Topic Stats

• 15 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by jonogo
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 11 years ago

I haven't played one. I've heard its similar to HSII - Getaway. Anyone play one of these that can offer an opinion?

#2 11 years ago

I know a guy who has one and is selling it, he told me it's a really fun pin that takes advantage of it's theme very well. I was thinking of buying it, but it has a somewhat low rating on IPDB, and I'm more into Williams games.

#3 11 years ago

Played 2 games on one at Al's Warehouse. Didn't enjoy it. I remember that the sound really bugged me.

Full disclosure: I'm not a car guy.

#4 11 years ago

Had one for 10 years. Very reliable, fun game. Ramp shot is a little easy but gets pretty narrow when you need to collect the 1mil checkered flag or the last consecutive ramp shot for the big points. Make sure the ramp is in decent shape as last i checked they were impossible to replace. Sold mine a couple years back and bought a HSII. Compared to Getaway, checkpoint feels clunky and slow but it's still pretty fun.

#5 11 years ago

For a porsche guy, this is a great pin... fuchs allow rim in the backglass that spins with a cool burnout sound... spell out "carerra" with the targets to start the blue light special, cool porsche toy on the field, backglass with a 930 and I believe a silver 356, and ignition key instead of a start button (and the key is appropriately placed on the left side of the cabinet, just like in a porsche). It was the first pin with a DMD display, and you can choose your music at the start of the game (country, rock, etc). I think it's a great, simple, yet fun pin and I'm on the hunt for one.

Unfortunately, every one that I've seen has been beat to sh*t, and it's impossible to find parts. Let me know if anyone has a very nice example within a few hour drive of philadelphia.

#6 11 years ago

It is about half as fun as HS2. Sound is rather annoying. However, it is still a decent pin and if price is right I would not tell you to pass.

#7 11 years ago

Very underrated pin and first with a DMD.

#8 11 years ago

Dun Dun Dun Dunk RED LINE!

Its a decent pin. I hated that hurry up bell sound that got annoying real fast. The ramp shot actually measures the speed of the ball. And you have to go so fast to increase the RPM. The machine I used to play was a bitch when that speed was at 210. Over all its a decent game.

#9 11 years ago

I had a Checkpoint a few years back. Had to replace the DMD which was expensive, but otherwise no problems. Pretty fun and my then 5 year old loved it. You can easily pick one up for $1k or less so I think it's a good bang-for-the-buck pin.

Rob

#10 11 years ago
Quoted from Chippewa-Pin:

You can easily pick one up for $1k or less so I think it's a good bang-for-the-buck pin.
Rob

If you see one for less then $1000... let me know. I've seen only three available in the last three months and all were north of $2000.

#11 11 years ago

Put a WTB post out there and I'd be shocked if you didn't get multiple responses. It's now where near a $2k pin.

#12 11 years ago

Yeah, it should be NO WHERE near $2000. A couple years ago, I was offered a really worn one for $500. Granted, that was a couple years ago, but unless I missed it, Checkpoint hasn't earned many fans since then.

My problem with it is that it is a really easy game. Like, *really* easy game. One where you don't need to drain the ball until you want to. Which is all well and good if you like that sort of thing, but I don't. I have never played one that I didn't feel that on, and when you are playing for a LONG time at each crack, you hear and see it all quickly. It's a very cool looking game, and historical thanks to the small DMD (which was the first use of a DMD in a pin - yup, it's a DE innovation!)

The one other thing that I think it is this game that has it that no one game that I know of does... it will time your speed on the ramp shots. The first switch will start the timer and the second switch will stop it, the faster you can send the ball around there, the more points you get. I think that is an *amazing* feature that I really wish more games would utilize.

#13 11 years ago
Quoted from goatdan:

I think that is an *amazing* feature that I really wish more games would utilize.

Super cool! I didn't notice that.

#14 11 years ago

Get one fully working nice DMD.
I owned one for 2 years got it cheap and dumped a ton of money in it.

Fast playing game and for its day its a good game (under rated IMO).
If you can get into one under 1k with a good DMD why not.
If the DMD is bad or flaky $500 would be my first offer 700 tops if its super clean.

#15 11 years ago

I like the speed feature, that is very unique!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1991-de-checkpoint-pin-opinions and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.