Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_2223 (resized).JPG
IMG_2224 (resized).JPG
High Speed Main (resized).jpg
HS_PS_Chip (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

1986 sys 11 High Speed : 5 volts is 12.5v

The game wouldn't come up, felt lots of heat on the sound ROMs and checked 5 volts = reading 12.5v
Replaced the caps on power supply with a 8 electrolytic cap kit, still getting the same voltage.
Took voltage readings at the wires that run to the 2N6059 transistor
B 13.5
E 12.5
C 14.6
Any suggestions ?

#2 6 years ago

Well, first of all, your main board is gonna be fried. If 12v went to your 5v chips, they probably are toast. Have you replaced your bridge?

#3 6 years ago

I put a bridge in temp before I swapped caps, same voltages , so I put original back in - also I swapped the 2N6059 and got same voltage so I put the original one back, before doing the cap kit.
I was thinking that the rest of the boards that use 5 volts will be messed up too after feeling the heat off the eproms. Hoping for some luck on that once the power supply is back at 5 volts.

#4 6 years ago

Unfortunately, all boards will have damage under ghis scenerio.

#5 6 years ago

At this point, there isn't much left you haven't replaced. I'd measure the diodes on the power supply to make sure they're okay, and then replace the IC.

#6 6 years ago

I was plugging in the numbers off the IC on power supply without any luck for a cross reference: 5-09424 or RAYC8306

I had heard the Data East power supply was similar and wondered if the IC was the same type? That one I was able to look up : UA723CN

HS_PS_Chip (resized).jpgHS_PS_Chip (resized).jpg

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from oneperson:

Took voltage readings at the wires that run to the 2N6059 transistor
B 13.5

This is your problem, should be @ 6.5 volts. So the regulator chip is not applying any control voltage to Q-5. With no control Q-5 will pass unreg voltage straight thru - a pn junction drop.

1 week later
#8 5 years ago

Got a voltage IC , NTE923D and installed it = much closer to 5 volts now, Thanks CadillacMusic !
So the voltage I read at the base was not from the IC, but passing through the Transistor - Thanks GRUMPY !
The 5 volts is a bit low 4.86

I did not get lucky, as far as the other boards that use 5 volts are concerned : Looks like they are damaged from the over voltage pinballplusMN . Too bad when the power supply fails it is able to pump higher voltage through the 5 volt system like this.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from oneperson:

The 5 volts is a bit low 4.86

If you change R-8 to 5.11 k ohm this will rise to 4.96 volts. If you change it to 5.23 k ohm your output will be 5.05 volts. Be sure to only use 1% resistors.

#10 5 years ago

I just had a Pinbot that had the same issue. All of the eeproms were bad. Alot depends on if the game was on for a long period of time under this over voltage condition. You may want to replace your eeproms first and see if the boards come up. You may get lucky.

1 week later
#11 5 years ago

Looks like I got kinda Lucky after all (once I dug up a eprom burner that would halfway work with a PC to copy BIN files from web) replaced all but one of the eproms and the system is back up, even sporting a "0"! Thanks for the tip pinballplusMN

Also got the 5 volts looking much better, under load, with the resister trick, thanks for that info GRUMPY

High Speed Main (resized).jpgHigh Speed Main (resized).jpg

#12 5 years ago

Wow, I'm impressed that all those chips survived. Thanks for the update.

3 years later
#13 2 years ago

Sorry to revive an old thread, but having similar issues with my High Speed. Power Supplied failed and supplied 12 volts to the +5 volts line (regulator chip failed). I replaced 3 Eproms and when I test on the bench the LED is showing "8". Not sure where to go next and would gladly take any help.

IMG_2223 (resized).JPGIMG_2223 (resized).JPGIMG_2224 (resized).JPGIMG_2224 (resized).JPG
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
RobTune

4,995 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dunakeszi
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 27.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
RobTune

$ 35.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Orange, CA
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1986-sys-11-high-speed-5-volts-is-125v and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.