(Topic ID: 330546)

1st TPF…Must Do ?

By lazySUNBATHER

1 year ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

991AD336-0CCF-4610-8BAC-DDF4EC6AA17E (resized).png
    #1 1 year ago

Traveling from Florida to my 1st
    Texas Pinball Festival. Looking for some must do activities while attending.

#2 1 year ago

Get to the Saturday morning swap meet at least an hour before it starts for the good stuff.

#3 1 year ago

Perry's Steakhouse across the street for the pork chop lunch special on Friday. Meat candy.

#5 1 year ago

Get there early.

And bathe.

And wash your hands.

Bring a bottle of sanitizer and put it on your belt so you aren't getting booger, spit, sweat, and poo poo particles on your hands from people that don't know to wash their hands after wiping their ass.

#6 1 year ago

Hard Eight BBQ - Yum!

#7 1 year ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

Hard Eight BBQ - Yum!

Sure is. Lockhart is another good one. A trip to buccees is always an adventure too.

#8 1 year ago

I recommend a stop at the National Videogame Museum.
    They usually have a shuttle bus running to/from it.

#9 1 year ago

Check out the CGC booth.

Stop by jjp booth and ask when they are getting LTG : ) Back.

#10 1 year ago

Thanks for taking time to present some great options while attending TPF.
    I also will be hunting for some tasty high end Bottles of BOURBON while we are there.
    So much to do !

#11 1 year ago

Bring food or plan time to go away and get food. The food at the convention center sucks and is $$$$$$.

#12 1 year ago

Attend a seminar or two.

Watch a little of the tournament in the spectators room.

Play some older games, don’t just stand in line for the new games all day. Find a game you’ve never played before and play it.

Check out the mod makers, their booths are awesome and I’ve always found plenty of cool people to talk to.

Take a break now and again, walk to a local place for lunch (can confirm the food there is overpriced and terrible). Food truck food is ok.

Have fun!

#13 1 year ago

Mr. Sushi in Dallas. It's worth the drive.

http://www.mrsushidallas.com/

#14 1 year ago
    Quoted from SKWilson:

Perry's Steakhouse across the street for the pork chop lunch special on Friday. Meat candy.

I have to agree with this one, the pork chop is darn good.

#15 1 year ago

National Videogame Museum

http://www.nvmusa.org

#16 1 year ago

Definitely hit up the meet and greet and say hello to all the vendors.

#17 1 year ago

Don't be a Bally/Williams/stern snob play games that don't get love like gottlieb system 3s and mylstars.

#18 1 year ago
    Quoted from Bmad21:

Don't be a Bally/Williams/stern snob play games that don't get love like gottlieb system 3s and mylstars.

Who doesn't like a Jamaican Alligator in SURF n SAFARI ???

#19 1 year ago

Just came here to give some advice.... I live 3 miles away from TPF.... this is my home area

1. Perry's pork chop on Friday lunch---- Do not miss this, or you'll pay triple price at dinner for the same plate (5 min walk across the street from the hotel)

2. There is a massive mall (Stonebriar) across from the hotel (5 min walk).... They have a massive food court, and any shop you could need to grab a necessity you forgot. There is also a Super Target, Best Buy, and TJ Maxx in the same area

3. You are within a 5 min drive/shuttle/Uber to about 90 different restaurants. Everything from high end steakhouses, to fast food. If you don't have a car, you can walk to any of the restaurants that ring the mall area. None should be more than a 15 min walk from your room to the front door .........Chilis, Jimmy Johns, Jasons Deli, EG Steak, La Madeleine, Normas Mexican, Platia Greek, Piada Italian Street, Tourchys Tacos, Chef Chen Chinese, Olive Garden, In N Out, IHOP, Wingstop, Red Lobster, Wild Pitch (Hooters knockoff with skimpier outfits)

4. If you want high end nightlife, hit up Shops at Legacy, expect higher pricing here too (5 min Uber). There are a bunch of patio bars, and little shops to walk around...........Capital Grille, Seasons 52, Mexican Sugar, Flemings, Sambuca 360, Del Friscos, CRU wine bar, Bob's Steak & Chop House

5. Take a visit to The Star (Dallas Cowboys Headquarters, also just a 5 min Uber away).... There are another 15-20 restaurants in this area as well, all within 2-5 min walk (Best brunch area in Frisco)

6. While everything is "close by" in terms of Texas perception, you'll still want an Uber/shuttle/car to do most things. You won't be more than a 5 min ride away, but it'll still be across two highways, and 2-3 miles

7. The National Video Game museum is about a 10-15 min shuttle ride from TPF (they usually have a shuttle, uber is fine too)

If I can help out, or maybe provide a ride, let me know! I'll be there most of the weekend when I don't retreat to my own house for sanity's sake

#20 1 year ago
    Quoted from lazySUNBATHER:

Thanks for taking time to present some great options while attending TPF.
    I also will be hunting for some tasty high end Bottles of BOURBON while we are there.
    So much to do !

Spec's (liquor store 5 min away) will be where you search for bottles of this

#21 1 year ago
    Quoted from BlackTiePinhead:

Spec's (liquor store 5 min away) will be where you search for bottles of this

Pinsiders are the BEST !!!!
    Thanks for the detailed information

#22 1 year ago

DONT DRINK AND DRIVE.

If you think that you can drive or cant drive after a couple of drinks, you hand the keys to someone else.

If you can't handle those kind of beverages just cut out the booze and stick to Virgin drinks and sodas.

Just avoid booze like me. Sober since My mom brought me into the world 26 years ago.

Booze and Pinball need to unmarry themselves.

#23 1 year ago

Wild Pitch!
    See you there!

#24 1 year ago

Check out the customized and rethemed machines; TPF has more homebrew games than any other show.

#25 1 year ago
    Quoted from titanpenguin:

Sure is. Lockhart is another good one. A trip to buccees is always an adventure too.

If you haven't tried Cattleack BBQ yet, I highly recommend it. Only open thursday, Friday, and the first Saturday of the month, and only for lunch. Be prepared for an absurdly long line, but it's worth it.

#26 1 year ago

go downtown, check out the assassination tour of jfk

#27 1 year ago
    Quoted from DK:

Wild Pitch!
    See you there!

Is Friday still lingerie party time?

#28 1 year ago
    Quoted from romulusx:

Is Friday still lingerie party time?

Don’t know, but I’ll let you know on Sat!

#29 1 year ago
    Quoted from Emkay79:

If you haven't tried Cattleack BBQ yet, I highly recommend it. Only open thursday, Friday, and the first Saturday of the month, and only for lunch. Be prepared for an absurdly long line, but it's worth it.

Seems like we have a lot in common...I work about a block from Cattleack BBQ...and I went to high school in Paramus!

#30 1 year ago

DO Your own thing. Just go and explore. ignore all suggestions as good as they may be and just get lost there and have your own adventure. Maybe I'll go next year, maybe not, but if I do that's how I'll do it. Don't bring a checklist!

#31 1 year ago
    Quoted from DK:

Don’t know, but I’ll let you know on Sat!

Our waitress

991AD336-0CCF-4610-8BAC-DDF4EC6AA17E (resized).png991AD336-0CCF-4610-8BAC-DDF4EC6AA17E (resized).png
    #32 1 year ago

Hutchins BBQ isn’t too far away and is top notch. The best BBQ joint in the immediate area.

2 weeks later
    #33 1 year ago
    Quoted from dug:

Definitely hit up the meet and greet

Is there a post on that?

#34 1 year ago
    Quoted from BlackTiePinhead:

Just came here to give some advice.... I live 3 miles away from TPF.... this is my home area
    1. Perry's pork chop on Friday lunch---- Do not miss this, or you'll pay triple price at dinner for the same plate (5 min walk across the street from the hotel)
    2. There is a massive mall (Stonebriar) across from the hotel (5 min walk).... They have a massive food court, and any shop you could need to grab a necessity you forgot. There is also a Super Target, Best Buy, and TJ Maxx in the same area
    3. You are within a 5 min drive/shuttle/Uber to about 90 different restaurants. Everything from high end steakhouses, to fast food. If you don't have a car, you can walk to any of the restaurants that ring the mall area. None should be more than a 15 min walk from your room to the front door .........Chilis, Jimmy Johns, Jasons Deli, EG Steak, La Madeleine, Normas Mexican, Platia Greek, Piada Italian Street, Tourchys Tacos, Chef Chen Chinese, Olive Garden, In N Out, IHOP, Wingstop, Red Lobster, Wild Pitch (Hooters knockoff with skimpier outfits)
    4. If you want high end nightlife, hit up Shops at Legacy, expect higher pricing here too (5 min Uber). There are a bunch of patio bars, and little shops to walk around...........Capital Grille, Seasons 52, Mexican Sugar, Flemings, Sambuca 360, Del Friscos, CRU wine bar, Bob's Steak & Chop House
    5. Take a visit to The Star (Dallas Cowboys Headquarters, also just a 5 min Uber away).... There are another 15-20 restaurants in this area as well, all within 2-5 min walk (Best brunch area in Frisco)
    6. While everything is "close by" in terms of Texas perception, you'll still want an Uber/shuttle/car to do most things. You won't be more than a 5 min ride away, but it'll still be across two highways, and 2-3 miles
    7. The National Video Game museum is about a 10-15 min shuttle ride from TPF (they usually have a shuttle, uber is fine too)
    If I can help out, or maybe provide a ride, let me know! I'll be there most of the weekend when I don't retreat to my own house for sanity's sake

Great post! I had to look McKinney Texas up to see how large the population was to be able to service all those restaurants… only 200K people. All of those options in such a small radius is amazing. Must pull from Dallas and surrounding area?

#35 1 year ago
    Quoted from undrdog:

Is there a post on that?

JJ from Games Exchange will post details soon.

#36 1 year ago
    Quoted from tectonyc:

Bring food or plan time to go away and get food. The food at the convention center sucks and is $$$$$$.

I suggest Cowboy Chicken or if you are willing to drive a little further Hard Eight BBQ.

2 weeks later
    #38 1 year ago

Stupid question: Do I need to purchase tickets in advance or at the door?

#39 1 year ago

Disregard I found it. See you all there.

#40 1 year ago
    Quoted from roar:

Great post! I had to look McKinney Texas up to see how large the population was to be able to service all those restaurants… only 200K people. All of those options in such a small radius is amazing. Must pull from Dallas and surrounding area?

The area is very wealthy with average household income $165k and median household income $134k. And right next to it is Plano with North Plano being just as wealthy if not more. It has a large concentration of corporate employers and is a shopping destination in the area. I don’t think it draws a lot of people from Dallas (it’s too far away and unless someone just has to shop at NFM or Ikea, you can find most of the same restaurants etc. closer to Dallas).

#41 1 year ago

Check out Pulp Fiction in the CGC booth.

See God Father in the jjp booth and ask where LTG : ) is.

#42 1 year ago

TPF is extremely well supported by local collectors. All shows have a few troubled games, but TPF has an abundance of beautifully restored EMs, SS and 90s games. Take the time to stop and see the craftsmanship. The owners are there and beaming with happiness as you enjoy their games.

I will personally have my Gottlieb C 37 and Astro there. Restored by people with better skills than me, but proudly presented for enjoyment.

Also, stop by the tournament room. I’m not a tourney player, but there are plenty of nice folks and hard working volunteers there as well.

#43 1 year ago
    Quoted from Nevus:

TPF is extremely well supported by local collectors. All shows have a few troubled games, but TPF has an abundance of beautifully restored EMs, SS and 90s games. Take the time to stop and see the craftsmanship. The owners are there and beaming with happiness as you enjoy their games.
    I will personally have my Gottlieb C 37 and Astro there. Restored by people with better skills than me, but proudly presented for enjoyment.
    Also, stop by the tournament room. I’m not a tourney player, but there are plenty of nice folks and hard working volunteers there as well.

....Cant wait to play another C37 besides mine

#44 1 year ago

Wellllll.... the show is over and I'm in town for another couple days. Any places to play pinball nearby?

#45 1 year ago

There is Arcade92 in McKinney. They have most of the recent Stern machines (including a JamesBond).

#46 1 year ago

Awesome, will check it out. Thanks!

#47 1 year ago
    Quoted from metal-mods:

Wellllll.... the show is over and I'm in town for another couple days. Any places to play pinball nearby?

Dallas Cidercade is another good spot too.

#48 1 year ago

Nice! Will check it out as well!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1st-tpfmust-do-?hl=justjared and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.