20230312_085253 (resized).jpg
20230220_200930 (resized).jpg
778D6E9B-849E-4541-AC11-A36CA00DB9BF (resized).jpeg
3C145C48-95C6-449B-8DE4-BB87846BC6F3 (resized).jpeg
F2E6C30A-0179-45EC-B899-1D01D6EC73CC (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
C1D7384E-C04A-4BF3-B1EC-6A7C94F6CD75 (resized).jpeg
8153D7AF-981A-40BA-940E-6174642FA228 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider japespin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#398 3 years ago

Has anyone figured out a good way to mix their Arcade1Ups with their real coin-op pins and arcade games? I like the size of these things, because I can cram more in the game room, but man, they looks like cheap knock-off toys next to my pins and arcade games, especially when I sit them next to the real things. Part of me is considering selling them and going with a less-is-more approach to my game room with just actual coin-op machines and maybe a MAME cab.

Then again, maybe it's the size that makes them looks like toys. I dunno. Would love to figure out a way for them to all live together without the 1Ups sticking out like a sore thumb.

4 months later
#562 2 years ago

The 1Ups got zero play in my gameroom when I had people over. I had 7 total at most. If anything, I got scoffed at for them, with the typical comment that they look like cheap toys next to my real coin-op pins, arcade cabinets, and MAME cabinet in the game room. I've since old off most of them, as I realized i didn't really play them much either. I do think they're cool toys, tho. Just not for me.

1 month later
#590 2 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

One of my latest builds for a customer. Wanted it to look more like the original. Now making kits to sell that will will work on Pac Man 40th, Legacy, Ms Pac Man and Super Pac Man. The kit will be for stock monitor and bezel.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

This looks slick. Where are you selling the kits? This makes me consider buying one of those A1Up Legacy cabs. I just can't get on board with their half-ass non-authentic cabinet designs, but this I truly appreciate.

2 years later
#1336 6 months ago
Quoted from undrdog:

What about these are "not arcade quality" ? If this refers to the cabinet, I’m ok with that. If it means gameplay or the quality / responsiveness of the joystick or the monitor, I’ll be more concerned.

There's definitely a difference in the gameplay responsiveness. In a number of the games I owned, including Centipede and Star Wars, there's a noticeable difference (to me at least) in responsiveness between controls and an action actually occurring on screen. I used to own an actual Centipede cabinet, and still own an Atari Star Wars cabinet, and the difference between those and their Arcade1Up counterparts are night and day. I'm so used to the responsiveness on the real games, that I can never reach the same scores on the Arcade1Up games.

Furthermore, a number of titles, there are small details that they slipped on, that make all the difference in the world for me. For example Asteroids Deluxe is only set to 2 ships (not 3). Burger Time is using an 8-way joystick (which makes it difficult to control, since the original uses a 4-way joystick). Those kind of details are maddening.

I think for most people, who've never owned a real arcade cabinet, it's probably good enough. At the end of the day, they're toys, made by folks in the toy and console industries, not arcade collectors/enthusiasts. So if you're hoping for a somewhat close-to-accurate experience, just know it's hit or miss at best.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider japespin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1up-arcade-games-cool-or-not-poll-added?tu=japespin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.