(Topic ID: 201558)

1992 Bally Doctor Who Mini-Playfield Short... Need help!

By halgerl

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Rdoyle1978
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Hello,

This is my first post on here so hopefully I'm doing this right. My family has had the Doctor Who pinball machine for around 15 years, and as of a couple years ago we have been having issues with it. Originally, we had a motor issue with the mini playfield which we were able to get replaced and the machine functioned normally. However, the mini playfield will not rise again, and this time the motor is fine. We had someone come look at it and he suggested that there was a short somewhere that was preventing the mini playfield from getting the signal to rise up. The guy said he couldn't figure out where the short was and was not able to repair it for us, but we love the game so much and would hate to have to dump it.

I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar issue and if so how did they go about fixing it? Everything else in the game works great but the mp just won't rise anymore when it's supposed to and we cannot continue or beat the game. Also, I heard there was a way to disable the mp from the game settings? In case we are not able to fix the mp, could someone also walk me through doing that? Does disabling it mean we can play the game fine without the mp?

Sorry for all the questions!!

Haley

#2 1 year ago

Welcome to pinside. Here’s a link to a bunch of info on the mpf. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/dw-mpf-warning-keep-hands-away-from-mini-playfield-tech-club

Good luck.

#5 1 year ago

dngrwillrobinson Thanks, I'm happy to be here! It seems that that forum is dedicated to fixing motors or other moving parts rather than wires. I believe that this is a wire issue and was hoping if someone knew where I should start.

#6 1 year ago

I have $1 on the table that says its a bad connector for the motor.

Under the playfield you will see a flat 2-wire connector with red/black wires.

Give that a good push together to see if it makes a difference. If it does, replace the connector.

Also, I would do a full switch test just to make sure you don't have a matrix issue.

Try to run through everything. Also, the optos in the MPF. They are a bit harder to get to, but with a friend you can lift the MPF up and get to the optos under the MPF to make sure they are working. Just block with something solid.

Watch your fingers working with the glass off.
faz

#7 1 year ago

Follow the motor wires . They go to a small little circuit board. You may have a bad connection here at the board. Otherwise check the board itself. I had one recently where the capacitor on the board leaked and opened a trace on this little board.

#8 1 year ago

This is not going to be an easy fix for a novice. You might get lucky and find a broken wire but you really need to run through a process of trouble shooting. First and foremost check the batteries on the CPU board is there any acid leakage? If so the simple thing for a novice is to replace the board. If no leakage follow the manual for testing switches and the mini playfield tests.

Hard to walk you through this online you may consider posting here to see if someone is willing to come over and take a look at it.

It’s certainly reparable you just need someone with experience to assist you.

#9 1 year ago

I had this issue with a mysterious wire - it turned out to be a power wire that was running to a flasher (the one next to the Doctor #5 light in the backpanel, I think). the wire was also supplying power to the Mini Playfield, and it just came loose one day when I was fixing the MPF. It came out of one of the Molex connectors that Faz is suggesting you check. Look for a loose red wire down in the waaaaaay back of the machine.

In fact, I have a video of it! This may or may not help..

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chippewa, PA
£ 75.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 399.95
$ 74.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
Id Rather Play Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside