IMG_20210822_144043200 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210822_144031408 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210822_144026887 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210822_143310654 (resized).jpg
IMG_20210822_143317006 (resized).jpg
Captura de pantalla (4) (resized).png
WhatsApp Image 2021-08-17 at 11.05.33 PM (resized).jpeg
#1 2 years ago

So i just signed to this forum hoping to get some help to fix a Funhouse pinball for a relative. Im confortable fixing real arcade hardware, i have even tried to fix some crts, and also succesfully converted a few tvs to rgb monitors, i have build some mame multigames, and even built me a digital pinbal. But i have never ever, ever tried to fix a real pinball. So yes, im starting blind, so far i have searched for some problems on this forums, and so far i found the manual and a couple of advices that im hopping to takle next time ill visit my relative. Anyway, mi visit started as he stated that the game was working but it had no sound. So searching in google, i came acroos as the most posible solution , that worked for almost anyone, was reaseting the roms and plugs. So i gave him a visit and found that the sound was not his only problem. Turns out another "technician" tried to fix it with no luck, but in the process, he damaged, what i call the dmd, or the score screen. My relative bought another one, but after fiiring up the game, the screen wont come up, but i think i allready have a solution for that, and if im not mistaken i have to switch the cable from j201 to j204. So ill try that next time. On the sound board, i would like to tackle that problem after having everything else fixed. What worries me first is that , when we turn the game on, and deposit a coin, the game starts to spit the ball, nothing wrong with that, but, if we launch the ball, the flippers wont work at all. But if i put the game in test mode, flippers work all right, and for that , i couldnt find any information in google or here.

So i was wondering if anyone here could help me takle that problem first. What should i look for, im totally lost.
Thanks in advance for any help.

#2 2 years ago
Quoted from abispac:

what i call the dmd, or the score screen.

Alpha numeric on Funhouse.

This might help you - https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC

LTG : )

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Alpha numeric on Funhouse.
This might help you - https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC

Thanks for the link, but i read it a couple of times and couldnt find any helpfull information, i notice the pictures on the alphanumeric screens on this info use 2 ribbon cables, while both displays that my friend have, only use 1 ribbon cable (he have one broken display and a new one, so either they are not the originals or the game has been manipulated before he owned it.
Anyone has any idea on what to tackle on the flipper problem? They dont work in game mode, but they work fine in test mode..
Thanks alot for reading.

#4 2 years ago

Update: Changing the alphanumeric harness from j201 to j204 made the display work. Then after a few hits, or a reset , now the game plays and the flippers work. I discovered that theres no continuity on all 3 speakers, so that might be the problem with the sound. I will need to trace why the speakers loose continuity and hopefully fix the sound.

#5 2 years ago

Update#2: After looking at pictures from the internet, i realize we have the speaker not wired to where they should, tomorrow i will attempt to wire them correctly, and see if the problem persist.

#6 2 years ago

Update#3, No one seems to care here, but ill keep posting anyway, maybe in the future someone will find this helpfull.
So after fiting the cables in the sound board where they should be, we had no sound, so theres alot of burn where the amp cirquit goes, the l something, thats is atached to the heat sink, lucky for us, i can get it localy so tomorrow ill go buy it and will test after puting everything together. In the meant time, i thought the game played normally but i notice that when starting a game the game spits all the balls one by one. So theres something funky going on there. If anyone is reading and can help, i would really apreciate the advice, thanks alot.

#7 2 years ago
Quoted from abispac:

when starting a game the game spits all the balls one by one.

Go into your switch test. You will find the chart on the last page of your manual.
Are your trough switches registering properly? Do you see a switch in the shooter lane? If so, is that one registering? (I don't see shooter lane on the matrix.)

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Go into your switch test. You will find the chart on the last page of your manual.
Are your trough switches registering properly? Do you see a switch in the shooter lane? If so, is that one registering? (I don't see shooter lane on the matrix.)

Thanks ill check on that tomorrow or the next time i visit the machine...in the mean time ive been doing my homework, looks like most audio problems are soved by replacing u9 on the board, wich i cant get locally so ill depend on ebay on this one. Ill keep updating, thanks again for your advice.

#9 2 years ago

Bump,any advice on where to buy u9?

#11 2 years ago

i will,thanks.

#12 2 years ago

Anyway i just edited the title as i only need to fix the sound now. YAAAAYYYYY, after replacing the amp circuit, the one thats atached to the heat sink, seems like we have sound. But its not the sound we expected, plus the heatsink does not get too hot anymore, wich makes me think the old amp was bad indeed. Anyway, heres a short video showiing the sound we get. Plus i added a picture, to see if anyone its kind enough to tell me if the speaker are conected correctly. black cable its on the left and yellow and black cable is in the right. Thanks alo for any help provided.

WhatsApp Image 2021-08-17 at 11.05.33 PM (resized).jpegWhatsApp Image 2021-08-17 at 11.05.33 PM (resized).jpeg
#13 2 years ago

Bump, better video and better picture
Anyway i just edited the title as i only need to fix the sound now. YAAAAYYYYY, after replacing the amp circuit, the one thats atached to the heat sink, seems like we have sound. But its not the sound we expected, plus the heatsink does not get too hot anymore, wich makes me think the old amp was bad indeed. Anyway, heres a short video showiing the sound we get. Plus i added a picture, to see if anyone its kind enough to tell me if the speaker are conected correctly. black cable its on the left and yellow and black cable is in the right. Thanks alo for any help provided.

Captura de pantalla (4) (resized).pngCaptura de pantalla (4) (resized).png
#14 2 years ago

No one?

#15 2 years ago

Try flipping the ribbon cable around on the sound card only. It's possible that the cable is backwards, which can garble up the data.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Try flipping the ribbon cable around on the sound card only. It's possible that the cable is backwards, which can garble up the data.

Thanks i will and post results

#17 2 years ago

Changing the cable around wont make any diference, in fact, disconecting the cabe, i still get the the craking noise, so maybe the card aint working. Here are a couple of images, hopefully someone spots something wrong, thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_20210822_143310654 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_143310654 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_143317006 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_143317006 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144026887 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144026887 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144031408 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144031408 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144043200 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144043200 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144103423 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144103423 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144106251 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144106251 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144202884 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144202884 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144209098 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144209098 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144212634 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144212634 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144216324 (resized).jpgIMG_20210822_144216324 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#18 2 years ago

Bump.... Still not working.

#19 2 years ago

I just noticed two things in the pictures that look a bit peculiar.

1.) The screws on the sound board aren't tighten down. Those screws give the board additional ground.

2.) Why is there a capacitor on the cabinet speaker? It's possible that the capacitor is interfering with the sound card.

#20 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

I just noticed two things in the pictures that look a bit peculiar.
1.) The screws on the sound board aren't tighten down. Those screws give the board additional ground.
2.) Why is there a capacitor on the cabinet speaker? It's possible that the capacitor is interfering with the sound card.

I have tried with the screw tighted , no diference, and for the capacitor at the speaker, as far as i know is normal, al 3 speakers work right, i even tried using a regular speaker by itself, same result. i took the board with a friend and he checked the capacitors for me, they all seem to be good. so im lost at the moment on what to check next.

#21 2 years ago

Are the caps good on the sound card and power supply?

#22 2 years ago
Quoted from Shogun00:

Are the caps good on the sound card and power supply?

all seem to be good

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from abispac:

I have tried with the screw tighted , no diference, and for the capacitor at the speaker, as far as i know is normal, al 3 speakers work right, i even tried using a regular speaker by itself, same result. i took the board with a friend and he checked the capacitors for me, they all seem to be good. so im lost at the moment on what to check next.

Yes, capacitor at the cabinet speaker is normal-at least the same on my funhouse
Altough the one in your pic looks like it got modified/position moved

#24 2 years ago
Quoted from harig:

Yes, capacitor at the cabinet speaker is normal-at least the same on my funhouse
Altough the one in your pic looks like it got modified/position moved

We tried conecting a single speaker from another source, to make sure it wasnt about the speaker, also we connected the game speakers to another source and they work just fine, so no problem on the speaker, i saw a couple of topics about this, and they all offer lots of diferent solutions, its there anyone that still fixes this boards?

#25 2 years ago

Make sure all the red lines on the ribbon cables are lined up with the side that identifies pin 1. It probably won't solve your issue but I noticed some cables are upside down. (Its fine if both sides are upside down) but to make things clear , you should line up the red line with pins 1.

If you get that much static with the ribbon cable unplugged, it is most likely that your board is damaged. First step is to check all voltages and fuses. Second step is to look closely everywhere on the board for any signs of burning or damage. Third step is to use proper tools like a logic probe and an oscilloscope to track down if a) the data is coming in to the DAC properly and b) if the dac outputs correctly before the amplifier.

These boards are quite easy to repair for anyone who does electronic work. Do you have access to any of those tools or all you have is a multi meter ?

#26 2 years ago
Quoted from Roamin:

Make sure all the red lines on the ribbon cables are lined up with the side that identifies pin 1. It probably won't solve your issue but I noticed some cables are upside down. (Its fine if both sides are upside down) but to make things clear , you should line up the red line with pins 1.
If you get that much static with the ribbon cable unplugged, it is most likely that your board is damaged. First step is to check all voltages and fuses. Second step is to look closely everywhere on the board for any signs of burning or damage. Third step is to use proper tools like a logic probe and an oscilloscope to track down if a) the data is coming in to the DAC properly and b) if the dac outputs correctly before the amplifier.
These boards are quite easy to repair for anyone who does electronic work. Do you have access to any of those tools or all you have is a multi meter ?

all i have is a multi meter....no fancy equipment here. i do have som eexperienced friends on fixing car audio, like fixing a damaged amp or stereo, but they also don have that kind of equipment.

3 weeks later
#27 2 years ago

Bump, does anyone here fixes this boards?

#28 2 years ago
Quoted from abispac:

Bump, does anyone here fixes this boards?

ChrisHibler

#29 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

ChrisHibler

thanks

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
San Martin, CA
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 69.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 17.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 170.00
Displays
Digipinball Shop

$ 29.95
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 26.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

8,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
5,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Haledon, NJ
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 45.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 15.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 225.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Bethel Park, PA
$ 1,059.00
Pinball Machine
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1990-williams-funhouse-wreck-multiple-problems-please-help?hl=roamin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.