By SPARKY70

5 days ago

Stats

• 13 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by SPARKY70
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

Find

Search this topic for posts matching certain words or written by a specific Pinsider. Or both!

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image (resized).jpeg

#1 5 days ago

Hi all i got a high speed a few years back, and when i bought it, the police light was ALWAYS on when powered on. To save the motor from burning out, i unplugged the motor/light.

I played the game without the beacon light since then.
I finally have The time to look into fixing it.

The police light motor/ light operates as solenoid #4, although it is not a solenoid.
The light uses transistor Q24, and pre driver transistor Q20.

Originall i tested only Q24 and it was bad, so i replaced it.

After putting it all back together, it didnt fix the problem, so today i tested and replaced predriver Q20, and retested Q24 from .4-.6 volts, but the light still does not run.

The light is controlled through J11 pin 5 grey/yellow wire.

The grey yellow wire runs up to a small wafer type board next to the light.
The board has a diode and a ceramic resistor on it.

It then sends the signal to a relay next to the board through a greywire snd a brown wire.

When the signal is received, the relay closes, then sends power to the light by two red/white wires that connect to the police light.

There is a fuse on one of the red/white wires, and the fuse tested good too.

When i bypass everything, and touch the pair of red/whit3 wires together, the light lights, and the motor spins.

This means that the motor, bulb and red/white wires are all fine.

When i operate the relay using a 9volt battery, the light and motor work fine too, so i believe the relay is fine too.

I checked continuity of the grey/yellow wire from J11 pin 5 to the wafer board, and continuity is good.

Now, before i test the diode and ceramic resistor, Id like to check the output of the grey/yellow wire from J11 pin 5 to the wafer board, but not sure how to do so.

If anybody can tell me how to test this id appreciate it.

If i left anything out, just ask.

All other solenoids/flashers/lighting are all fine. Only the police light issue. Thanks. Sparky

image (resized).jpeg

#2 5 days ago
Quoted from SPARKY70:

If anybody can tell me how to test this id appreciate it.

First off I must say that you described your problem very well.

Now on to your question, you can test the grey/yellow wire a couple of ways. You can use an ohm meter and check the resistance from 1J11 pin 5 to the wafer board. It should read 1 ohm or less. But the easiest way is to use a jumper wire with one side connected to the ground braid and then touch the other end to the metal tab of Q-24 transistor. If the light turns on then you know that the wiring and relay are both working correctly and you still have a board issue. If it doesn't turn on then use the jumper on the wafer board and touch the grey/yellow wire, if it turns on now then there is a break in the grey/yellow wire. If it doesn't turn on then check the cement resistor for an open.

#3 5 days ago

Hi grumpy, thanks for your help. I just found your response as i am going to sleep. I quickly used my dmm set to ohm and checked pin 5 to the wafer board. If im doing it correctly, It seems to be 0.3 - 0.0

My jumper wire is out in my garage, so ill get to that tomorrow.
If i understand correctly, i put one end of the jumper on the braid, and the other on the Q24 tab. If the light assembly works, there is a bourd issue, if not, its after the board.

Some questions:
When you say put the jumper on the grey/yellow at the wafer board, is the other end still on the braid?
I think my continuity test from pin 5 to wafer confirms that the wire is good?

And
How do i check that resistor for an open?

Thanks. Sparky

#4 4 days ago
Quoted from SPARKY70:

If i understand correctly, i put one end of the jumper on the braid, and the other on the Q24 tab. If the light assembly works, there is a bourd issue, if not, its after the board.

Yep.

Quoted from SPARKY70:

When you say put the jumper on the grey/yellow at the wafer board, is the other end still on the braid?

Yep.

Quoted from SPARKY70:

I think my continuity test from pin 5 to wafer confirms that the wire is good?

Yep.

Quoted from SPARKY70:

How do i check that resistor for an open?

Check it just like you checked the grey/yellow wire except it should read @ 100 ohms on the meter.

#5 4 days ago

Hi grumpy, i just jumped the ground braid to the tab of Q24.

So acording to what you said above there is an issue on my board.
I am now assuming that my relay, wiring, ceramic resistor diode, etc. are all fine.

I also checked the ceramic resistor. The meter reads 136. Is that an issue, or irrelevant?

If thats all correct, what else can i check on my board? In the mean time, i will be reading up on this. Thanks again. Sparky.

#6 4 days ago
Quoted from SPARKY70:

i just jumped the ground braid to the tab of Q24.

Did the beacon light and turn?

Quoted from SPARKY70:

I also checked the ceramic resistor. The meter reads 136. Is that an issue, or irrelevant?

That is fine.

Quoted from SPARKY70:

If thats all correct, what else can i check on my board?

Do you have a logic probe?

#7 4 days ago

Yes, the beacon lit and turned when i grounded Q/4 to the braid.

I dont have a logic probe.

#8 4 days ago
Quoted from SPARKY70:

Originall i tested only Q24 and it was bad, so i replaced it.

After putting it all back together, it didnt fix the problem, so today i tested and replaced predriver Q20

I'm betting that one of the new transistors is bad. Or there can be a poor solder joint on one of the transistor leads. This is harder to test with out a logic probe but there are ways. When you place the game in coil test for the beacons it will pulse the transistors on briefly. This can't be picked up by a multimeter very well that is why its best to use a logic probe. Try using your meter on the base (middle leg) of Q-20. It should read less then 0.8 volts DC and then change every time the game pulses the transistor. See what you get.

#9 4 days ago

Grumpy, running test mode on coil #4 (police light), i just put my dmm on DC, red lead in middle leg of Q20, black lead on braid.
The reading fluctuates at around 60.0.

Am i doing something wrong?

I dont know anything about an osciliscope, strobe or logic probe.
Are they all the same thing?
I have been told i can use a Dmm with an HZ function for testing certain things.

Ill see what i can easily obtain locally. There is a harbor freight very close to me.
I know mist of their stuff is cheap junk, but i can have it in about 15 minutes.
Any suggestions?

#11 4 days ago

Ok. Just ordered that lp 560. Should have it in a few days. Anything else i can try till then? Will you be around in a few days?? Thanjs. Sparky

#12 4 days ago

Im always around. Once you have a logic probe this will only take 5 minutes to troubleshoot.

#13 4 days ago

Sounds good. Thanks

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 164.99
$ 18.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.95
Cabinet Parts
Merf's Pins
$ 22.00
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 27.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Los Angeles, CA
800 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Unknown City, CA
$ 15.75
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
$ 18.95

Wanna join the discussion? Sign up for a Pinside account, or log in if you already have an account.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside