Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 14 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by PinRetail
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wildinindiana.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 1 year ago

So I have had this Data East Star Wars for quite some time, have gone through a litany of issues over time, but it has gone down to a point of frustration.

To start, it has a Rottendog CPU, I have a Rottendog Power supply but swapped the original in with no change. I tested the voltages for the DMD and the values checked out, DMD Connected with both power supplies. Test points checked out at the Power supply board itself. +5v at the display board checks out as well.

Power Switch ON, Obi Wan Talks, GI's come on with power on, CPU Boots Properly, PIA and 5v light come on, PIA goes out, and Blank comes on, Relay kicks GI's off, Blank and 5v stay on solid, DMD comes on with "Display Version" and information, and just flashes that over and over, no further. I have been checking the voltages and they check out on the CPU and Power supply (rottendog and original).

Video here if it helps.

If anyone could point me in the next direction, it would be much appreciated.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

For a while now the large displays, like on Baywatch, Maverick, etc... have had problems with 5V power on that little 3 pin connector powering the display decoder board. Lately I've had a couple of the smaller display boards with dodgy power also. It would frequently read 5v at the connector, but wiggle the connector and the voltage would drop when measured on the board.
I generally don't replace the pins on the board, but I rebuild that 3 pin connector with Trifucon connectors instead of the original IDC connector. It's just a 3 pin plug with two wires.
Then I re-seat the ribbon cable to the display, because this ribbon cable is frequently a source of problems. I frequently replace these cables on Star Wars Data East.
This presents as though either the Display is holding the CPU down, or the CPU is resetting constantly (or frozen).
Does the game play with the display frozen/flashing?
Let us know what you find.

The game does not go past the point in the video. It will not play a game. Everything freezes and the DMD just Flashes. It gets to the point on the cpu of the 5v and blanking going solid but wont move. I will check that connector for sure as well.

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from Crash:

This one's definitely odd. When a Data East/Sega DMD circuit loses 5v it will reset and show "Display Version." At first glance this seems to be what is happening. Yet, the CPU is also non-responsive. Which points to a possible 5v issue at the power supply or wiring harness/connectors, or a CPU logic issue that is sending a reset signal to the DMD, if that's possible.
Was the game working before these issues cropped up?

Yes it was working, though it has been some time. It has been climate controlled and in my home for quite some time. It went on the back burner because it was driving me insane, and we started fostering. So for a couple years it has sat, now that we have adopted the kiddos we were fostering, I broke it back out and hit it with fresh eyes. It is doing exactly what it was when I put it to sleep. The pinball gods did not touch it... lol...

I went through the voltages, they were all on the high side of spec, except for one of the -100 on the power supply which is -131, -12 is -16.2, 68v is 77.9, 18 is 20 which is close. All the voltages are on the high side of the voltage parameters they are to live within, or lower for the negative ones. I checked that connector on the DMD and it is good with nice continuity, but I will still order a new trifurcon either way. I need some in bulk anyway as I have a couple other machines that need connectors replaced too. But I dont believe that is it as in testing it is sending 5.2 through the board.

#7 1 year ago

I will check through all the voltages again when I get back to it tomorrow.

#11 1 year ago

So, I am back at it. I went through the voltages. Board test points, connectors and such. It is a Rottendog Power Supply btw... Voltages again look on the high side of good, but would almost make sense as the power supply is not an oem that is worn out. I do not have a good known game right now to put the boards in, so we are looking at a bench test. I have it on the bench, have powered it up and it boots from PIA to solid +5 and solid Blanking. To my understanding, this is the correct start up sequence. It stalls immediately after that, but, I did notice that the 6808 micro migrated from the oem board to the Rottendog was quite hot on the left side a quarter of the way in. This could be pointing at an issue for sure. The board it came from had a substantial amount of cancer, but it looked as though with some remediation, the chip was good. I have ordered a 6808 and feel that there is no sense moving forward until it has been replaced.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from Crash:

It definitely sounds like the 6808 CPU is shorted internally, bringing down the 5v supply and causing the display issue. Hopefully that's your smoking gun (no pun intended)!

Lol, I agree. Its odd though, the 5 volt is getting to the display driver... Has anyone else ever heard of the 6808 causing a loop?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

$ 17.50
Playfield - Decals
Pinball Invasion

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 48.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Denver, CO
$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 54.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 20.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 79.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pino Pinball Mods Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 85.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider wildinindiana.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1992-data-east-star-wars-no-boot-dmd-flashing?tu=wildinindiana and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.