(Topic ID: 228890)

1st pin advice - Houdini or something else?

By Kwoody51

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180719_230734 (resized).jpg
DA2B15CE-58FF-438B-AFA5-9991500E26C8 (resized).jpeg
1F13941D-5B3A-4D02-ADE0-C57A32813FE4 (resized).jpeg
014F324D-1FD2-413E-8E41-BAE25F05965A (resized).jpeg
BFD165EA-E3ED-4DF2-B1EA-9E703FF192A7 (resized).jpeg
GEDC2080.JPG
GEDC2077.JPG
GEDC2073.JPG
Do it.jpg
GEDC2076.JPG
GEDC2072.JPG
EADF1579-A6B3-479E-AD71-9C2C1C9BC66C (resized).jpeg
backbox-tiny (resized).jpg
07FD1FE6-3768-4DA2-A5A5-CFD1D3ABEC30 (resized).jpeg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kwoody51.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I've fallen HARD down the pinball rabbit hole! I have been trolling this site and craigslist like 16/7, meaning pretty much all my waking hours, even at work
I grew up with a Card Whiz and always enjoyed playing pinball when hitting up an arcade as it was the one game that you could earn a free play on... I've always been cheap!

We are now finishing the basement and wife said it would be fun to do a game corner with a pinball machine and cocktail arcade table. Her thinking was put the Card Whiz in the space - I'd prefer something a little newer and more immersive. Leaning toward a newer pin I can play vs worrying about keeping up. I'm very hands on so not opposed to fixing things just want to play vs 'fix'.

Here's my question - any advice on a new pin for someone with 2 young daughters who are 8 and 10 and a wife who doesn't have a great degree of interest?
Budget - ~$6k

Below are some games I've played/ considered but want some insights from those who have done this before. Sorry this is a bit of a dump... but wanted to give you the context

Houdini - Haven't play this but I stumbled across a local seller who has one for $6k and I'm interested as it's a 'deal' with only 200 plays however in reading seems like it's a players pin and might be too much for a novice. I'd intrigued though as seems like I could maybe purchase, play and resell if needed without much if any loss. Talking with LTG he said some of the shots are pretty tough and might be hard for a 1st pin, but could be great once skills are there. I just LOVE a deal though

Deadpool - like the play of this but not sure I'm sold on the theme for my house. Also feel like I want some more 'toys'.

GOTG - like the play of this and like the theme, also really like the movies and soundtrack. Get a little annoyed I can't seem to hit Groot consistently but will likely get better at that. Seems like there are few pro models around $5k however doesn't seem like a very highly ranked pin and thus not sure about long term play.

WOZ - love the look of this but need to play more. The few plays I have on it I seemed to lose the ball down the left outlane super fast. I also thought the audio was a little repetitive/ annoying. Probably a bit out of budget as well, but maybe not in a little bit.

TSPP - like the play of this however I couldn't seem to get multi-ball which I really LOVE. I liked the upper play field but couldn't hit consistently. I've heard rule set on this is super deep which could make for great long term play. Just wasn't feeling this as much as I had hopped however seems like this might be fun for the family. Found some example around $5k which is nice.

MM - LOVE the castle and feel like I can hit the shots on this however wonder about long term play as seem to just hit same shots over and again. Kids seem to like this one though. Seems like it's out of my budget.

AFM - not for me. Same layout as MM but doesn't seem as 'fun'. Like the brightness but the castle in MM wins over AFM for me.

GB - like this one and the toys however don't like some of the ball bouncing that seems to happen when you brick a shot which seems to dump ball to left outlane. For the right price this could fit, I like the theme and the movies

IM - liked the play of this one. Don't know much about IM theme but could be interesting. Not sure if pro model is a good value or need to get the premium which could push out of price.

JP - haven't played this one but found one for $3.5 which is nice as it's less than budget...

FT - haven't played this one but seemed to be well liked. I'm also in MN which is fishing country and near a big lake so seems like it would tie in nice. Found one semi local for ~$3.5 so well within budget.

MET - seems to be well regarded and there is a local one for less than $5k. Like IM I'm sure if the heavy metal theme is for me/ family.

MB - haven't played this but looks interesting and like the remake. Seems out of budget though.

Hobbit - not for me

LOTR - not for me

GOT - not for me

TWD - not for me/ my family

Older, but well regarded games

TAF - I thought this was THE machine for me based on my memories. Playing it I realized I like others much more.

TZ - like this one but need to play more. A single owner HOU popped up on CL for $6.5 this last weekend and I should have pulled the trigger but I wanted to play this more. Seems like it could be a little too much for family and friends.

Funhouse - interesting but main playfield seems cramped. Like the newer DMD games more.

IJ - I thought I found one of these and had cash in hand ready to buy within my budget but seller had to ask family if they'd be ok with sale AFTER I was there with cash. You likely already know how this played out....

So there you have it... if you made it to the end of my post I'd appreciate your thoughts! I didn't do a poll as I want to hear if there are other options I'm not considering.

#19 5 years ago

I stopped in a few Sunday’s back and played your great collection!!!

I was the guy asking you your thoughts on Houdini.

Quoted from LTG:

Try and play what ever you are thinking of. You are the one that has to live with it.
Any questions ? I own SS Billiards in Hopkins, stop in and I'll try and help you if you need it.
LTG : )

#30 5 years ago

You guys are great, thanks for all the input/ advice!

I should also say that for those that have gone before me you already see through me.... I fully understand that the 1st pin is a multiplier which turns into more pins! I would LOVE a collection of 5+ pins but I could see 2 maybe 3 pins tops. This won't happen though if I don't find the 'right' pin to help prove the point to my wife that kids like it as will guest. My wife will quickly say YOU don't need more than one pinball machine.... but if it's for the kids, maybe

Some comments on games mentioned

Dialed in - love this theme as I'm on my phone ALL the time. Have played a little bit and like the game but want to play more to get a better feel for it. If you know where I can get one anywhere close to my budget PM as I would buy today!

WCS94 - local pin shop has one listed for sale and have reached out to find out the price

GOT - I agree with you on on the flow/ shots - that theme just isn't going to fly in my house, sorry...

MM - seems like these are still close to $7k, again if you know something I don't on price please let me know

MB - are you really going to be able to get one for close to $6k? Reading another thread seems it will be closer to $7k when you factor in tax, shipping and color DMD (which some say is a requirement).

I'm 100% good with picking up something now and getting something else in the future I just worry about resale as in I don't want to 'lose' money on the deal... hence why I keep coming back to Houdini as it seems like such a good 'deal' but if I/ my guest hate it and I have to resell it in 2-3 months probably not worth the hassle.

Keep it coming and thanks for welcoming me to the club/ support group

#33 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Bring the whole family to an arcade that has a lot of the titles you have listed and see what they gravitate towards.
Pick the one your wife loves and watch the budget increase!

Oldest daughter seemed to like Gotg and MM, youngest one LOVED cactus canyon, which I like as well. Didn’t realize this was a collector and is $10k+.

If you all know where I can find dialed in for a song let me know. All options I’ve seen seem to be $8k.

I’ve seen Woz for around $6500 which is a stretch but could probably work.

My wife thinks a $1k cocktail arcade table is a ‘better’ idea than a pin so she’s already on that side... I said we can just do both

#40 5 years ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

Guys, are you missing this comment? WOZ, DI, Pirates are out, remakes are probably out too.
Woody, It's your first machine, I suggest you don't blow your entire budget. Especially if you are worried about losing money and your wife appears to be a little iffy on it.
Look around for a well priced used machine with a decent theme that you like playing. THen you can decide if you are a pinball guy or not, with little risk of loosing money if you sell it.
It is unlikely your kids will play a lot, so I wouldn't worry too much about it being a 'family' game.
It doesn't need to be a knock-out theme out of the gate. If you get more involved in pinball, then you will work your way into the big titles. Focusing on a home run machine as your only game can lead to disappointment.

Thanks for seeing the budget comment- I’d LOVE many of the pins mentioned I just don’t think I, or my wife, would allow $7-8k for a 1st pin.

What are all your thoughts on resale on a Gotg pro for $4900?

Seems this game got a bad rep at release for poor code. I like the theme. Game play seems fun, although I maybe only have 20 plays on premium on location.

Seems like a decent deal for a ‘new’ pin. Given early 90’s titles, even B list titles are selling for $3.5-4K seems like this should hold its value for a few years.

#55 5 years ago

You all are really dragging down my work productive today!

What about a home use only, single owner POTC for $5k?

Seems like it’s a solid pin, a little higher ranked than GOTG and value seems stable.

Guy said he bought it new, never left his house and only his kids played it and it’s ‘perfect’. It’s not local but within 4.5 hours drive so not terrible.

Seems like something we could play and resell without much of any loss.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#68 5 years ago

Thanks again for all the insights!

Been texting with a guy this afternoon about POTC so leaning that direction. Need to stop into jtg shop and play it a little more before I send a deposit.

POTC and cocktail cabinet keeps me in budget with some to spare!

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Yeah, but potc seems way to common and they all want $5k. These days it should be a $4k pin

What do folks think is a fair price for a POTC pin?

Seems everything I see is at the high side, if not above the range listed here.

I’d really like to get in on the low side so if I don’t like it I can get out without much, if any loss.

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What if it was 4K?

One can only hope

I like TSPP but if I can get POTC at a $500-$1k discount I’ll take the extra and put toward cocktail arcade table.

Having said the above I just put a deposit on a nice HUO POTC which I’m planning on picking up 11/16.

Played a few games at LTG shop and think it will work to start the addiction. I know it’s not ‘perfect’ but nothing in life is... sinking the ship was just plain fun!!! I also like that it’s a little slower play which will be good for kids and guest. Nothing makes you want to stop playing to drain after drain!

#89 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

POTC is a great family game-Do it!
We love our POTC, it is completely modded out.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Aside from visual mods like topper or additional toys what have you done and are there any ‘must’ do mods I should consider?

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Color DMD is a must imo.
Also airball deflector mod is great and you can ditch the sneeze guard ship protection.
I don’t like to junk it up with too many dolls and doo dads but some like to over mod it, Potc is a moders dream, however I think less is more. I don’t have anything except some LEDs and stand up target stickers color DMD and airball mod.
Check out the owners thread for more info.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/40

Airball mod is exactly the kind of mod I was thinking of... that sneeze guard is crazy!

Any Cliffy’s or other Playfield protection I need to do?

I only plan to mod to protect/ improve gameplay. Don’t think i’ll Worry about toys or do dads

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

First Pin. I would not deal with getting any mods. No one regrets not putting mods on a game they own or owned.
Just play, enjoy and see if you like pinball in the first place.
Edit - $15 air ball mod is good.

Alrball mod is ordered!

Not spending $400 on a color dmd at this point.

Will get it and play it. If we love it after a year or more I’ll look at some cosmetic mods. At this point just want to know what I need to do to keep it mint/ improve gameplay.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#113 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You played mine with audio from the movies, not the stock audio. You might search Pinside to see if that link is still active if you want it in your game.
LTG : )

I wondered about the audio on yours

I did find the thread with Dropbox file for different audio. Might have to stop in again and play some other games and have you give me a 101 on how to update the audio!

As for camping at LTG place.. I can’t tell you how many times in the last few weeks since discovering it i’ve wanted to just slip away from work early and sneak in a few games before heading home!!!

#114 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

My wife loves our MET Pro. I'm struggling to find another pin to buy because I want her to like it as much as MET. So far everything else we've purchased and sold ended up not passing the "MET" test of daily play with my wife and myself.

Does your wife like the band/ music outside of pinball?

Curious if this is part of her liking of the game or if it’s purely game play.

Feel like my wife, who likely couldn’t name a Met song, wouldn’t allow that pin in the house soley based on the theme.

1 week later
#117 5 years ago

Got it home and plugged in!

Kids and a friend are having some fun! Thanks for the recommendation, kids, and I, really enjoy sinking the ship!

Will have to live in the garage for a few weeks until basement gets finished.

BFD165EA-E3ED-4DF2-B1EA-9E703FF192A7 (resized).jpegBFD165EA-E3ED-4DF2-B1EA-9E703FF192A7 (resized).jpeg

#125 5 years ago

Just posted my best score and best score on the machine!!!

I had 3 balls at one point and was just working to keep them all alive

Also installed the airball mod- so nice to see the ship clearly now!

1F13941D-5B3A-4D02-ADE0-C57A32813FE4 (resized).jpeg1F13941D-5B3A-4D02-ADE0-C57A32813FE4 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#127 5 years ago

So close...

Dang heart super jackpot!

DA2B15CE-58FF-438B-AFA5-9991500E26C8 (resized).jpegDA2B15CE-58FF-438B-AFA5-9991500E26C8 (resized).jpeg
#130 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Now you can start looking for your second pin

Don’t you worry, I’m looking...

Wife savys cocktail arcade table 1st.

Told her we need another pinball machine before we host the next family holiday party, will be more fun for everyone as people won’t have to wait to play!!

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Check out the Des Moines craigslist, typically has some good stuff with great prices. If you really don't mind a drive I've found great deals in Omaha as well. There is currently a Star Trek Pro for $4200, excellent game and I'd own it again if I didn't just buy an IMDN.

Will keep an eye out! Grew up in IA and have relatives in Omaha so not opposed to a trip with a reason for a visit. I also know I can haul a pin in our expedition and keep the 2nd row seats up so family can come with

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.50
$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bay Area, CA
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Ontario, CA
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 218.00
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 12.95
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

6,899 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sioux Falls, SD
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 103.00

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Kwoody51.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1st-pin-advice-houdini-or-something-else?tu=Kwoody51 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.