(Topic ID: 245098)

1up Arcade Mortal Kombat would you own one?

By Stones

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 129 posts
  • 52 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by YZRider926
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Would you considering buying one for your gameroom?”

• "Get Over Here" and buy one for the novelty of it 29 votes
    42%
  • Save your money and let Johnny Cage punch you in the junk. 37 votes
    54%
  • "Finish Him!" FFS this is a pinball website 3 votes
    4%

(69 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2CA7F0FA-AF3B-4268-84D2-EDB0B294CC8A (resized).jpeg
20190530_211200 (resized).jpg
64273283_10216678541428907_372582004836794368_o (resized).jpg
64530793_10216680092827691_8045584260741988352_n (resized).jpg
IMG_0939 (resized).PNG
20180624_163321 (resized).jpg
E99F78C6-AD62-403A-AD49-A978B64475F7 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
20190612_174701 (resized).jpg
ppppp (resized).PNG
0AA2B87E-C706-48DD-A917-DE80949F2DDA (resized).jpeg
AAA4DDDC-1FDE-4D3A-81EF-EE6A49B7EB29 (resized).jpeg
7925784E-A7B0-4ED9-8F9F-721215C3C4CE (resized).jpeg
Star Wars (resized).jpg
d1o85lwy2q331 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If an arcade vid collector came here, and asked us about buying a zizzle vs. a full size pinball, what would you tell them?

Probably something about Hondas vs Ferraris?

#54 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Ill keep my japanese candy cabinet and would strongly advise you to look for one. They are built solid, still run on crt screens and have much more flexibility in games running on a mamebox.
A comparable size to the 1hp would be a capcom mini cute but they are super rare and expensive, but you can get a decent astro city for 1500$

There's really zero comparison between buying a $300 lightweight toy, and investing literally five times that (are you really paying that much for an Astro City in The Bay now?) into a heavier cab that require more knowledge to own and isn’t really comparable at all. Yes, you can run a POS Pandora's Box in it, that isn't even actually Jamma, but you get what you pay for with those too.

These threads always turn into this "just buy the real thing" drumbeat, and it's pointless. I strongly advise anyone to not do that. If you want real CRTs and real cabs by all means, but know what you're getting into, and realize it's not at all like slapping together a toy cabinet that just works out of the box.

It would be like me laughing at you using an Astro City for MAME, instead of running real boards. Why would I do that? Let people be, and have some relatively cheap fun with something they're gonna get tired of after a bit anyways.

#59 4 years ago

It’s about what makes sense for people, not what’s authentic or your personal preference.

Astro Cities are great! I have four. But that’s why I also know what a pain they can be. I’ve got a spare Nano MS29 chassis I’m still trying to solve a sync problem on. I know how the PCB that was shipped “fully working” can show up with no sound. (Had to replace the YM2151 synth chip, not uncommon on CPS 1 boards.)

I moved them all the other day, thankfully they do have wheels in the back, but they are heavy. Stairs would be a problem. Some doorways would be a problem.

Point of all this don’t go this route if you aren’t into being the owner of something heavy and prone to esoteric issues. Get the 1Up and have fun for a bit.

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

My setup is literally pixel perfect, I spent a great deal of time to get it to work and I’m happy to share it with whoever wants it !

That's great. My setup is arcade perfect because I only run real boards. That doesn't make me somehow superior, it's just personal preference. You're not the first person to put MAME in an arcade cab, nor will you be the last. I hope you have fun with it.

If anyone wants to try it, reach out to this person, sounds like a great resource.

Just be aware that it's a much bigger project than picking up a toy mini cabinet, that's all.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

Who talked about being superior ? Well you did, but I surely did not !

We're talking about arcade cabs being superior to 1Ups, and they're not, they're different, is my point. Just like MAME is one thing, and real boards are another. I'm not pushing people to run real boards instead of emulating, and I think it's silly to push buying real cabs over 1Ups. They're just not similar enough in terms of anything. Cost, time, weight, commitment, anything.

So when you say

Quoted from adol75:

So yes getting a cab is the way to go

that's what I'm refuting. No, it's not, for most people.

1 week later
#116 4 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Quite honestly these old games don’t hold my attention like they did back in the day.

That’s my issue. We still play Street Fighter every week in various flavors, but MK doesn’t have the same longevity. Fun games, but janky and unbalanced and just not enough competitive depth to keep playing.

I’d love to add a real MK cab to my collection, be fun, but once the nostalgia faded? Would probably just take up space. And I only have so much of that, games gotta earn their keep.

2CA7F0FA-AF3B-4268-84D2-EDB0B294CC8A (resized).jpeg2CA7F0FA-AF3B-4268-84D2-EDB0B294CC8A (resized).jpeg

#121 4 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Wow! Those are some cool street fighter cabs. Why so many? Are the linked up or something?

Yes, they’re linked, why each pair has the same image on them. Everyone gets their own control panel and monitor, we’re not savages.

#123 4 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

Sweet! I’ll bet that’s a great way to play. I’m used to standing right next my opponent. I only have a Neo-Geo upright.

Honestly once you’re used to it it’s very hard to go back heh. It means “less games” on the cabs, but they get a lot of use this way.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Aurich.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1up-arcade-mortal-kombat-would-you-own-one-?tu=Aurich and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.