1991 star trek and led bulbs ?

By Milltown

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

I'm curious on a 91 star trek .data east .
Are Led bulbs plug and play ?
Or is there strobing issues when used in the gi ?
Or any issues with feature if led bulbs are installed ?

#2 6 years ago

You saw my Star Wars pin
I got Leds in both my saga and DE games (all), I get a very little ghosting but its not bad.

#3 6 years ago

I put a cointaker kit in mine and haven't noticed any problems.

#4 6 years ago

Ok good to know...

#5 6 years ago

You shouldn't have any issues. In fact, it will reduce the power consumption by a noticeable margin. I would recommend making your own kit by color-matching inserts and choosing either cool or warm white for your general illumination lamps.

#6 6 years ago

I haven't played around with a Star Trek...but my Simpsons DE had ghosting in a lot of places. So bad actually that non-ghosting bulbs couldn't fix it. I went back to incandescents in a few places and even those flickered, so I'm wondering if there are actually other issues at play.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

I haven't played around with a Star Trek...but my Simpsons DE had ghosting in a lot of places. So bad actually that non-ghosting bulbs couldn't fix it. I went back to incandescents in a few places and even those flickered, so I'm wondering if there are actually other issues at play.

Sounds like it. I'm babysitting a LW3 that's chock full of LEDs and don't have any flicker or ghosting issues.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

If you have regular incandescent bulbs in the inserts and still have an issue, then I would look at the lamp matrix to see if you can narrow it down to which column/row is acting up. Definably sounds like a repairable problem.

#9 6 years ago

Aewsome.. thank u.. I like original bulbs but all my others have led bulbs .I don't want it to look dull at all... haha

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Milltown:

Aewsome.. thank u.. I like original bulbs but all my others have led bulbs .I don't want it to look dull at all... haha

Convert to LED and make sure you use non-ghosting LEDs in the inserts. I recommend Comet LEDs.

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Convert to LED and make sure you use non-ghosting LEDs in the inserts. I recommend Comet LEDs.

I second that for comet bulbs.
ST25 was the first pin I did LEDs on so I bought a kit, it looks fine but I built my own kit from comet for JP and I like it a lot more.

#12 6 years ago

LED'd mine with the basic 1 smd supreme brightness. Warm white in the GI. Cool Whites under green and blue inserts, Warm whites under orange, clear and other "warm" colors and red under red (other then red washes out the red). You can't go wrong. Color matching is "eh" and sometimes goofs the color of the original inserts. Matching green bulb under a teal insert for instance looks like crap.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

LED'd mine with the basic 1 smd supreme brightness.

Purchased from?

#14 6 years ago

Comet. Bought them by the 100s when switching my games over to led.

#15 6 years ago

Simpsons DE has a *ton* of effects where the GI turns off and back on again quickly. Does Star Trek do similar things? I only ask, because if that's the case, then I'd recommend 1SMD for the GI.

I usually do 2SMD (twin 2835) for GI, but there were too many total blackout GI moments on Simpsons that I found them too bright.

#16 6 years ago

LOL. Pretty much all Data Easts have that built in seizure feature.

#17 6 years ago

I bought a bunch of the twin 2835 dmd in sunlight from comet

I put them in the GI in TSPP, AFM and the shadow. I think sunlight liked good in all 3 machines. They definitely brighten things up and I think looked good.

I tried them in Williams Fire, but they did not seem to me to be warm enough for that game....m still not sure what color,led would be best in that game... If any.

Never got around to the inserts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 190.00
Lighting
Pinball Haus

$ 11.00
Playfield - Decals
RGP Models

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Machine - For Sale
Sanford, NC
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Hardware
Filament Printing

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1991-star-trek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.