(Topic ID: 228890)

1st pin advice - Houdini or something else?

By Kwoody51

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180719_230734 (resized).jpg
DA2B15CE-58FF-438B-AFA5-9991500E26C8 (resized).jpeg
1F13941D-5B3A-4D02-ADE0-C57A32813FE4 (resized).jpeg
014F324D-1FD2-413E-8E41-BAE25F05965A (resized).jpeg
BFD165EA-E3ED-4DF2-B1EA-9E703FF192A7 (resized).jpeg
GEDC2080.JPG
GEDC2077.JPG
GEDC2073.JPG
Do it.jpg
GEDC2076.JPG
GEDC2072.JPG
EADF1579-A6B3-479E-AD71-9C2C1C9BC66C (resized).jpeg
backbox-tiny (resized).jpg
07FD1FE6-3768-4DA2-A5A5-CFD1D3ABEC30 (resized).jpeg
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.
#101 5 years ago

Great insights here...many thanks from a big pinball fan and lurker looking to buy that first pin!

#102 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

mods I should consider?

You played mine with audio from the movies, not the stock audio. You might search Pinside to see if that link is still active if you want it in your game.

LTG : )

#103 5 years ago

dont get any mods. the toy potc mods with cannons on lane guides etc, if balls jump up they will get stuck. keep the game stock. mods don't help game play. they create issues when fixing, lifting playfields, etc. Maybe a color dmd. nothing else is needed.

#104 5 years ago

Color dmd is a no brained since can be switched to other games or sold easily on pinside.

Getting the movie audio like LTG’s sounds awesome too.

#105 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

I stopped in a few Sunday’s back and played your great collection!!!
I was the guy asking you your thoughts on Houdini.

If you live near Lloyd’s place, why settle for just one pin!? Give him your 6k for a sleeping bag and a space on his floor

#106 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

Aside from visual mods like topper or additional toys what have you done and are there any ‘must’ do mods I should consider?

POTC really does not need many mods, the only mods that make a big difference are LED's and maybe a shaker motor. I also am not big on the $400 color dmd. To me $400 is a considerable amount of money to spend on a mod. I do not pay much attention to the dmd when I am playing, and honestly I would rather save the $400 and put it towards purchasing additional games for my collection.

I left my POTC ship protector(sneeze guard) in from factory. It does not bother me one bit, people come over and say 'you have to get rid of that sneeze guard', and I say why? You can remove it and then purchase a smaller air ball protector-or just leave it alone and play the game. You can also add figurines and hand paint your chest for more detail. POTC is a very solid game, I would not worry about adding mods or doing anything to it, just plug and play-and enjoy.

GEDC2073.JPGGEDC2073.JPGGEDC2077.JPGGEDC2077.JPGGEDC2080.JPGGEDC2080.JPG
#107 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Question for you two. If you had to sell off your entire collection but could keep one of your pins For two years and it be the only Pin you could own, and it had to be one that was less than $6000, What would it be? Would it be pirates?

Man that is a tough question. My pins are like my children, having to choose just one is hard. Honestly owning just one pin would be torture, I would probably switch out every three months or so in order not to lose my sanity.

Under $6000-damn Star Wars LE is out, but my X-MEN Magneto LE would be in, so I would say Magneto. I say X-MEN because I love it, but OP is looking for 'family friendly'. I suppose X-MEN could be considered as a family theme as well, but POTC and TSSP stand out to me as better 'family titles'. My second choice for only one game is STTNG-I have played thousands of times and still cannot get enough.

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

Bring the whole family to an arcade that has a lot of the titles you have listed and see what they gravitate towards.
Pick the one your wife loves and watch the budget increase!

Great idea! I almost bought a WOZ, because my wife said it looked nice,when I showed her a video of the game.I ended up getting a Dialed In because it was available for me to try,at a local arcade. I liked it,and that's what I bought for my first pin.
After two weeks of ownership, my wife says"Pinballs not my thing".And she hasn't played since. My point is,get something you like. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have enjoyed a WOZ for my first machine,but I'm glad I picked something that I knew I liked to play.
P.S
My local arcade has their games setup for free play. They have something like 80 games,and after playing there for awhile,I found a ton of games I'd be happy owning.So get out there and play as many games as you can,before pulling the trigger.

#109 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

After two weeks of ownership, my wife says"Pinballs not my thing".And she hasn't played since.

My Wife primarily only plays WOZ, she dabbles on a lot of games and pre-WOZ said the exact same thing, "pinball is not her thing".
Now she is very into pinball (plays a few games on WOZ daily), and loves Farfalla.

She also loves IJ, another widebody, and plays it daily.

Everyone has a game they love, sometimes they just haven't found it yet.

So, if your wife identified with WOZ, get one and I think she will love "Her game".

Pinballgoddess current hi-score on WOZ is over 5 million.

Women that I have talked to about pinball, have a very different view compare to the men.
Often they like similar games, but for very different reasons.

#110 5 years ago

Woz is so fantastic, I have DI LE as well they’re both phenomenal. I hate spending so much but they’re worth the money to me.

#111 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphs007:

Great idea! I almost bought a WOZ, because my wife said it looked nice,when I showed her a video of the game.I ended up getting a Dialed In because it was available for me to try,at a local arcade. I liked it,and that's what I bought for my first pin.
After two weeks of ownership, my wife says"Pinballs not my thing".And she hasn't played since. My point is,get something you like. I'm not saying that I wouldn't have enjoyed a WOZ for my first machine,but I'm glad I picked something that I knew I liked playing.
P.S
My local arcade has their games setup for free play. They have something like 80 games,and after playing there for awhile,I found a ton of games I'd be happy owning.So get out there and play as many games as you can,before pulling the trigger.

My wife loves our MET Pro. I'm struggling to find another pin to buy because I want her to like it as much as MET. So far everything else we've purchased and sold ended up not passing the "MET" test of daily play with my wife and myself.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#112 5 years ago
Quoted from pcprogrammer:

My wife loves our MET Pro. I'm struggling to find another pin to buy because I want her to like it as much as MET. So far everything else we've purchased and sold ended up not passing the "MET" test of daily play with my wife and myself.

While a small collection might not want to have too many similar pins but I have IM and think it's a lot of the good stuff of Met pro. It's different enough for me, and I think Tron as well have some of that Borg/Lyman magic

#113 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You played mine with audio from the movies, not the stock audio. You might search Pinside to see if that link is still active if you want it in your game.

I wondered about the audio on yours

I did find the thread with Dropbox file for different audio. Might have to stop in again and play some other games and have you give me a 101 on how to update the audio!

As for camping at LTG place.. I can’t tell you how many times in the last few weeks since discovering it i’ve wanted to just slip away from work early and sneak in a few games before heading home!!!

#114 5 years ago

Does your wife like the band/ music outside of pinball?

Curious if this is part of her liking of the game or if it’s purely game play.

Feel like my wife, who likely couldn’t name a Met song, wouldn’t allow that pin in the house soley based on the theme.

#115 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

Does your wife like the band/ music outside of pinball?
Curious if this is part of her liking of the game or if it’s purely game play.
Feel like my wife, who likely couldn’t name a Met song, wouldn’t allow that pin in the house soley based on the theme.

It's everything, theme, music, gameplay. It all comes together perfectly. AC/DC music we like just as much but I'm afraid the playfield layout would get boring, not sure if I should get that one.

#116 5 years ago

It's everything, theme, music, gameplay. It all comes together perfectly. AC/DC music we like just as much but I'm afraid the playfield layout would get boring, not sure if I should get that one.

AcDc is nice as well the premium with the lower PF is definitely worth the extra cabbage.

I’m down with Stern pins (have owned 12 at least). But JJP is a step above. I’d see if you can get a DI or Woz later.

AFM is one of a small handful of pins I world consider perfect (without super complicated rules).

1 week later
#117 5 years ago

Got it home and plugged in!

Kids and a friend are having some fun! Thanks for the recommendation, kids, and I, really enjoy sinking the ship!

Will have to live in the garage for a few weeks until basement gets finished.

BFD165EA-E3ED-4DF2-B1EA-9E703FF192A7 (resized).jpegBFD165EA-E3ED-4DF2-B1EA-9E703FF192A7 (resized).jpeg

#118 5 years ago

Congrats! Great first pin choice.

#119 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

Got it home and plugged in!

Kids and a friend are having some fun!

Excellent ! Glad you had a safe trip and your kids are having fun !

#120 5 years ago

Congrats you chose wisely. A great deal has no value if the you and the family don't enjoy it. POTC will do well for you and in short order get you to your next pin and so on, and so on, and.......

#121 5 years ago

Had my two new neighbors over had not played pinball in ‘30 years’. They loved sinking the ship. It’s also easy to explain the rules to people who aren’t pinball people.

#122 5 years ago

When I play our PoTC with my 5yo granddaughter... She sings "Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates life for me". I chuckle every time !

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#123 5 years ago

Congrats on the first pin!! They’ll have a blast.

Quoted from Kerry_Richard:

When I play our PoTC with my 5yo granddaughter... She sings "Yo Ho Yo Ho a Pirates life for me". I chuckle every time !

My 5 year old prefers BF, but she loves it. Here she is while I was working on BSD last week...makes me get her a chair so she can settle in.

014F324D-1FD2-413E-8E41-BAE25F05965A (resized).jpeg014F324D-1FD2-413E-8E41-BAE25F05965A (resized).jpeg
#124 5 years ago

Congrats on your POTC. I’ve added and traded about 17 pins since getting into collecting in 2016. I just finally added a minty POTC and I’m so glad I did. It’s beautiful, challenging (I like that completing the compass is a realistic goal), and I finally beat Davy Jones a couple nights ago. Great, durable, fun pin for everyone to enjoy. Anyone can sink a ship and enjoy this game. Solid first pin!

#125 5 years ago

Just posted my best score and best score on the machine!!!

I had 3 balls at one point and was just working to keep them all alive

Also installed the airball mod- so nice to see the ship clearly now!

1F13941D-5B3A-4D02-ADE0-C57A32813FE4 (resized).jpeg1F13941D-5B3A-4D02-ADE0-C57A32813FE4 (resized).jpeg

#126 5 years ago

congrats on your pickup, I think you made a good choice.

1 week later
#127 5 years ago

So close...

Dang heart super jackpot!

DA2B15CE-58FF-438B-AFA5-9991500E26C8 (resized).jpegDA2B15CE-58FF-438B-AFA5-9991500E26C8 (resized).jpeg
#128 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

So close...
[quoted image]

been there don't that.

#129 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

So close...

Now you can start looking for your second pin

#130 5 years ago
Quoted from Colsond3:

Now you can start looking for your second pin

Don’t you worry, I’m looking...

Wife savys cocktail arcade table 1st.

Told her we need another pinball machine before we host the next family holiday party, will be more fun for everyone as people won’t have to wait to play!!

#131 5 years ago

Check out the Des Moines craigslist, typically has some good stuff with great prices. If you really don't mind a drive I've found great deals in Omaha as well. There is currently a Star Trek Pro for $4200, excellent game and I'd own it again if I didn't just buy an IMDN.

#132 5 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

Check out the Des Moines craigslist, typically has some good stuff with great prices. If you really don't mind a drive I've found great deals in Omaha as well. There is currently a Star Trek Pro for $4200, excellent game and I'd own it again if I didn't just buy an IMDN.

Will keep an eye out! Grew up in IA and have relatives in Omaha so not opposed to a trip with a reason for a visit. I also know I can haul a pin in our expedition and keep the 2nd row seats up so family can come with

#133 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

Don’t you worry, I’m looking...
Wife savys cocktail arcade table 1st.
Told her we need another pinball machine before we host the next family holiday party, will be more fun for everyone as people won’t have to wait to play!!

Dont get greedy. Cater to her needs so when you want the 2nd game, she will remember you bought the cocktail game first and you'll get a better blessing.

Trust me on this.

https://images.pinside.com/c/4d/c4d0d22397f13d96d8c64e8a41929dd8894e92a4/resized/large/c4d0d22397f13d96d8c64e8a41929dd8894e92a4.jpg

20180719_230734 (resized).jpg20180719_230734 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 89.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.99
Cabinet - Decals
Bent Mods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Wilmington, DE
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 7,995.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 33.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 21.50
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1st-pin-advice-houdini-or-something-else/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.