Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by CadillacMusic
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

High Speed Main (resized).jpg
HS_PS_Chip (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

1986 sys 11 High Speed : 5 volts is 12.5v

The game wouldn't come up, felt lots of heat on the sound ROMs and checked 5 volts = reading 12.5v
Replaced the caps on power supply with a 8 electrolytic cap kit, still getting the same voltage.
Took voltage readings at the wires that run to the 2N6059 transistor
B 13.5
E 12.5
C 14.6
Any suggestions ?

#2 1 year ago

Well, first of all, your main board is gonna be fried. If 12v went to your 5v chips, they probably are toast. Have you replaced your bridge?

#3 1 year ago

I put a bridge in temp before I swapped caps, same voltages , so I put original back in - also I swapped the 2N6059 and got same voltage so I put the original one back, before doing the cap kit.
I was thinking that the rest of the boards that use 5 volts will be messed up too after feeling the heat off the eproms. Hoping for some luck on that once the power supply is back at 5 volts.

#4 1 year ago

Unfortunately, all boards will have damage under ghis scenerio.

#5 1 year ago

At this point, there isn't much left you haven't replaced. I'd measure the diodes on the power supply to make sure they're okay, and then replace the IC.

#6 1 year ago

I was plugging in the numbers off the IC on power supply without any luck for a cross reference: 5-09424 or RAYC8306

I had heard the Data East power supply was similar and wondered if the IC was the same type? That one I was able to look up : UA723CN

HS_PS_Chip (resized).jpg

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from oneperson:

Took voltage readings at the wires that run to the 2N6059 transistor
B 13.5

This is your problem, should be @ 6.5 volts. So the regulator chip is not applying any control voltage to Q-5. With no control Q-5 will pass unreg voltage straight thru - a pn junction drop.

1 week later
#8 1 year ago

Got a voltage IC , NTE923D and installed it = much closer to 5 volts now, Thanks cadillacmusic !
So the voltage I read at the base was not from the IC, but passing through the Transistor - Thanks grumpy !
The 5 volts is a bit low 4.86

I did not get lucky, as far as the other boards that use 5 volts are concerned : Looks like they are damaged from the over voltage pinballplusmn . Too bad when the power supply fails it is able to pump higher voltage through the 5 volt system like this.

#9 1 year ago
Quoted from oneperson:

The 5 volts is a bit low 4.86

If you change R-8 to 5.11 k ohm this will rise to 4.96 volts. If you change it to 5.23 k ohm your output will be 5.05 volts. Be sure to only use 1% resistors.

#10 1 year ago

I just had a Pinbot that had the same issue. All of the eeproms were bad. Alot depends on if the game was on for a long period of time under this over voltage condition. You may want to replace your eeproms first and see if the boards come up. You may get lucky.

1 week later
#11 1 year ago

Looks like I got kinda Lucky after all (once I dug up a eprom burner that would halfway work with a PC to copy BIN files from web) replaced all but one of the eproms and the system is back up, even sporting a "0"! Thanks for the tip pinballplusmn

Also got the 5 volts looking much better, under load, with the resister trick, thanks for that info grumpy

High Speed Main (resized).jpg

#12 1 year ago

Wow, I'm impressed that all those chips survived. Thanks for the update.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
1,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Los Angeles, CA
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 164.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 109.00
Cabinet Parts
Tilted Pinball
Sale Pending!
Danville, VA
$ 29.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 14.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 19.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
£ 99.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PinballToys
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside