(Topic ID: 283898)

1st Pin, Jurassic Park vs Monster Bash vs something used?

By jcripps

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 55 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by DMVPin
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#25 3 years ago

I own both Jurassic park and Monster Bash, and I am married with 3 kids. Here's my advice:

Firstly, try to play as many pins as possible and narrow it down. If it isn't possible to play them, try to watch online videos, read about the rule sets, and look up reviews. It seems like you have already done this a bit, but you seem to have questioned MB also...so I would say make very sure beforehand, since pins aren't cheap.

Second, buy what appeals to you the most...not the kids, wife, or friends. You are the one buying it and will likely be playing it the most, not anyone else. Buying family friendly pinballs is good, just make sure you love it first. Kids and wives lose interest fast.

Lastly, I really don't recommend buying NIB. I suggest getting a HUO game to save money. I find that HUO games from collectors cost far less and are better playing already because they are dialed in. Every pin will need maintenance somewhere down the line, so find a reputable tech in your area. If you have a few tools on hand and a willingness to do small fixes, that doesn't hurt either.

Having said all that, here are my specific recommendations for the two games (and more recent titles):

A JP pro's average price according to pinside is 5200, and a premium is 7200. A classic MB is 7000 and a monster bash remake LE is 7700. If you just need to clip the extras off, the JP pro is far less than the rest, but it seems like that's not a problem since the other options are in the same range. If you get MB, opt for the LE remake. It is the best MB ever made in my opinion (and for the majority of others). Is costs very little more, and it is newer...so the issues will be little to none.

If you opt for the JP, the premium is MUCH nicer, but it costs 2k more than the pro. You have to decide if the toys and art package are worth it. I think they are. Besides, if you are spending the much anyway...you should get what you want.

JP is deeper, but MB will be more kid friendly. Both have great lighting, sounds, themes, and rule sets. Both are family friendly. I don't think you could go wrong with either.

Attack from mars or Willy wonks would be 2 more you could consider with family, newness,
and quality considerations (but I think think both JP and MB are better, however).

No one can give you a definitive answer, but that's my 2 cents.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from jcripps:

Update... I just got back from the showroom. I spent almost 3 hours playing machines. I played Deadpool Pro, Star Wars Pro, Dialed In, Jurassic Park Pro, TMNT Pro, Avengers IQ Pro, JJP Guns and Roses LE and a few older machines as well. While I still like JP Pro, I was really surprised at how much I liked Avengers IQ Pro. I kept coming back to this one.
The Avengers theme really doesn't attract me to the machine, but I really liked how it plays. I don't really understand the rule set yet, but I like that I could shoot most of the ramps, and it is the first machine that I've had much success with the 3rd flipper on. I also liked how the playfield is somewhat open, it seemd to make multi-balls more fun. I also prefer how the plunge goes to the top of the playfield and either drops into the pop bumpers, or on a harder plunge goes all the way around to the left flipper.
So I'm leaning towards the Avengers IQ now, I just want to read up more on it and it's rule set.
But there is another option I'm considering. A used Alice Cooper's Nightmare Castle. I really like the theme of this pin better, and I like the upper playfield. But I only played this a few times about a year ago. I know it has tight shots, so wondering if this would be good for the whole family or not.
So, any thoughts on Avengers IQ vs ACNC now? I'm going to see if I can go an play the ACNC again before I decide.
Thanks,
John

Both are very good games, but AIQ is the easy choice because it is far more family friendly, has easier shots (so newer and younger players will gravitate towards it more), and it will likely be easier to maintain in the future since it is a Stern.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 27.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 29.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
$ 120.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Diddy's Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
€ 70.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

€ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 32.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9,499.00
Pinball Machine
Old Town Pinball

$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Quality Billiards

$ 6,500.00
Pinball Machine
The Pinball Place

$ 35.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 78.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinWorlds

6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Martinsburg, WV
$ 135.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

4,999 (Firm)
6,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Newnan, GA
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
3D Tech. Pinball Parts

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 34.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Daditude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1st-pin-jurassic-park-vs-monster-bash-vs-something-used?tu=Daditude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.