20230312_085253 (resized).jpg
20230220_200930 (resized).jpg
778D6E9B-849E-4541-AC11-A36CA00DB9BF (resized).jpeg
3C145C48-95C6-449B-8DE4-BB87846BC6F3 (resized).jpeg
F2E6C30A-0179-45EC-B899-1D01D6EC73CC (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
C1D7384E-C04A-4BF3-B1EC-6A7C94F6CD75 (resized).jpeg
8153D7AF-981A-40BA-940E-6174642FA228 (resized).jpeg
There are 1,353 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 28.
#1 3 years ago

I've been considering a 1UP Arcade game, are they worth buying? I know the first ones had some quality issues but supposedly they have now upped their quality a little on the joysticks and other components. I like these two cabinets here quite a bit. They are $399.00
u2l9s3nvhmk31 (resized).jpgu2l9s3nvhmk31 (resized).jpg

pacman40-3-4_2048x (resized).pngpacman40-3-4_2048x (resized).png

#2 3 years ago

They have horrible lag. Not worth it unless you really want the licensed art, in which case gut it and replace the computer and display with better equipment. Ideally a gsync/freesync display and decent CPU for basically lag-free gaming. Or go CRT if you want the proper experience.

Otherwise, it's nice unplayable furniture.

#3 3 years ago

Exactly what he said.

Quoted from metallik:

They have horrible lag. Not worth it unless you really want the licensed art, in which case gut it and replace the computer and display with better equipment. Ideally a gsync/freesync display and decent CPU for basically lag-free gaming. Or go CRT if you want the proper experience.
Otherwise, it's nice unplayable furniture.

#4 3 years ago

I have the Mortalkombat one its ok controls are cheap so dont get very rough with them because they wont last.

#5 3 years ago

They are toys for small kids

#6 3 years ago

I have real arcade cabs all original and used to really collect before getting into pinball. I laughed at these arcade 1up cabs, but realized they’re for people that casually want an arcade. I bought a street fighter 1up on clearance and actually really like it. I would never pay full price on these, but definitely fill a need for people not wanting to spend a ton on a single heavy ass arcade cabinet. I like them, but of course prefer original cabs. Get one on discount and it’s cool.

#7 3 years ago

They are fine for what they are. I have a few for the kids and they love them. For the cost that is fine.

#8 3 years ago

Dude.

100% Get one.

They are fun for what they are. I had alot of fun messing with mine. Once I got tired of the built in games I had someone local install a retropi in mine. There are ads on facebook/craigslist for people doing it for a service. I was $700 all in including the 1 up with every video game made before 1995 (seriously... all of them... 18,000+) in an easy to use system my young children could use. You could do a conversion yourself with time. The only reason I sold my setup is because I upgrade to a full sized mame I could play more modern games on. I change out the game every few days so my kids can play something new if they desire.

I am 6'4" tall. I was plenty comfortable sitting on a stool and playing the game on the riser. I could not stand and play to save my life.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/archive/90621

multi (resized).jpgmulti (resized).jpg

#9 3 years ago

I picked up the turtles for my kids, it’s great. I can’t fit those full size arcades in my basement so this is nice. I’m not sure how I feel about having a bunch of them. That said, I want the golden axe one too...

#10 3 years ago

Waiting on the release of house of the dead and big buck hunter from them

#11 3 years ago

I don't have one but have arcades, but my buddy has one with the pi, and I have to say it's pretty fun. They are fun unmodified but purists will notice lag and some other things.

I would say at 400 not for me, but when they are on sale for half or less, go for it.

#12 3 years ago

Seems like a mixed bag so far. Thanks for everyone's feedback so far. I really want to play one of these for myself one day.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Seems like a mixed bag so far. Thanks for everyone's feedback so far. I really want to play one of these for myself one day.

They usually have em setup at Walmart. I snuffed my nose at these in the beginning, but the newer ones really aren’t bad. I Wish they would upgrade to a 19” lcd though.

#14 3 years ago

I saw one at Walmart. The art was completely worn off the control panel, and the controls felt so crappy, like you were kinda playing it. Reminded me of an old car with play in the steering wheel. In my opinion, disposable junk.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

They usually have em setup at Walmart. I snuffed my nose at these in the beginning, but the newer ones really aren’t bad. I Wish they would upgrade to a 19” lcd though.

The new machines are supposed to be much better quality they say, and that is why they cost 100 dollars more now than they did originally. Even if they are great quality though 400 dollars to play Burger Time is a lot of money. Damn the new cabinets are sexy looking though! I think for me its more of a nostalgic thing but gameplay is also very important to me as well. I think that they could use a little more variety on the games. That would definitely make me more eager to buy one.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I saw one at Walmart. The art was completely worn off the control panel, and the controls felt so crappy, like you were kinda playing it. Reminded me of an old car with play in the steering wheel. In my opinion, disposable junk.

That is the older games. The newer ones come with a protective cover over the panel that holds the buttons and joysticks. Also the joysticks now are much higher quality than the older games that they made so anything from here forward will have the better components.

#17 3 years ago

I gutted my SF2 one and installed a Pandora’s box for more games. I find pac-man plays well, but I’m far from a pro and wouldn’t know if it plays like an original. Mortal Kombat was to hard for me, I used the service menu backdoor and changed the difficulty and enjoy it now. Golden tee was played all the time when people were over. We’d have a 4 player pinball and 4 player golden tee running simultaneously. The track ball is very good.

Their light gun technology looks very promising, it doesn’t use a light bar, there’s tech in the gun that always sees the edge of the screen. I plan on getting big buck hunter.

Early reviews of nba jam are mixed. It has a new online gameplay option. So you could play friends from home. But the player roster is only around 70-80% of the original. Although it is online and might be updated.

#18 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Also the joysticks now are much higher quality than the older games

Yes there is a noticeable improvement from SF2 to MK

#19 3 years ago

They are nice if you got kids in the house...But from a collecter standpoint they are small, and cheaply made, The plastic over the control panel (deck protector as they call it) helped save the art, but was poorly executed as it went around the controls/buttons as an afterthought.

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I gutted my SF2 one and installed a Pandora’s box for more games. I find pac-man plays well, but I’m far from a pro and wouldn’t know if it plays like an original. Mortal Kombat was to hard for me, I used the service menu backdoor and changed the difficulty and enjoy it now. Golden tee was played all the time when people were over. We’d have a 4 player pinball and 4 player golden tee running simultaneously. The track ball is very good.
Their light gun technology looks very promising, it doesn’t use a light bar, there’s tech in the gun that always sees the edge of the screen. I plan on getting big buck hunter.
Early reviews of nba jam are mixed. It has a new online gameplay option. So you could play friends from home. But the player roster is only around 70-80% of the original. Although it is online and might be updated.

Im with you on Big Buck Hunter and whatS that one gun game called, house of the dead or something like that? That would be so cool if they made that one.

#21 3 years ago

I have the Rampage cab and we enjoy it, we play gauntlet mostly. I am probably going to try to trade it for one of the pacman 40th cabs, as well as going to buy the virtual pin when they release.

#22 3 years ago

These are cheap and light. Don’t expect a commercial grade machine. They’re easy to pick up and move around, store in the garage And rotate the lineup. The small footprint means you can put them just about anywhere. When you get bored of it in the game room, just take it off the riser and put it in the bathroom. Lol.

#23 3 years ago
D08BD4C8-569C-4A0D-BA67-0A0989FB3015 (resized).jpegD08BD4C8-569C-4A0D-BA67-0A0989FB3015 (resized).jpeg
#24 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

I have the Rampage cab and we enjoy it, we play gauntlet mostly. I am probably going to try to trade it for one of the pacman 40th cabs, as well as going to buy the virtual pin when they release.

I really like the Mrs Pac Man thats coming out better but the only thing that sucks is it comes with Galaxian and Pac Man somes with Galaga. Galaga is much better than Galaxian but i like Mrs Pac Man better that the regular Pac Man and that Mrs Pac Man cabinet is extremely sexy!

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I really like the Mrs Pac Man thats coming out better but the only thing that sucks is it comes with Galaxian and Pac Man somes with Galaga. Galaga is much better than Galaxian but i like Mrs Pac Man better that the regular Pac Man and that Mrs Pac Man cabinet is extremely sexy!

Yeah that blue cab sure does look good.

I also agree about the house of the dead cab. If they do a shooter cab with some area 51 games or house of the dead games, i'm in on that too.

#26 3 years ago

I’m sure that arcade1up will release multiple versions of mrs pac man over the years with different game packs. Even burger time was originally a run of karate champ cabinets, but fan support had them rerelease them as burger time. A smart move, cause that cabinet looks sweet.

I was shocked that they were even able to make the mrs pac man, but there is a loophole in the licensing. It covered coin-ops and digital downloads. Since this is a all in one box they got away with it.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from Luckydogg420:

I’m sure that arcade1up will release multiple versions of mrs pac man over the years with different game packs. Even burger time was originally a run of karate champ cabinets, but fan support had them rerelease them as burger time. A smart move, cause that cabinet looks sweet.
I was shocked that they were even able to make the mrs pac man, but there is a loophole in the licensing. It covered coin-ops and digital downloads. Since this is a all in one box they got away with it.

Isn’t Mrs. Pac Man Supposed to be a better game than Pac Man? I suck so bad at pac man that its not even funny.

#29 3 years ago

I just went to their web site, it’s quite the impressive lineup of games they have available. I honestly think these are just a fad and we’ll only get new ones for a couple more years. Arcade1up is very receptive to social media, even doing live YouTube streams answering submitted questions. So I think they are working to get all of the games we love for the past. 87E565D5-7D87-457D-8AA8-7EF9D3B8680A (resized).png87E565D5-7D87-457D-8AA8-7EF9D3B8680A (resized).png2A620878-8CFF-423E-9944-2715D3FE7148 (resized).png2A620878-8CFF-423E-9944-2715D3FE7148 (resized).png0A8868F6-8F7D-4789-A3EE-412CF288327F (resized).png0A8868F6-8F7D-4789-A3EE-412CF288327F (resized).png

#30 3 years ago

My GF bought the star wars one. It's kind of a PITA to put together, but it's ok for what it is. It's WAY better than attempts in the past (anyone remember the Target arcade with the 13" monitor with a huge bezel to make it look like a 19"?).

For just playing a game it's fine. I'm not going to try and break world records on it. It's fun. It REALLY needs a rapid fire mod as my carpal tunnel flares on an average game.

Any future video games I'd probably get a purpose built arcade cab and stuff it myself with the RasPi - already have that connected to the TV for occasional gaming. That's all I seem to do with classic games, just a casual play once in a while. Most of the time on Ms Pacman I play one man and turn it off, and I only like the speed up version.

A buddy has a LOT of the 1up cabs, there's a huge mod community for them. He has a cab setup to play Tron like the arcade, etc. I'd rather use the real estate in the basement for pins.

#31 3 years ago

I voted YES... but with an explanation. If you can get one cheap enough, they are cool as filler... I leave the one I have down low for the kids to play. And they play well enough for a few games every now and then. Kids like them for the small size. My Asteroids / Lunar Lander I got almost brand new for $100.

With that being said... I have a large collection of actual arcade games too...

#32 3 years ago

This is sick looking!

90E8B794-725F-468B-9469-CC798ABE23BE (resized).png90E8B794-725F-468B-9469-CC798ABE23BE (resized).png
#33 3 years ago

I own a few but only because i was able to get them all for under $100 on clearance. I don't think I could pay full price for one however many people do. I owned a lot of dedicated arcade games so knew what to expect with these machines. However they fit nicely along my one all where the TV is and I really could not put any pinball machines or standard size arcade games. My plan is to eventually modify two of them with Pandora or some multigame board (one vertical screen and one horizonal screen machine). Even at full price they are still cheaper then a Stern JP topper.

#34 3 years ago

I believe NBA jam is internet connected...you can play your buddy across town on one if you want. Super cool!

#35 3 years ago

I purchased one off CL with upgraded PC ,805 games including FX pinball ,sound bar,keyboard for changing controls on each game to suit player and we’ve all been having fun with it .It is just a toy however I wish I would’ve put that $ toward a pro cabinet .

DAF2DABE-70CB-4894-90CE-68F6E18E13D5 (resized).pngDAF2DABE-70CB-4894-90CE-68F6E18E13D5 (resized).pngF26C772C-F3C4-44F3-AAD8-06339E523F28 (resized).jpegF26C772C-F3C4-44F3-AAD8-06339E523F28 (resized).jpeg
#36 3 years ago

I hated them at first, then bought one, I got the Marvel LE cabinet with the Sanwa sticks.

It's actually really nice; for the money, it's great. I have collected over a dozen arcade cabs over the years, and the problem is that they are huge and CRT's have a lot of issues; so upkeep is difficult. Plus the resale on them is not great, nothing like Pins...Pins are easy to move if priced right, Arcade cabs, not as much.

So I have come around, the size of them is great too; let's me fit in more pins, and the price is a no brainer.

Is it as good as the real thing?? Hell no; but it's economical, and you still get that feel that you are looking for.

#37 3 years ago

Yea I think for the money why not. If you want arcade games and are limited to space then you can't go wrong.
With a pin hobby limited space is usually a deciding factor for most. I just picked up the SW Arcade 1 Up the other week
from Best Buy. I can't believe the condition it was received in. The guy from curbside pickup threw it in the back of my suv
and the box/packaging looked like it went through a war! Took all out when I got home and surprisingly all intact.
Still have to assemble though. I been eyeing up a NBA Jam next.

#38 3 years ago

They are cool enough. Huge pain to build. Way worse than IKEA furniture.

You can pick them up used all the time for huge savings.

I have modded a couple on the cheap and my kids like them.

I don’t have enough space in the back portion of my game room to have 2 pins facing each other (except for the shorter RFM) so these full the space nicely.

36D48237-B067-4DE0-8FA4-98D9596D09BE (resized).jpeg36D48237-B067-4DE0-8FA4-98D9596D09BE (resized).jpeg8BAEE694-96E0-4175-A2E7-560B577758E0 (resized).jpeg8BAEE694-96E0-4175-A2E7-560B577758E0 (resized).jpeg
#39 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Isn’t Mrs. Pac Man Supposed to be a better game than Pac Man? I suck so bad at pac man that its not even funny.

I think so imo. I have the Namco cabaret version of Ms Pac man with Galaga but can pull up regular pac man through a joystick
movement code of some sort on this thing. Still play Ms Pac man more though.

#40 3 years ago

Buy one you are interested in. You and your family will enjoy it! I own several and modded two of them.

If you really want to know more, visit the reddit site.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Arcade1Up/

You are going to find 50% of the people will say no and the other 50% yes.

They are not collectibles. They will go nicely in any arcade room setup.

The average person could care less if they are a real size or not.

#41 3 years ago

I do like these 1UP cabs. I got mine with the idea that I was going to mod it. So some things to keep in mind...if your going to install an old desktop or laptop to play thousands of other games you can only play what you have controls for. If you get a pacman that only has a stick that can't even go diagonal and no buttons your limited to only games that play in that config. I spaciffically got one with an 8 way stick and 6 buttons so after I modded it I can play nearly every game out there. Also keep in mind some have cheap buttons and sticks and others have pro Sanwa sticks and buttons. I got the LE Marvel Super Heros cab. With an oldish desktop running everything using Launchbox to run the front-end, with nearly 7,000 games. From all the old arcade games, NES, SNES, Genesis, Neo-Geo, PS1, And Dreamcast.

Just want to share some things to keep in mind

20200710_090443 (resized).jpg20200710_090443 (resized).jpg
#42 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Quoted from FalconDriver:

I think so imo. I have the Namco cabaret version of Ms Pac man with Galaga but can pull up regular pac man through a joystick

I think the maze variation, speed boost, variety of items and visuals just make it a bit more polished than the original.

I was oddly just watching this the other day at lunch. He does nice quality videos!

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from FalconDriver:

I like Pac better, to each their own...Both are obviously classics

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from swampshroom:

I do like these 1UP cabs. I got mine with the idea that I was going to mod it. So some things to keep in mind...if your going to install an old desktop or laptop to play thousands of other games you can only play what you have controls for. If you get a pacman that only has a stick that can't even go diagonal and no buttons your limited to only games that play in that config. I spaciffically got one with an 8 way stick and 6 buttons so after I modded it I can play nearly every game out there. Also keep in mind some have cheap buttons and sticks and others have pro Sanwa sticks and buttons. I got the LE Marvel Super Heros cab. With an oldish desktop running everything using Launchbox to run the front-end, with nearly 7,000 games. From all the old arcade games, NES, SNES, Genesis, Neo-Geo, PS1, And Dreamcast.
Just want to share some things to keep in mind
[quoted image]

I have that Marvel Arcade 1up running the stock games, too lazy to put Mame in it...Is it worth it? Every Mame setup I've ever had just feels overwhelming; too many game syndrome.

I love the Punisher, just wish you could crank down the difficulty on the Xmen and Marvel fighting games, they are pretty tough

#45 3 years ago

I agree with the earlier post that these are a fad. Once the nostalgia wears off, people will start dumping them for cheap. For $400, you can build a nice MAME PC and throw it in any old arcade cabinet. It makes for a great project and you can get exactly the setup and games you want with better performance. Just buy a license for Launchbox and *acquire* some ROMs from the internet and you're ready to go.

If the nostalgia ever wears off, then at least you have a PC.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:I have that Marvel Arcade 1up running the stock games, too lazy to put Mame in it...Is it worth it? Every Mame setup I've ever had just feels overwhelming; too many game syndrome.
I love the Punisher, just wish you could crank down the difficulty on the Xmen and Marvel fighting games, they are pretty tough

I think it is definitely worth it. Your right, way to many games. But spend an evening going down memory lane and putting them into a favorites list and you will be so happy you modded it.

ETAPrime on YouTube is where I got most of my mod info from. Super easy after that.

#47 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

I agree with the earlier post that these are a fad. Once the nostalgia wears off, people will start dumping them for cheap. For $400, you can build a nice MAME PC and throw it in any old arcade cabinet. It makes for a great project and you can get exactly the setup and games you want with better performance. Just buy a license for Launchbox and *acquire* some ROMs from the internet and you're ready to go.
If the nostalgia ever wears off, then at least you have a PC.

These aren't targeting people who are hard core enthusiasts and know how to set up Mame. They are for the average Joe who who doesn't have the space or time to roll around a mildew filled, cigarette burned 30 year old cabinet into their family room and set up and configure mame.

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from swampshroom:

I think it is definitely worth it. Your right, way to many games. But spend an evening going down memory lane and putting them into a favorites list and you will be so happy you modded it.

ETAPrime on YouTube is where I got most of my mod info from. Super easy after that.

+1 for ETAPrime. Great channel.

Also, the too many games thing is real. I have way more fun with just 60 games on my MAME cab than I ever did with 12,000+.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

These aren't targeting people who are hard core enthusiasts and know how to set up Mame. They are for the average Joe who who doesn't have the space or time to roll around a mildew filled, cigarette burned 30 year old cabinet into their family room and set up and configure mame.

I agree. I was just offering the MAME thing as an alternative option. Most people don't even know what MAME is. It's a rabbit hole though once you get started. Tons of fun setting everything up just the way you want and seeing the games come to life.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

. For $400, you can build a nice MAME PC and throw it in any old arcade cabinet.

Building the PC is the easy part but setting everything up to have a nice front end can be overwhelming. I have a MAME machine that cost a few grand when new and it has a really nice trisync crt monitor however the front end is dated and I dread having to start all over. Setting up another front end is pain which is why the machine pretty much just sits there and collects dust. I'll probably just end up paying someone to set mine up since it's not worth the time and hassle for me.

There are 1,353 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 28.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1up-arcade-games-cool-or-not-poll-added?hl=mafia_metals and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.