20140901_152137.jpg
20140831_022131.jpg
20140831_022109.jpg
20140831_003556.jpg
20140831_003546.jpg
H Wave.jpg
02 (500x281).jpg
9V Bulb test (450x253).jpg
There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.
#151 9 years ago

I'll check that too. Thanks!

#152 9 years ago

Lights issue finally fixed! Took stepper apart, sanded brass rivets and fingers with 500 grit sand paper, wiped down with alcohol, added SUPER LUBE. On the other side took off and cleaned the two main pivot point pieces (this probably made the biggest difference as they were practically frozen), added SUPER LUBE to the pivot points and the gear teeth...and VIOLA! LIGHTS WORK WOOT! I did the exact same thing to the stepper in the back box for the match unit and small bell...have to order a new coil for that one though. Also cut the springs shorter by about 20% on both steppers...this was absolutely necessary even with all the cleaning and lube.

I feel like I have learned so much in such a short time. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has popped in to help me out!

#153 9 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

Lights issue finally fixed! Took stepper apart, sanded brass rivets and fingers with 500 grit sand paper, wiped down with alcohol, added SUPER LUBE. On the other side took off and cleaned the two main pivot point pieces (this probably made the biggest difference as they were practically frozen), added SUPER LUBE to the pivot points and the gear teeth...and VIOLA! LIGHTS WORK WOOT! I did the exact same thing to the stepper in the back box for the match unit and small bell...have to order a new coil for that one though. Also cut the springs shorter by about 20% on both steppers...this was absolutely necessary even with all the cleaning and lube.
I feel like I have learned so much in such a short time. I just wanted to say thanks to everyone who has popped in to help me out!

Congrats. I figured it was the stepper unit on the lights.

Steve Young sells a spring kit for Williams steppers, both continuous and step up/step down units, so you can put new springs in instead of cutting down springs that are already pretty weak.

Steppers on EMs are usually a big part of problems. If they don't work properly, a game will never work properly.

#154 9 years ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

Congrats. I figured it was the stepper unit on the lights.
Steve Young sells a spring kit for Williams steppers, both continuous and step up/step down units, so you can put new springs in instead of cutting down springs that are already pretty weak.
Steppers on EMs are usually a big part of problems. If they don't work properly, a game will never work properly.

Just bought some Williams springs from Steve the other day. Great resource.

#155 9 years ago

Good to know about the spring kits...I need a coil anyway probably order that as well. Thanks!

1 week later
#156 9 years ago

Alrighty...new coil and new springs for steppers under playfield and in back box (the one with the bell). So that's done and working great. Lowered pitch all the way down. Still not scoring fast enough on rollover...Guess I could try cleaning tens wheel again...Should I Super Lube it? If so what part do I lube? Any other ideas? This is all I need to figure out to get machine to 100%...

#157 9 years ago

What about the relay? Possibly as simple as cleaning or might some adjustment be necessary? What kind of adjustments should I be making? Wanna finish this project and get back to actually playing pinball...This is in regards to the 10 point relay taking to long to score 50 points as mentioned earlier...fyi.

#158 9 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

What about the relay? Possibly as simple as cleaning or might some adjustment be necessary? What kind of adjustments should I be making? Wanna finish this project and get back to actually playing pinball...This is in regards to the 10 point relay taking to long to score 50 points as mentioned earlier...fyi.

You could try closing the switches on the relay just a little bit. Also make sure the score motor switch is closing. I don't think it's the score reel itself.

The game will rob you of points if you hit that bumper too soon. I was able to replicate that on my game. I just can't figure why it's so slow to score the 50 points.

#159 9 years ago

Thanks! I'll give it a shot.

1 week later
#160 9 years ago

check out my youtube videos on em repair. type, airaces1 in the search of youtube. Start by cleaning and ajust all contacts. check and clean all steppers. I never plug a game in til i go over everything in the game, 95% of the time the game fires up and play like it came out of the factory.

#161 9 years ago
Quoted from Airaces:

check out my youtube videos on em repair. type, airaces1 in the search of youtube. Start by cleaning and ajust all contacts. check and clean all steppers. I never plug a game in til i go over everything in the game, 95% of the time the game fires up and play like it came out of the factory.

That's fine for an experienced EM tech. For a guy just learning, cleaning and adjusting every single contact on a game and doing the same with steppers is more likely to make it worse.

#162 9 years ago

EMsInKC what is your problem. I trying to help somebody. I guess you have issues.

#163 9 years ago
Quoted from Airaces:

Lots of good info Airaces!!

There are 163 posts in this topic. You are on page 4 of 4.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1st-em-need-a-little-guidance/page/4 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.