(Topic ID: 245098)

1up Arcade Mortal Kombat would you own one?

By Stones

7 days ago

Topic Stats

• 121 posts
  • 49 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 32 minutes ago by Aurich
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic poll

“Would you considering buying one for your gameroom?”

• "Get Over Here" and buy one for the novelty of it 28 votes
    43%
  • Save your money and let Johnny Cage punch you in the junk. 35 votes
    54%
  • "Finish Him!" FFS this is a pinball website 2 votes
    3%

(65 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 22 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

2CA7F0FA-AF3B-4268-84D2-EDB0B294CC8A (resized).jpeg
20190530_211200 (resized).jpg
64273283_10216678541428907_372582004836794368_o (resized).jpg
64530793_10216680092827691_8045584260741988352_n (resized).jpg
IMG_0939 (resized).PNG
20180624_163321 (resized).jpg
E99F78C6-AD62-403A-AD49-A978B64475F7 (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
20190612_174701 (resized).jpg
ppppp (resized).PNG
0AA2B87E-C706-48DD-A917-DE80949F2DDA (resized).jpeg
AAA4DDDC-1FDE-4D3A-81EF-EE6A49B7EB29 (resized).jpeg
7925784E-A7B0-4ED9-8F9F-721215C3C4CE (resized).jpeg
Star Wars (resized).jpg
d1o85lwy2q331 (resized).jpg

There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 7 days ago

Soo....I just saw that 1up arcade made an exclusive MK arcade. The arcade has Mortal Kombat 1, 2, and 3. I've always been a fan, and played the crap out of the MK series in college. I didn't care much for MK4. I'm watching some of the reviews on youtube and everyone seems pretty pleased. I'm curious if anyone has bought one and what their thoughts are. My only complaint is the height...which you can buy the extension to make the arcade taller.

Thoughts?

mk3 (resized).pngmk4 (resized).png
#2 7 days ago

Our local arcade has them and I would not recommend it. It’s too small and too short for an adult, i assume they’re made specifically for kids. The controls are cheap and so is the paint on the control panel. Save your money and buy a real full size MK cab for $1000

Edit: If all you’re looking for is a cheap MK, then it will be fun for $300. If you don’t like it, you can sell later

#3 7 days ago

You know these things are like 3 and a half feet tall right?

Disposable garbage in a world with more than enough disposable garbage.

#4 7 days ago

That's the biggest complaint I have.... is the height. It's just not worth having the 3 original cabs in my game room. I could always look at a meme arcade...but I've heard mixed reviews on meme cabs.

#5 7 days ago

I have 2 with risers. They’re a lot of fun and easy to start/play for kids and guests. They add a nice, inexpensive touch to the game room.

I enjoy my MAME machine as well, but these are simplified and cheaper. If you like MK, go for it (but get a riser).

#6 7 days ago

If that's a game you like, I'd grab it. I have several of these cabinets with the risers. I'm more of a Defender, Lunar Lander, Pac-Man person so I have those and other similar era cabs.

Don't get sucked into the whole stupid 'these aren't as good as original dedicated cabs' or 'the controls are crap' baloney. You can always swap out a couple of joysticks for short money.

They are toys... Light weight which I love. They are not collectable dedicated cabs. Have fun with them. If it's a game you like I wouldn't hesitate.

Don't get me wrong... I'd own a dedicated Mad Planets cabinet in a second, but in the meantime these arcade1up games give you a great and immediate low cost arcade fix.

#7 7 days ago
Quoted from Stones:

That's the biggest complaint I have.... is the height. It's just not worth having the 3 original cabs in my game room. I could always look at a meme arcade...but I've heard mixed reviews on meme cabs.

PLuses and minuses which is to be expected with one cab that plays 60 games. Or 300 games or whatever.

But way beyond this stuff.

#8 7 days ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I have 2 with risers. They’re a lot of fun and easy to start/play for kids and guests. They add a nice, inexpensive touch to the game room.
I enjoy my MAME machine as well, but these are simplified and cheaper. If you like MK, go for it (but get a riser).

Yea, riser would be a must. Reviews have been pretty good so far on it....

#9 7 days ago
Quoted from Stones:

Yea, riser would be a must. Reviews have been pretty good so far on it....

The panel art is cheap... but you can get the clear acrylic overlay. The new games come with them.

The controls are cheap, but good enough. If they bother you, changing them out is easy.

Tons of customized options available online. Go for it!

#10 7 days ago

Get it.

I have a modified Arcade 1up machine and I and my kids absolutely love it. I bought an Asteroids one and paid someone off of facebook to modify it into a MAME machine with a SF2 button layout running off of pi with 18000 games on it. It's fantastic. I have a favorites list with a bunch of games my 7 year old and younger kids can play it. It is a neat piece of furniture and I really like having a dedicated cab, even if it is small. I would recommend getting a riser to go along with your machine were I you.

Go buy one, they are not that expensive (compared to pinball) and you can unload it on Craigslist for 1/2 price if you hate it in time, or can pay someone for a MAME machine conversion or do it yourself if you are into that.

If you go the MAME route, get the one with the art package you like best.

Get the MK2, play the crap out of it until you are bored of it in a few months, then have fun converting it into a MAME multicade if that's your thing, then have fun playing the games.

#11 7 days ago

Not for MK1.

And it's a little toy thinggy

#12 7 days ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

The panel art is cheap... but you can get the clear acrylic overlay. The new games come with them.
The controls are cheap, but good enough. If they bother you, changing them out is easy.
Tons of customized options available online. Go for it!

I was seeing you could swap a couple of components out cheap.....to reinforce the joysticks. I like they did the acrylic overlay..for durability.

#13 7 days ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

Not for MK1.
And it's a little toy thinggy

come on man, MK2 and 3 are included....!

#14 7 days ago

I was thinking they might be cool if you could find a way to turn them into a wall mount. It would cost quite a bit to make your own after paying for all of the art prints.

#15 7 days ago
Quoted from Stones:

come on man, MK2 and 3 are included....!

Oh duh, I didn't see the sixth button!

Then my answer is no

I'm a MAME guy, I need more games for the sapce

#16 7 days ago

The reviews have been really negative on KLOV. I've read there is a bit of a lag with a couple of the games and like everyone says, they are tiny. No substitute for the original though.

I did this for real 17 years ago with a MK 2 cab and had all 4 MK boards running in it. I tied everything together with Clay's multi-JAMMA. Even made my own art for the marquee and control panel.

d726c1a5e8653da10c1927fc5f82c13d4528e94b.jpg
#17 7 days ago

No. After seeing/playing/picking up with one hand, and hearing a SF 1up that was reportedly less then a week old on display at Walmart. I can honestly say with all integrity that the construction is bad. The design is bad. The controls are bad. Surprisingly the emulation on SF was good. For the last 6 months I am seeing these machines on CL either NIB or less then a month old barely any plays for around $150. If you want one, wait 3 months and buy it used for 50 %. If you wait a year probably 25%. In 2 years they will be like the Midway multi no one can give away. And in 5 years they will be dust.

Just break out a grand and get a nice original MK. You will thank yourself. As will your friends.

Thanks
Blake

#18 7 days ago

Love me some MK. One will always be my favorite. Lots of good memories playing MK2 on snes and lots of fun playing Ultimate MK3.

As cool as these are I would be more prone to getting an MK cab with the art you prefer and then putting in a mame board with all the MK games pre-loaded.

Had a better pic of my MK shrine, but this will do.

20190612_110506 (resized).jpg
#19 7 days ago
Quoted from hAbO:

The reviews have been really negative on KLOV. I've read there is a bit of a lag with a couple of the games and like everyone says, they are tiny. No substitute for the original though.[quoted image]

Would you expect anything less then a negative review from KLOV. LOL

Quoted from lpeters82:

I was thinking they might be cool if you could find a way to turn them into a wall mount. It would cost quite a bit to make your own after paying for all of the art prints.

They are making wall mount games.

Quoted from bayoubilly70:

Don't get sucked into the whole stupid 'these aren't as good as original dedicated cabs' or 'the controls are crap' baloney. You can always swap out a couple of joysticks for short money.
They are toys... Light weight which I love. They are not collectable dedicated cabs. Have fun with them. If it's a game you like I wouldn't hesitate.

Agree 100% with this statement. Lets face it. There are many people that will just be turned off because they are not the real thing. Hell look at all the people complaining about CGC remakes.

Quoted from Stones:

Soo....I just saw that 1up arcade made an exclusive MK arcade. The arcade has Mortal Kombat 1, 2, and 3. I've always been a fan, and played the crap out of the MK series in college. I didn't care much for MK4. I'm watching some of the reviews on youtube and everyone seems pretty pleased. I'm curious if anyone has bought one and what their thoughts are. My only complaint is the height...which you can buy the extension to make the arcade taller.
Thoughts?

I've owned many, many original video games. (sold them all to make room for more pins) Yeah the originals are 100 times better then the 1ups. But for what they are going for and what the 1ups go for I would by a 1up now. They're small but that's part of what I like about them. If they come out with a Tron, I'm buying one.

#20 7 days ago

As a collector of original cabs, I struggled with buying these. I ultimately decided to try the sf2 cab for $179 at Walmart. It's cool. Make sure you get the riser and these now come with the acrylic cpo protection. I doubt they hold up long term though as far as the electronics. My monitor flaked out after a month, but arcade1up was good about sending a new one. If you can get these on sale I say it's worth it. Supposedly they are announcing star wars today, and I will buy that one if true. Just get one on sale, and understand it's not a "real" cab, and you'll have fun with these.

#21 7 days ago

If you have a large SUV or truck these can take the place of a tablet and hold your kids attention nicely while driving to visit your favorite arcade. Spending the night out of town. Get a hockey bag and bring your 1up. It's lighter then equipment and fits perfectly.

Thanks
Blake

#22 7 days ago
Quoted from konghusker:

Supposedly they are announcing star wars today, and I will buy that one if true.

62780546_10218511882486065_6163283382634545152_n (resized).jpg
#23 7 days ago
Quoted from LesManley:

[quoted image]

Perfect!

Thanks
Blake

123519 (resized).jpg
#24 7 days ago

Yeah, I’ll be buying that SW.

#25 7 days ago

Join the club!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-

The cabinets are MSRP $300. I'm not sure what purists are expecting...but they are fun, they are cheap, easy to build, easy to play, even my 18 month old can turn on my games and play.

THey are a very nice size to fit in a room without taking up a full cab of space and with the riser they are good for me, 5'7" tall. You can upgrade the buttons and joysticks if you don't like them...but for 300 can you go wrong? I mean you can resell it and not be out much...

#26 7 days ago
Quoted from LesManley:

[quoted image]

Oh crap, I’m buying that!!!!
Now all they need is a Tron.

#27 7 days ago

This is a statement my son made to me directly after playing a half dozen games on the SF2 1up. Keep in mind he is 7 and has grown up playing nothing but real pins and arcade machines. And even after I said how good I thought the emulation was.

Me - "It played pretty good for what it was don't you think?"

Conrad - "It's not that good dad. I like ours a lot better."

Maybe hes an elitist vid snob???

Thanks
Blake

#28 7 days ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Would you expect anything less then a negative review from KLOV. LOL

They would be the most informed group to write the review.

Thanks
Blake

#29 7 days ago
Quoted from Blake:

They would be the most informed group to write the review.
Thanks
Blake

You mean they would be the most biased group to write a review. Been a member for 19 years. I know all about it.

#30 7 days ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

You mean they would be the most biased group to write a review. Been a member for 19 years. I know all about it.

If an arcade vid collector came here, and asked us about buying a zizzle vs. a full size pinball, what would you tell them?

"not bad for the money"

"replace most of the parts and you'll have something slightly better!"

"Yeah it'll likely break by Labor Day, but for the cheap cost, why not?!"

"Buy an acrylic box to set it on and it'll almost feel like a real game! I'm 5'6 and it works well enough for me."

#31 7 days ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Doesn't sound like your enjoying it anymore.

Thanks
Blake

#32 7 days ago
Quoted from Blake:

This is a statement my son made to me directly after playing a half dozen games on the SF2 1up. Keep in mind he is 7 and has grown up playing nothing but real pins and arcade machines. And even after I said how good I thought the emulation was.
Me - "It played pretty good for what it was don't you think?"
Conrad - "It's not that good dad. I like ours a lot better."
Maybe hes an elitist vid snob???
Thanks
Blake

You hated on the kid Mojo. Ouch. We won't lose any sleep.

Thanks
Blake

#33 7 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I mean you can resell it and not be out much...

LOL, good luck with that. Here is how well they hold up:

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If an arcade vid collector came here, and asked us about buying a zizzle vs. a full size pinball, what would you tell them?
"not bad for the money"
"Buy an acrylic box to set it on and it'll almost feel like a real game! I'm 5'6 and it works well enough for me."

This right here.

#34 7 days ago

A local Walmart has the Centipede and Asteroids games on clearance for $75 each right now and a riser for $11 (only 1 left).

If it was the Walmart 10 min from my house, I'd probably buy them for the hell of it. But it's the Walmart 30 min away, which gave me enough pause to not bother.

#35 7 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Probably something about Hondas vs Ferraris?

#36 7 days ago
Quoted from LesManley:

[quoted image]

I will buy this for sure. The original cabs are going for over $3k now days, and it's just not worth it. At this price point though, it will be cool to have the game for $299 or less. Easy buy for me.
I would love an original, but realistically sw arcade replay value isn't there. You're paying a premium for the novelty which is cool, but not worth $3000+ to me. This alternative will be a hit among any friends that come over.

#37 7 days ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Join the club!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/299-new-arcade-cabinets-street-fighter-centipede-tempest-
The cabinets are MSRP $300. I'm not sure what purists are expecting...but they are fun, they are cheap, easy to build, easy to play, even my 18 month old can turn on my games and play.
THey are a very nice size to fit in a room without taking up a full cab of space and with the riser they are good for me, 5'7" tall. You can upgrade the buttons and joysticks if you don't like them...but for 300 can you go wrong? I mean you can resell it and not be out much...

Agreed. They are just toys and not legit commercial grade arcades. Don't expect too much. I bought one without a riser with a couple of cheap stools. Easy to put together and light enough to carry upstairs without pain and suffering. Works fine for me. Only problem is that nobody plays it.

#38 7 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

"not bad for the money"

Actually I'm hoping they do make more pins like Zizzles. They are what they are. Not all of us are pinball dealers.
Hell the first pin I owned as a kid was a Star Explorer. Hey I loved it back then.
Not everyone can afford real games. Why not make some cheap alternatives? And I'll hate to brake it to you but some of us Pinsiders do own a Zizzle.
I'm sill hoping Stern makes a My Little Pony same size as the Spiderman they made. Need one for my daughter.

#39 7 days ago
Quoted from PoMC:

A local Walmart has the Centipede and Asteroids games on clearance for $75 each right now and a riser for $11 (only 1 left).
If it was the Walmart 10 min from my house, I'd probably buy them for the hell of it. But it's the Walmart 30 min away, which gave me enough pause to not bother.

that's a good deal, they go for £350 here in the UK!

#40 7 days ago

I bought one, it’s just OK. The problem is the button spacing on center is a little too close together. Joystick and buttons are passable but most people will want to upgrade. I might have a bigger control panel made with proper button spacing and wide enough for 2 adults.

#41 7 days ago

Sorry but these all look like complete trash to me. IMO, these are perfect for the kiddie section in a dentist waiting room.

#42 7 days ago

I'm going to keep an eye on the 2nd hand market. Figure out a way to raise the height. May just buy the riser. I'm the only one who would play it anyway....

They did improve the quality of the joysticks and plexi under the joysticks. I don't think I'm out much for some nostalgia fun. The Star Wars looks cool. Have to see if they announce that one...

#43 7 days ago

Ill keep my japanese candy cabinet and would strongly advise you to look for one. They are built solid, still run on crt screens and have much more flexibility in games running on a mamebox.

A comparable size to the 1hp would be a capcom mini cute but they are super rare and expensive, but you can get a decent astro city for 1500$

#44 7 days ago

No, but I am getting the 4 player TMNT one coming in October.

d1o85lwy2q331 (resized).jpg
#45 7 days ago
Quoted from Stones:

I'm going to keep an eye on the 2nd hand market. Figure out a way to raise the height. May just buy the riser. I'm the only one who would play it anyway....
They did improve the quality of the joysticks and plexi under the joysticks. I don't think I'm out much for some nostalgia fun. The Star Wars looks cool. Have to see if they announce that one...

It is announced at $499. I've owned a several real Star Wars over the years but just don't see spending the $$$$ for a real one anymore. If the flight yoke on this one is half descent I'm down for one.

Star Wars (resized).jpg
#46 7 days ago

I must be one of the few folks here who still can find deals on REAL coin op vids. Because there is no way in hell I would drop $300 + for a machine of that quality knowing what it could buy me.

Thanks
Blake

#47 7 days ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

It is announced at $499. I've owned a several real Star Wars over the years but just don't see spending the $$$$ for a real one anymore. If the flight yoke on this one is half descent I'm down for one.[quoted image]

So that will really be 500 bucks?! Or is "retail price" like in pinball and these end up going for 250 bucks at Wal Mart?

500 clams is real money in my opinion, and given the previous quality of their garbage you'd be insane to buy this as an "alternative." That game is all about the controls - aren't their controls famously terrible?

#48 7 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So that will really be 500 bucks?! Or is "retail price" like in pinball and these end up going for 250 bucks at Wal Mart?
500 clams is real money in my opinion, and given the previous quality of their garbage you'd be insane to buy this as an "alternative." That game is all about the controls - aren't their controls famously terrible?

I think there is a net on these 1Up threads that is stopping most logical suggestions from getting through. Maybe pictures of broken returned units will garner more attention.

Thanks
Blake

#49 7 days ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

For God’s sake, stop making sense.

#50 7 days ago

I just got this a few weeks ago and it is pretty cool and plays fine. All the moves can be done properly with the controls it comes with, for how long only time will tell. My son is almost 5’10” so you can see it’s playable for a average height person with the riser. Is it worth $340(with riser) that’s a question that only you can answer.

0AA2B87E-C706-48DD-A917-DE80949F2DDA (resized).jpeg7925784E-A7B0-4ED9-8F9F-721215C3C4CE (resized).jpegAAA4DDDC-1FDE-4D3A-81EF-EE6A49B7EB29 (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
$ 69.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 5,599.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 10.95
$ 27.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 45.99
$ 28.75
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 54.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
€ 9.10
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
£ 39.00
Lighting - Led
PinballToys
$ 5.00
There are 121 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside