I kept them on a quarter, but the coin switch pulse I'm sure would be the same. The only thing
    that might have to be change is the 50V Drum Unit's coil (depending).

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from HowardR:

Another way to go is an interlock relay

Yup. I've done it this way, but because I have so many extra parts ball bowler drum units,
    I went with that route. Those 50s drum units are built, and actually the run-off switch is
    already wired to the coil the way it needs to be..
    I have found those Interlock Relays to be handy when doing other types of projects also..

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Mopar.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/2-coins-1-play?tu=Mopar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.