20230220_200930 (resized).jpg
778D6E9B-849E-4541-AC11-A36CA00DB9BF (resized).jpeg
3C145C48-95C6-449B-8DE4-BB87846BC6F3 (resized).jpeg
F2E6C30A-0179-45EC-B899-1D01D6EC73CC (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpg
C1D7384E-C04A-4BF3-B1EC-6A7C94F6CD75 (resized).jpeg
8153D7AF-981A-40BA-940E-6174642FA228 (resized).jpeg
20230204_155904 (resized).jpg

There are 1,346 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 27.
#51 3 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Building the PC is the easy part but setting everything up to have a nice front end can be overwhelming. I have a MAME machine that cost a few grand when new and it has a really nice trisync crt monitor however the front end is dated and I dread having to start all over. Setting up another front end is pain which is why the machine pretty much just sits there and collects dust.

That's why I suggested Launchbox. You can set the whole thing up in 15 minutes and have a nice arcade front end with BigBox. Anyone with access to YouTube can have a nice setup in an afternoon. Heck, I didn't even build my PC. I just bought a Dell Optiplex with a 3rd gen i7 for $95 shipped and it plays everything well without a graphics card.

#52 3 years ago

I’ve got a collection of full sized arcade video games so when a friend got the Arcade Legends Ultimate cab I gave him so much crap about it.

Fast forward a couple weeks and I realize the community for the 1up Arcade is huge and they are easy/inexpensive to mod. Now I have two, and I think I’m done. They are fun for what they are. I won’t make fun of them anymore as long as they have the riser.

8BD4E6BB-316B-4F66-8BB0-32DCB0857BC2 (resized).jpeg8BD4E6BB-316B-4F66-8BB0-32DCB0857BC2 (resized).jpeg
#53 3 years ago

Tankstick: $200
https://shop.xgaming.com/products/x-arcade-tankstick-trackball-usb-included

Dell Optiplex with i7-3770: (They sell at auction for about $100-$120)
ebay.com link: Dell Optiplex 7010 DT 500GB HDD I7 3770 8GB 1

Launchbox Premium lifetime license: $45
https://www.launchbox-app.com/

Games: Free online at archive.org
https://archive.org/details/MAME_0.209_ROMs_merged

MAME Emulator:
https://www.mamedev.org/

You could build a machine in an afternoon for less than the 1UP with the potential to play thousands of games. With the trackball on the Tankstick you can play things like Golden Tee, Centipede, Marble Madness, etc.

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

Every Mame setup I've ever had just feels overwhelming; too many game syndrome.

Easy fix, just install the games you like and leave the rest out. Just because it can play everything doesn't mean you need to HAVE everything.

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

That's why I suggested Launchbox. You can set the whole thing up in 15 minutes and have a nice arcade front end with BigBox. Anyone with access to YouTube can have a nice setup in an afternoon. Heck, I didn't even build my PC. I just bought a Dell Optiplex with a 3rd gen i7 for $95 shipped and it plays everything well without a graphics card.

Thanks for the info and links above since I never heard of Launchbox. Unless you follow the MAME community it's hard to keep up with the latest and greatest front ends. Last time I looked into upgrading mine Hyperspin was the front end of choice which was not easy to setup. That is why I planned on throwing a Pandora in my horizontal arcade 1up and a 60 in1 in my vertical 1up just to keep it simple. However I'll look into Launchbox for my dedicated MAME machine.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from chooch:

Last time I looked into upgrading mine Hyperspin was the front end of choice which was not easy to setup.

Hyperspin is an absolute nightmare. Or at least it was last time I tried to use it too. Got a LaunchBox license and never looked back. There are different skins you can download from the LaunchBox community, but the stock one looks extremely polished.

#57 3 years ago

I still use MAMEWAH. Lightweight and simple to use, although not the easiest to set up. Once you have a setup it's easy to clone though.

#58 3 years ago

I got to be honest, when I played one at Walmart (TMNT...I was really looking at getting one), I almost felt I could physically stomp it and it would fall apart like wet Ikea furniture.

I can't imagine it last more than a couple weeks, and man.....to play 4 players on TMNT on a full scale game can be a lil...invasive.....

On a 1-up game? We'd practically be sitting in each other's laps while sneezing COVID into each other.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Pahuffman:

Also, the too many games thing is real. ...

so true

But from the other end, becasue of space, It would be hard to imagine a dedicated machine worth owning.

Quoted from metallik:

Easy fix, just install the games you like and leave the rest out. Just because it can play everything doesn't mean you need to HAVE everything.

Agreed...but when you'e pulling off a list of 15000 that can get daunting as well, althogh there are probably easier ways to do it.
I remember spending hours every couple nights removing games from the C++ list or whatever the hell it was...grueling work but at least my mame is taken apart and sitting under a table after all that

#60 3 years ago

If you're not a purist collector then I would say go fo it. As been stated they came a long way since the first generation of games. Better controls, most come with riser included, better sound, control deck protectors, lighted marques even the monitor is now slanted back farther to make it easier to view. And the best thing is they are not 300 Lb beasts. Love how light they are. They do feel cheap because of this but they are actually pretty sturdy. One the first gen games there were glitches. Some with sound and some with game play. A lot of that has been fixed with updates.

I had a full size Jamma cab set up to a 19 in 1 Williams games. Picked up a couple of the clearance 1ups and sold my full size cab. Moved everything over to my 1up. I also have an original Ms Pac with 60 in 1 and plan on buying the new 1up Ms pack and selling my original. I don't play video games competitively so don't care if there is a minor difference in game play or sound. I just play to have fun.
I also have a gen one 12 in 1 Asteroids with Tempest and other games. I upgraded the spinner and trackball. and slanted the monitor back on it. I'm very happy with it. Working on converting a Galaga cab into a 60 in 1 at the moment.

#61 3 years ago

Converting this one to a 60 in 1 with 20” Dell monitor.

85EDFFBA-16FF-49FE-9691-CAE75B2338FE (resized).jpeg85EDFFBA-16FF-49FE-9691-CAE75B2338FE (resized).jpeg
#62 3 years ago
Quoted from Wolfmarsh:

going to buy the virtual pin when they release.

I’ll likely get one as well. I think the kids will enjoy it. Heh, they may think it’s cool having a mini afm like dads

#63 3 years ago

I'd rather have a full sized, well-built virtual machine 98% of the time, but there's two cases so far where I have (or will have) a 1UP: Star Wars Arcade and the forthcoming Big Buck Hunter, because of the unique controls. I like my SW Arcade 1UP. Decent quality build material, not pressboard junk, control stick isn't metal but is still solid and heavy, I don't notice any lag personally (maybe that was an issue with older 1UP tech?), the marquee lights up, and it plays all three flight stick Star Wars games. Pretty neat for tree fiddy. I wish BBH was coming out soon, my wife keeps asking me about birthday gifts.

#64 3 years ago
20200326_114846 (resized).jpg20200326_114846 (resized).jpg
#65 3 years ago

Yay if it’s on sale , you have young kids, or you want a cheap but good looking cab to mod

Nay if paying full price.

#66 3 years ago

Can't beat CRTs though

20200405_163753 (resized).jpg20200405_163753 (resized).jpg20200417_131738 (resized).jpg20200417_131738 (resized).jpg20200510_101602 (resized).jpg20200510_101602 (resized).jpg
#67 3 years ago

I purchased the Asteroids cabinet (Asteroids, Tempest, Lunar Lander)... one of the earlier cabs. I absolutely love it. No lag. I did replace the spinner with a higher quality spinner. Sure, it has an IKEA feel but overall it's pretty sturdy. For under $200, I gotten my money's worth out of it.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from metallik:

Not for me. I have OCD, can’t have wrestlefest without Wrestlemania, Jam without blitz, street fighter without KOF, etc. it never ends. Lol

#69 3 years ago

How’s the golden tee? I love golden tee fore, I wish they Had an arcade 1up for that

#70 3 years ago

On the very first ones there were a couple issues but they updated them and they work fine now.

I got one of the Tempest/Asteroids on clearance for $75. On the pcb there are headers for usb and uart. Once you have usb you can add a keyboard and get into the system and add games and more. There is only so much room so you can't add every mame game but you can do a lot. I added a real spinner and now have all the original games from 1up plus Arkanoid, Cameltry, and many more. It is also easy to add a brightness control to the monitor which makes a world of difference on vector games. I was under $140 into it and liked it so much I splurged for the $50 artwork for the riser and front and monitor surround.

You can find them on clearance every now and again but you can also get used for considerably less. I don't know how I would feel if I spent $300 or $400 initially but am really happy with it for what I have into it. I do want to get the Star Wars one but haven't seen a deal on one yet so I might pay full price because for that it is worth it.

#71 3 years ago

I have around 10 of them... and for what they cost they are worth it. My favorite is the 40th anniversary Pacman, Star Wars, TMNT and we plan on getting NBA Jams (I played it at a show in February and we loved it).

A few thoughts

1- if you really like the game you may want to buy updated joysticks and buttons. The joysticks are probably the most important upgrade

2- Buy a street fighter cabinet and a retro-pi upgrade kit.

#72 3 years ago

I love them. Three countercades here and they are fantastic.

#73 3 years ago

As is, I was not impressed. If you are willing to work on them, that's another story. I have two. A golden t, and a modded final fight.

#74 3 years ago

@HFK...If you get one you may want to tear it down before you assemble it...They must have had a doped up monkey doing the soldering because it is really bad...(Or at least the one I cut up was) perhaps they got some quality controls going on now who knows, Just saying...

#75 3 years ago

The 40th anniversary Pac Man is 499.99, I thought they were 399.99. Five hundred dollars is definitely more than I would want to pay because let's be realistic, do you think you would really play it that much?

The Burger Time you can buy factory direct for 399.99 with the matching riser included. Thats more doable but still not cheap. What state are these made in, does anyone know?

#76 3 years ago

I have Atari Centipede/Asteroids 12-in-1 and love it! It came with a riser. I like that the cabinet has high quality art work. It is very easy to move around at home.

Mod it to make it great! I had to replace the spinner and trackball to arcade quality versions or would have been unsatisfied. It so great to play Tempest, Quantum, Major Havoc, Centipede, Asteroids, Crystal Castles, Missile Command, etc. on real arcade controls from back in the day. I installed a USB port so that I could enter hidden MAME menu to tweak the trackball and spinner settings to perfectly match the real arcade game plus you can also turn on “ Super Breakout” to play from this hidden menu. Another cool mod to is light up light up marquee that creates a nice arcade experience. I also added some black screw covers to clean up the cabinet a bit.

I bought the game “as new” off craigslist real cheap. Every single vector on this game is a gem that would be worth the purchase price. Every single trackball game would be worth the price. Every single spinner game would be worth the price.

390D5985-0FE4-4FBB-BDB0-DAC0621F4F3F (resized).jpeg390D5985-0FE4-4FBB-BDB0-DAC0621F4F3F (resized).jpeg
#77 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

The 40th anniversary Pac Man is 499.99, I thought they were 399.99. Five hundred dollars is definitely more than I would want to pay because let's be realistic, do you think you would really play it that much?
The Burger Time you can buy factory direct for 399.99 with the matching riser included. Thats more doable but still not cheap. What state are these made in, does anyone know?

I had a big buck hunter pro and a wrestlefest Originals , as much as I love old school games they can get stale . That's why I play pinball . I got a Pandora's box with over 1200 games in it , plug into the TV and you're good to go . If I was you I would buy a full size arcade cabinet and have hyperspin or mame in it and have thousands of games to play .

IMG20170611235123 (resized).jpgIMG20170611235123 (resized).jpgIMG20170713202431 (resized).jpgIMG20170713202431 (resized).jpgIMG20200711203205 (resized).jpgIMG20200711203205 (resized).jpg
#78 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Just look at Craigslist and Facebook marketplace frequently and you can get one second hand for way cheaper. They don't appeal to me because I started collecting with dedicated arcade games and then pinball later but I get the temptation pinheads have for something cheap for a quick nostalgia fix.

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think the 40th edition pacman will occasionally go on sale and drop to $400. I have seen it at that price before.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from NC_Pin:

I think the 40th edition pacman will occasionally go on sale and drop to $400. I have seen it at that price before.

I would think so too unless they sell out of them. They are only making like 3,075 units. I guess that could be a lot maybe.....depends on how many of these that they sell.

#81 3 years ago
Quoted from screaminr:

I had a big buck hunter pro and a wrestlefest Originals , as much as I love old school games they can get stale . That's why I play pinball . I got a Pandora's box with over 1200 games in it , plug into the TV and you're good to go . If I was you I would buy a full size arcade cabinet and have hyperspin or mame in it and have thousands of games to play .
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think I got that exact same Pandora box for Christmas. I really like it

#82 3 years ago

I didn’t know there were that many people here on pinside with them.

I own 7 of them. All first and second gen. Modded two of them with 60-1 and 19-1 conversions. Bought most of them on sale back when they were making way more than they were selling, so many went on sale.

Converted the Asteroids into a Williams Multicade complete with new side art. Added light up marquees to them.

Arcade 1Up has come a long way from the first gen and learned a lot. They keep having more and more surveys asking lots of questions. Looks like they are making a serious attempt to sell models that people desire and fix the issues they had in the beginning.

0B4FE873-3B85-4C17-AECD-44712B7A6C5C (resized).jpeg0B4FE873-3B85-4C17-AECD-44712B7A6C5C (resized).jpeg34A93E0C-BC41-41CB-A258-3B13338F83F6 (resized).jpeg34A93E0C-BC41-41CB-A258-3B13338F83F6 (resized).jpegE83939BC-CDA8-4ECA-B617-0A1AF83BC0FE (resized).jpegE83939BC-CDA8-4ECA-B617-0A1AF83BC0FE (resized).jpeg
#83 3 years ago

From the questions they are asking on their surveys, it looks like they may start making sizes that are larger than the current size.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

From the questions they are asking on their surveys, it looks like they may start making sizes that are larger than the current size.

I think them being smaller is kind of cool, especially for people like yourself that want multiple games. Seven real arcade games like you have would take up an enormous amount of space. Do you know what state this company is located in?

#85 3 years ago

My brother has a couple of these. I think for what they are, they are fantastic. I’m interested to see if they move forward with the Williams and Bally zen tables.

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think them being smaller is kind of cool, especially for people like yourself that want multiple games. Seven real arcade games like you have would take up an enormous amount of space. Do you know what state this company is located in?

If my memory serves me correctly, Arcade 1Up is owned by Tastemakers LLC. Tastemakers was out of NY and they have made a lot of toys in the past.

#87 3 years ago

The community on the reddit site is a great starting place if you are interested in them.

Like others have mentioned, ETAPrime has great videos and info on modding.

There are a whole bunch of sites dedicated to them for parts, art, modding, etc.

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

As a pinball collector the smaller size is the biggest thing I like about them. I can fit 3 games where I could only fit 2 full sized cabs. Once my 60 in 1 is complete I'm selling off my last full size cab. Still would like to get the Star Wars one someday.

#90 3 years ago

I still don't know why anyone would consider an Arcade 1up at full price, when you can, well could....get one of these for $500/$600.

https://www.atgames.net/arcades/features/

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from LukyDuck:

If my memory serves me correctly, Arcade 1Up is owned by Tastemakers LLC. Tastemakers was out of NY and they have made a lot of toys in the past.

Yep- this is correct.

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from wesman:

I still don't know why anyone would consider an Arcade 1up at full price, when you can, well could....get one of these for $500/$600.
https://www.atgames.net/arcades/features/

I think people like the cabinet art and the fact maybe that these are smaller maybe? The games list on that multicade really doesnt seem all that impressive? Theres no pac man, donkey kong, paper boy, phoenix, RBI baseball, galaga, galaxian etc on it unless i overlooked it. I guess maybe you could put them on it maybe?

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

As a pinball collector the smaller size is the biggest thing I like about them. I can fit 3 games where I could only fit 2 full sized cabs. Once my 60 in 1 is complete I'm selling off my last full size cab. Still would like to get the Star Wars one someday.

Exactly! Have Star Wars, TMNT and a Golden Tee on the way. Fits in a small space nicely and a great compliment to a pinball collection.

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I think people like the cabinet art and the fact maybe that these are smaller maybe? The games list on that multicade really doesnt seem all that impressive? Theres no pac man, donkey kong, paper boy, phoenix, RBI baseball, galaga, galaxian etc on it unless i overlooked it. I guess maybe you could put them on it maybe?

The cab art for Arcade 1up games is really it's best aspect, other than it's footprint. But if I were choosing one cab, no matter the size, I'd shoot for this.

It's entirely modifiable for more games.

Look at the first five seconds of the video. The control layout is far, far superior to Arcade 1up stuff, sans mods.

#95 3 years ago

I get what you are saying for sure but I think it's just maybe a lot of things. I think a lot of people are probably intimidated by installing the games and I bet that cabinet is pretty heavy also. I think a lot of people just like the fact that you set them up and start playing very easily. I dont know really because I honestly dont know crap about any if this stuff. Maybe some of the other posters can chime in and give the pros and the cons.

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I get what you are saying for sure but I think it's just maybe a lot of things. I think a lot of people are probably intimidated by installing the games and I bet that cabinet is pretty heavy also. I think a lot of people just like the fact that you set them up and start playing very easily. I dont know really because I honestly dont know crap about any if this stuff. Maybe some of the other posters can chime in and give the pros and the cons.

This looks even less complicated to setup than Arcade 1up stuff.

I think the main unit is akin to a (shit, forgot what I was referring too!), as in it's all integrated with the joystick assembly.

Has to be not too much heavier either. It's basically hollow. I can't imagine this weighing more than 80 pounds.

I'd definitely like to hear feedback from people familiar, and that might own both.

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from dsmoke1986:

How’s the golden tee? I love golden tee fore, I wish they Had an arcade 1up for that

it's the most played Arcade 1 up, great against mates with a few beers

#98 3 years ago

A1U’s are approximately 60 lbs. they are easy to pickup and move by yourself.

Completing a jamma setup in one is simple also. Anyone that can follow schematics can do it.

#99 3 years ago

Well i finally said the heck with it and ordered the BurgerTime game. I figure if i don't like it for some reason i can always sell it. If i like it i may have an interest in The Golden Tee and Strike Force Bowling combo that is coming out soon and Big Buck Hunter.

u2l9s3nvhmk31 (resized).jpgu2l9s3nvhmk31 (resized).jpg
#100 3 years ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Well i finally said the heck with it and ordered the BurgerTime game. I figure if i don't like it for some reason i can always sell it. If i like it i may have an interest in The Golden Tee and Strike Force Bowling combo that is coming out soon and Big Buck Hunter. [quoted image]

$400/500?

I still have my $80 Asteroids unit from Walmart clearance from a year ago I've yet to mod. I kinda feel like it will be more a pain in the ass to buy and set up Pie, than it's worth...

640-06051217en_Masterfile (resized).jpg640-06051217en_Masterfile (resized).jpg
There are 1,346 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 27.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1up-arcade-games-cool-or-not-poll-added/page/2?hl=jwf_pinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.