(Topic ID: 228890)

1st pin advice - Houdini or something else?

By Kwoody51

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 65 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20180719_230734 (resized).jpg
DA2B15CE-58FF-438B-AFA5-9991500E26C8 (resized).jpeg
1F13941D-5B3A-4D02-ADE0-C57A32813FE4 (resized).jpeg
014F324D-1FD2-413E-8E41-BAE25F05965A (resized).jpeg
BFD165EA-E3ED-4DF2-B1EA-9E703FF192A7 (resized).jpeg
GEDC2080.JPG
GEDC2077.JPG
GEDC2073.JPG
Do it.jpg
GEDC2076.JPG
GEDC2072.JPG
EADF1579-A6B3-479E-AD71-9C2C1C9BC66C (resized).jpeg
backbox-tiny (resized).jpg
07FD1FE6-3768-4DA2-A5A5-CFD1D3ABEC30 (resized).jpeg

There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

Thanks for seeing the budget comment- I’d LOVE many of the pins mentioned I just don’t think I, or my wife, would allow $7-8k for a 1st pin.
What are all your thoughts on resale on a Gotg pro for $4900?
Seems this game got a bad rep at release for poor code. I like the theme. Game play seems fun, although I maybe only have 20 plays on premium on location.
Seems like a decent deal for a ‘new’ pin. Given early 90’s titles, even B list titles are selling for $3.5-4K seems like this should hold its value for a few years.

Guardians isn’t my cup of tea, but it really would be a great first family pin. At that price, it would also put your mind at ease being under budget. Future resale value is a complete unknown, but you’re already saving $600~ or so by not going the NIB route. I think it’s a good solid ‘safe’ choice.

Is this guardians home use or has it been routed?

#52 5 years ago

I know you didn't ask this question but since your not afraid of turning a screwdriver you might consider 2 nice $3000 games instead of 1 $6000 game. There are a bunch of $3000 games with excellent game play and you will have at least 2 game variety.

#54 5 years ago

I think given your situation that MBr classic is your best bet. MMr would also be an awesome choice but you are unlikely to find one in your budget. The MBr classic at $6k (plus 200-300 shipping) is a really good value in my opinion. You can add the color down the road. CGC makes a very nice product that will have a warranty.

#55 5 years ago

You all are really dragging down my work productive today!

What about a home use only, single owner POTC for $5k?

Seems like it’s a solid pin, a little higher ranked than GOTG and value seems stable.

Guy said he bought it new, never left his house and only his kids played it and it’s ‘perfect’. It’s not local but within 4.5 hours drive so not terrible.

Seems like something we could play and resell without much of any loss.

#56 5 years ago

POTC is definitely good. I’d see if you could get it for under 5 though. You could get mid 4s for it pretty easy but 5k plus might be harder.

#57 5 years ago

Rethinking this, I'd recommend tspp for around $5k and use rest of budget for the cocktail table your wife wants. Tspp was a favorite in our house and is deep enough to last.

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

Great game...and one your daughters would probably like a lot. Game play is fantastic. Kid-friendly art package. If it's truly HUO, big bonus for lack of wear and tear. I'd mirror Chuck's post and see if you can snag it for under $5k though.

#59 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Try and play what ever you are thinking of. You are the one that has to live with it.
Any questions ? I own SS Billiards in Hopkins, stop in and I'll try and help you if you need it.
LTG : )

LTG for pinball president! Take his advice and go to his place. He’s forgotten more about pinball then most of us will learn. Also a great ambassador for the hobby!

My only advice. It will unlikely be your only game. Spend below your budget and don’t overpay.

#60 5 years ago

I agree with a lot of the folks on here that having 2 pins is better than one. It happened a couple of times when we had people over, our first pin had something break, and then I needed to order a part to get it back up again. Having two pins gives you backup and variety.

Budget wise, if I was looking for family friendly pins, I’d go for a used Gotg pro, SM, or even RCT for the newer pin.
For the older pin, I’d look for a 90’s Wms/Bally such as WCS94, Flintstones, or FT.

That being said, finding decent reasonably priced Wms/Bally’s in the twin cities can be a challenge, especially on Craigslist!

Most pins (Pros and older Wms/Bally’s) seem to be holding most of their value these days when it comes to resale. Don’t worry about losing a couple of hundred dollars when it comes to sell. You bought these for you and your family’s enjoyment right? If you break even or make money on the sale then that’s just frosting on top of the frosting!

If you are going for just a single pin, then I would definitely concentrate on Dialed In, Woz, or the new JJpotc. Lots of things to do on those games. I’d sell you my Woz, but the wife says it’s never leaving the house....

#61 5 years ago

I'd say POTC is easier to play than TSPP. I own them both and they are both fantastic machines (gameplay, toys etc.). You can't go wrong with any of them.
For resell, I think TSPP would be better?

#62 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

I stopped in a few Sunday’s back and played your great collection!!!

I was the guy asking you your thoughts on Houdini.

I can't believe anybody would listen to me.

Quoted from ezeltmann:

Bring the whole family to an arcade that has a lot of the titles you have listed and see what they gravitate towards.

Bring your family in. Any game I have in my line up that you are considering to add to your collection, I'll give you some games on it to help your family decide.

LTG : )

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

You all are really dragging down my work productive today!
Seems like it’s a solid pin, a little higher ranked than GOTG and value seems stable.
Guy said he bought it new, never left his house and only his kids played it and it’s ‘perfect’. It’s not local but within 4.5 hours drive so not terrible.
Seems like something we could play and resell without much of any loss.

Guardians is a way better choice than stern potc. Pirates is fun for a couple weeks, but it has so many flaws it becomes irritating and not a great 1-pin lineup game. Guardians is more fun for multiplayer too versus stern potc.

#64 5 years ago

You might want to look at some system 11 games. They usually make great first pins and you'll have enough money left to get a second one eventually.

#65 5 years ago

Something else.

POTC-Stern
Shrek
GOTG Pro
AFM Classic
MB-Classic
T2 or T3
TOM*
WH2O
DI*
*Might be out of budget but may be worth it to draw young players into.

Just forget about GB. Too frustrating unless its more for you and not the younger crowd.
TSPP would be a keeper too now that I thought of it.
When my son was 7-8 he played my machines but now that he is ten it seems less and less.
Maybe just a phase with the video game thing I guess. He still likes MB though!
Unfortunately for me in my basement the "one" game corner turned in to quite a few.

Done.

#66 5 years ago

Fargo Pinball has a Potc for sale now on the floor. $4800. I know of an RS that might be for sale as well.

07FD1FE6-3768-4DA2-A5A5-CFD1D3ABEC30 (resized).jpeg07FD1FE6-3768-4DA2-A5A5-CFD1D3ABEC30 (resized).jpeg
#67 5 years ago

I had multiple great pinball machines at home and a Daytona USA 2 Twin. Guests and family would play a little pinball and then they would all fight over the Daytona challenging each other the rest of the night...

Buy what you want, and I second others, buy the cocktail or some kind of vid to go along with the pinballs.

If going DMD then choose CGC, if not grab a Stern pro with an LCD. JJP is going to be outside your budget.

If you think Houdini is a great first game choice, then you simply have not played it enough, because it’s not.

#68 5 years ago

Thanks again for all the insights!

Been texting with a guy this afternoon about POTC so leaning that direction. Need to stop into jtg shop and play it a little more before I send a deposit.

POTC and cocktail cabinet keeps me in budget with some to spare!

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

Thanks again for all the insights!
Been texting with a guy this afternoon about POTC so leaning that direction. Need to stop into jtg shop and play it a little more before I send a deposit.
POTC and cocktail cabinet keeps me in budget with some to spare!

Take pictures when you finally make it happen. Good luck!

#70 5 years ago

POTC is fun and you enjoy it but I will say again, don’t get too wrapped up in the rankings. Some pins are very poliarizing and highly ranked, like Ghostbusters. I don’t like it all but it’s ranked very high. You have to play a pin and decide if it’s for you.

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

POTC is fun and you enjoy it but I will say again, don’t get too wrapped up in the rankings. Some pins are very poliarizing and highly ranked, like Ghostbusters. I don’t like it all but it’s ranked very high. You have to play a pin and decide if it’s for you.

Agreed. And also play one to the degree where you get the mechanics and scoring systems. That's the beauty of these games, many times I've scratched my head and not had one click, but with a few hours of play, things might feel differently. I just played POTC before PAPA closed it's doors a couple weekends back, and it didn't strike me in ways I found memorable, but maybe with another hour or two of play, it would. I'm still trying that approach with Dialed In, I just can't get flow going in that game sadly.

#72 5 years ago

POTC is a solid first pin for family and yourself.

Not sure who is selling that one in the Pic, but perhaps you can work them on price and/or tax if you pay with cash? Maybe delivery could be involved. Work them a little on the $4800. But all in all not a bad price on POTC local.

#73 5 years ago

POTC gets flak for being too easy and not deep but that could work well for a family setting.

The sinking ship is also one of the coolest toys on any game ever.

#74 5 years ago
Quoted from BlueIrocGuy:

Fargo Pinball has a Potc for sale now on the floor. $4800. I know of an RS that might be for sale as well.
[quoted image]

Yeah, but potc seems way to common and they all want $5k. These days it should be a $4k pin

#75 5 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

Yeah, but potc seems way to common and they all want $5k. These days it should be a $4k pin

What do folks think is a fair price for a POTC pin?

Seems everything I see is at the high side, if not above the range listed here.

I’d really like to get in on the low side so if I don’t like it I can get out without much, if any loss.

#76 5 years ago

Space Shuttle. Love that sound and center shot. Cheap and workable all day.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

I sold my HUO POTC (I was original owner) last year for $4500. Game was stock.

#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

I’d really like to get in on the low side so if I don’t like it I can get out without much, if any loss.

Depends on condition and mods (especially color dmd) but sld b 5k or under even with upgrades imo. That wld b a nice first pin and u sld get most if not all you money back when its time to move on..... as long as you buy smart.

#79 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

At $4800~ it’s overpriced. Think of all the other games that are much better than POTC at that price range:

GOTG
SW
TSPP
SM
X-MEN
LOTR
Heck, I’d even take transformers or avengers before potc.

POTC has some really fun multiball stacks, but that’s about it. It has one shot in the game that cleanly returns the ball to the flippers; otherwise, it’s a shoot and watch for 5-10 seconds+ And see what happens. This will get old in a 1-pin lineup. Truth be told, any pin you get you will love as your first pin, but I implore you to really reconsider a newer stern pro or one that has been mentioned for the same price point or even 2 sub $3k pins over a stern POTC; unless you can get that POTC for <$4k so you can easily resale it in a few weeks when you get bored of it.

SKB out.

#80 5 years ago

We have an open show Houdini with art blades at a discounted price - we used it at the York show in Oct for 2 days and wrapped it back up - perfect in every way - cosmetically and mechanically. Great price, great game. We can ship nationwide. Email Joe at [email protected] if you think Houdini is the way to go...

#81 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

POTC gets flak for being too easy and not deep but that could work well for a family setting.
The sinking ship is also one of the coolest toys on any game ever.

PotC is a balance of easy and hard objectives. I mean it's hard to sink Davey Jones and just get to 4 winds and the wizard mode is quite extensive if you manage to get there.

Jack the money shot is one of the coolest ramp shots, ship, spinner, treasure chest are three nice toys. I've owned PotC longer than any pin ever and still have yet to beat it.

#82 5 years ago

Was mentioned but Tspp is also a fantastic pin with a heck of a lot to do.

#83 5 years ago

TSPP. Best game ever.

#84 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

At $4800~ it’s overpriced.

What if it was 4K?

#85 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

What if it was 4K?

One can only hope

I like TSPP but if I can get POTC at a $500-$1k discount I’ll take the extra and put toward cocktail arcade table.

Having said the above I just put a deposit on a nice HUO POTC which I’m planning on picking up 11/16.

Played a few games at LTG shop and think it will work to start the addiction. I know it’s not ‘perfect’ but nothing in life is... sinking the ship was just plain fun!!! I also like that it’s a little slower play which will be good for kids and guest. Nothing makes you want to stop playing to drain after drain!

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

One can only hope
I like TSPP but if I can get POTC at a $500-$1k discount I’ll take the extra and put toward cocktail arcade table.
Having said the above I just put a deposit on a nice HUO POTC which I’m planning on picking up 11/16.
Played a few games at ltg shop and think it will work to start the addiction. I know it’s not ‘perfect’ but nothing in life is... sinking the ship was just plain fun!!! I also like that it’s a little slower play which will be good for kids and guest. Nothing makes you want to stop playing to drain after drain!

The best topper for Stern PotC (and actually, probably jjPotC) is the skull, and it's cheap often on ebay:
https://tinyurl.com/y7jsoe7o

Looks like this installed:

backbox-tiny (resized).jpgbackbox-tiny (resized).jpg
#87 5 years ago

I found PotC was well liked by casual pinball players old and young. It’s easy to explain the rules and you can follow the ball better than some of the brutal games like TWD.

EADF1579-A6B3-479E-AD71-9C2C1C9BC66C (resized).jpegEADF1579-A6B3-479E-AD71-9C2C1C9BC66C (resized).jpeg

#88 5 years ago

POTC is a great family game-Do it!

We love our POTC, it is completely modded out.

Do it.jpgDo it.jpgGEDC2072.JPGGEDC2072.JPGGEDC2076.JPGGEDC2076.JPG
#89 5 years ago
Quoted from pinmister:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Aside from visual mods like topper or additional toys what have you done and are there any ‘must’ do mods I should consider?

#90 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

Aside from visual mods like topper or additional toys what have you done and are there any ‘must’ do mods I should consider?

It's your first pin. Don't worry about spending time or money on mods right now.

#91 5 years ago

Color DMD is a must imo.

Also airball deflector mod is great and you can ditch the sneeze guard ship protection.

I don’t like to junk it up with too many dolls and doo dads but some like to over mod it, Potc is a moders dream, however I think less is more. I don’t have anything except some LEDs and stand up target stickers color DMD and airball mod.
Check out the owners thread for more info.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/40

#92 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

there any ‘must’ do mods I should consider?

This game lends itself to WARM white LEDs almost everywhere (the playfield is a map). Resist the urge to use purple, green and blue LEDs.

#93 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I found PotC was well liked by casual pinball players old and young. It’s easy to explain the rules and you can follow the ball better than some of the brutal games like TWD.
[quoted image]

Quoted from pinmister:

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Question for you two. If you had to sell off your entire collection but could keep one of your pins For two years and it be the only Pin you could own, and it had to be one that was less than $6000, What would it be? Would it be pirates?

#94 5 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Color DMD is a must imo.
Also airball deflector mod is great and you can ditch the sneeze guard ship protection.
I don’t like to junk it up with too many dolls and doo dads but some like to over mod it, Potc is a moders dream, however I think less is more. I don’t have anything except some LEDs and stand up target stickers color DMD and airball mod.
Check out the owners thread for more info.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dead-men-tell-no-talespotc-owners-club/page/40

Airball mod is exactly the kind of mod I was thinking of... that sneeze guard is crazy!

Any Cliffy’s or other Playfield protection I need to do?

I only plan to mod to protect/ improve gameplay. Don’t think i’ll Worry about toys or do dads

#95 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

First Pin. I would not deal with getting any mods. No one regrets not putting mods on a game they own or owned.

Just play, enjoy and see if you like pinball in the first place.

Edit - $15 air ball mod is good.

#96 5 years ago

AFMr or MMr would be excellent choices for a first pin.

#97 5 years ago
Quoted from pinnyheadhead:

First Pin. I would not deal with getting any mods. No one regrets not putting mods on a game they own or owned.
Just play, enjoy and see if you like pinball in the first place.
Edit - $15 air ball mod is good.

Alrball mod is ordered!

Not spending $400 on a color dmd at this point.

Will get it and play it. If we love it after a year or more I’ll look at some cosmetic mods. At this point just want to know what I need to do to keep it mint/ improve gameplay.

#98 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Question for you two. If you had to sell off your entire collection but could keep one of your pins For two years and it be the only Pin you could own, and it had to be one that was less than $6000, What would it be? Would it be pirates?

Not pirates for me, I’ve owned it 12 years and I’m attached to it but I’d sell it before I’d sell anything in my collection. That’s not because I don’t like Potc but just because I’v played it more than anything else in my collection.

#99 5 years ago
Quoted from Kwoody51:

Alrball mod is ordered!
Not spending $400 on a color dmd at this point.
Will get it and play it. If we love it after a year or more I’ll look at some cosmetic mods. At this point just want to know what I need to do to keep it mint/ improve gameplay.

I would not worry about your POTC wearing down overtime. I had one with 20,000 plays and the PF still looked super clean. My friend got a Chuck E Cheese POTC pin and after he cleaned it up it looked great! The Chuck E POTC had over 40,000 plays.

POTC holds up super well.

#100 5 years ago

That’s true. I’ve seen several huo ones that looked brand new after 10 years.
I finally put a cliff on the shooter lain but it really didn’t show any wear before that.

Color DMD is expensive but can be sold or transfer to next pin if you ever sell Potc. IMO this is expensive but very well worth but can be added later on down the line.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal
Toppers
$ 9.99
Cabinet - Other
Bent Mods
Other
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 21.50
Machine - For Sale
Jackson, MICHIGAN
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 29.95
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Pimp
Decals
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop
Toys/Add-ons
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems
Boards
$ 30.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 14.00
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs
Protection
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 75.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PFX Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Tuscaloosa, AL
$ 48.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 10.00
Lighting
Yoppsicle
Lighting
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 7,395.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 5.00
8,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pearl River, NY
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball
Protection
$ 69.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.95
Playfield - Other
Pinball Pimp
Other
7,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
St. Louis, MO
$ 250.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
Interactive
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 133 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1st-pin-advice-houdini-or-something-else/page/2?hl=loveneverdiesguy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.