20230312_085253 (resized).jpg
20230220_200930 (resized).jpg
778D6E9B-849E-4541-AC11-A36CA00DB9BF (resized).jpeg
3C145C48-95C6-449B-8DE4-BB87846BC6F3 (resized).jpeg
F2E6C30A-0179-45EC-B899-1D01D6EC73CC (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
C1D7384E-C04A-4BF3-B1EC-6A7C94F6CD75 (resized).jpeg
8153D7AF-981A-40BA-940E-6174642FA228 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tamoore.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1162 1 year ago

When Arcade 1up announced it would be doing Dragons Lair, I decided to get on the email notification just in case they did something really cool.

The first generation of A1U games were honestly, pretty bad looking IMO. I got two for my grandson for his room, but I had no desire to own one myself. The generic cabinet with the name of the games on the front was just not very visually pleasing and they felt like Junk. But when the did the Burger Time, a semi-accurate recreation, that impression started to change for me. When the final images of Dragons Lair came out just prior to pre-order, I knew I would get at least that one. And then looking around, I noticed that Tron looked amazing, and so did Star Wars, and I'll be damned if that Class of 81 and Tempest weren't also really great looking.

The Dragons Lair came in and I was extremely happy with it, other than the sound lag problem (which didn't kill the experience for me). So I started ordering others when they were on sale and I could get a good price. I now have 9 of them, and I could totally see selling all of my coinop video games and replace them with these.

I have been way more than happy with all of my A1U purchases as a 'casual' game player. If the game play is different or has lag compared to their real counterparts, it's not enough for me to even notice. Multiple games per unit, semi-accurate cabinet style, light weight and you can fit 3 games into the space occupied by 2 coin op games. The controller components seem to be getting better too.

The last one I got was Pong pub table for 199 dollars. That's a pretty great game and it's built very well and - 4 player Warlords? Heck yea!

I've been collecting video games for almost 30 years, and while it took a while, Arcade 1up eventually won me over. Looking forward to seeing what they do next.

#1179 1 year ago
Quoted from RVH:

How is the Mortal Kombat 2 machine.
The games that come on look really good.
I’m thinking about buying a used one on Craigslist.

I have that new one, and the only issue is they don't have the "good" monitor in it, so the colors are a bit washed out. Not a big deal for the player, but it looks odd from a distance. It's a great collection of games though. But no Robotron. WHAT???

#1183 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

To clarify there are different versions of this game.. First gen Mortal Kombat 2 with 2 games on it. This one uses the gen 1 monitor that isn't the greatest.
The second one. Mortal Kombat 2 Legacy edition with 12 games. The game are very good and the Monitor is the BOE so it is the best monitor 1up has available. This one I would highly recommend. Even though I mod these games I keep and original setup to play.

Mine is the MK2 Legacy with 12 games, and the monitor was NOT the BOE. It was a huge controversy in the hobby and forced many people not to buy it. Maybe they've changed it since they shipped?

#1186 1 year ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Never saw one that wasn't a BOE. Never heard on any of the forums about any kind of controversy on them not being a BOE.

Forgive me. I was talking about the wrong one I guess. This is the one that was shipped this summer without the BOE.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#1193 1 year ago
Quoted from Flyfalcons:

Snagged a $299 Ridge Racer as a Christmas present, looking forward to getting it set up. $300 is a nice number for these machines. $600-700 not so much.

If you wait, there are deals to be had. I got my Pong pub table for $199 and ridge racer for $299 the last time it went on sale, but I waited on a couple and ended up missing out. You never know which ones are going to be around.

#1197 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Any thoughts on T2? It’s on sale for $299.99. If not T2, what’s best multiplayer shooter?

I think T2 is a great deal for that money.... but, the rumor is Time Crisis is coming in the next batch of new releases.....

#1203 1 year ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

I’ll probably pass on T2. About to pull the trigger on Dragons Lair - big nostalgia for me on that one.

I think DL is the best game they've done yet. They pretty much nailed every aspect of it. Even the packaging is insane.. it's like opening a new iPhone. Over and above it is...

#1205 1 year ago
Quoted from pinheadpierre:

What are people buying the Arcade1Up stuff with their locked in short list of games per model? Why not get the Atgames legends ultimate which allows you to port your own games into it? Maybe better yet, get their Vpin model and the add-on arcade controls and have an inexpensive readymade pin/arcade mame you can port as many virtual pinball and arcade games to as you like?
https://www.samsclub.com/p/legends-home-arcade-special-edition/prod23603404
https://www.samsclub.com/s/Pinball

I think currently, A1U is making some really nice looking cabs, and I don't care for the look of the Atgames stuff. And the Vpin is a non-starter for me.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tamoore.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1up-arcade-games-cool-or-not-poll-added?tu=tamoore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.