20140901_152137.jpg
20140831_022131.jpg
20140831_022109.jpg
20140831_003556.jpg
20140831_003546.jpg
H Wave.jpg
02 (500x281).jpg
9V Bulb test (450x253).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin-it.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Where should I start?

Get it running first and decide what parts/tools need to be purchased, because you try to only order parts once if possible.

http://www.pbresource.com/how2ordr.html

If this is your first Em i would read this http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

#6 9 years ago

↑ 20 seconds

#49 9 years ago

Any opinions on cold heat soldering iron?

Dont know much about them,i use an old school Weller solder gun.

IMG_2089 - Copy.JPGIMG_2089 - Copy.JPG

How many watts is the cold heat iron?

#52 9 years ago

The left flipper i cant move up and down from playfield surface even a little like the right flipper maybe this is causing me to lose some power? Any other ideas?

Is it rubbing? Small washers between the flipper shaft and the bushing will add clearance.
You did change out the flipper bushing?

#55 9 years ago

Do I put them over bushing on top of playfield? Yes bushings are new.

Yes ,its as though you are increasing the height of the bushing itself,which increases the gap of the flipper to playfield gap.
I have done a few ,so your not the first. The washers go on top of the playfield side of the bushing.

I'm thinking those washers are too big...t

Get smaller ones.... If you have the old parts bring them with you to size proper ,ends trips to the hardware store.
Flipper bushing drawing.pngFlipper bushing drawing.png
Just so there is no confusion. Also make sure the washers fit inside the flipper in addition to shaft/stem fitment.

#65 9 years ago

I just assumed they were interchangable.

Extracted from Pinball medic:
Solenoid Coil Body Differences
(Flipper and large core bank reset coils are not included in this comparison.)
Bally and Gottlieb use the same standard 1 1/2 inches long coil body. Gottlieb and Bally coils usually use a 1 5/8 inch long coil sleeve.
Replace a Gottlieb coil with a Bally manufactured coil substitution only if a genuine coil is unattainable.
Pinball Medic Amusements Pinball Solenoid Coil Charts A typical Williams or Data East coil uses a 1/16 of an inch shorter coil body then a Gottlieb coil.
Williams coil body length is 1 5/8 inches. Standard length of coil sleeve for Williams coils is 1 3/4 inches long.
Coil Substitutions using a different coil manufacturer then the original coil
It is always best to use a coil with the exact part number of the original. However, this cannot always be found. Specs like coil body length, coil diode (if present on original coil), coil sleeve type/length and coil body style should always be the same between the original coil and its substitute coil. Coil body length, lug placement/length and coil sleeve type should always be considered when substituting coil part numbers. A match can usually be found by comparing the function of the original coil with the typical function of the substitute coil. Pinball game coils have been specifically designed to operate the mechanism they were installed in......

. I'm going to order a new Williams coil

I would.

#77 9 years ago

For extra credit you may want to reverse the hardware to a stud type attachment.
Some may forbid this Mod but i dont care whats underneath as its easily reversible,besides its mine.
Benefits:less likely to strip the bracket hole rather than way the Oem does it running a screw in and out,harder to strip the nut than it is to strip the Phillips head,plus easier to adjust/tighten.
The only catch to this mod is that the flat of the first nut tightened will have to be parallel with the coils length in order for the socket to catch/tighten the 2nd nut.

Just dont over-tighten the nut though, as you could snap off the screws shaft or strip it. Just snug it down.

I also use two toothed type washers (not shown) under the screw and nut.

Hdwr. Mod. (500x281).jpgHdwr. Mod. (500x281).jpg

1 week later
#84 9 years ago

# 9 → http://webpages.charter.net/chibler/Pinball/TimArnold/47ThingsYouNeedToKnow.htm

Yes you can buy new ones but try that repair first ↑↑ as it doesnt cost a lot of $$$.

Most likely thats all you need to do,solder a drop between the bracket & base will fix it ,dont over heat it though. Whether you need to solder a tit on the bulb,i usually dont unless its worn down.
But a scuff pad cleaning is a good idea for that. I have done a few and it works great.

Ditto, ↑ Never any Oil or Grease.

9V Bulb test (450x253).jpg9V Bulb test (450x253).jpg
02 (500x281).jpg02 (500x281).jpg

Check with a 9 volt for bases and bulbs *sometimes it does not work on all bulb bases because a bunch in series will not make it light.
If that happens you can use a meter on the bracket to base for continuity too.
Just dont bridge over to the hot feed. Test with machine unplugged of course. No welding.

#109 9 years ago

So I tried soldering 3 bulb sockets...when I turned game on those
3 bulbs were very very dim...then all of a sudden BOOM! No playfield lights!

Quoted from Pin-it:

Just dont bridge over to the hot feed.

A bridge too far...

#112 9 years ago

I noticed that my match number at the end of a game is stuck at 3 AND that every 1 point switch awards 11 points

Wms D.u..JPGWms D.u..JPG
Check your 0-9 score reel carry over switch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pin-it.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1st-em-need-a-little-guidance?tu=pin-it and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.