3 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20200503_174112 (resized).jpg
20200503_163734 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SkyKing2301.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 3 years ago

***UPDATE: Re-seating all the connectors on the MPU cleared up the problem. I should've pulled them one at a time so help isolate where the issue was actually coming from, but I got overzealous. Marking thread Solved; will post a new thread when I run into my next issue.***

Hey all! I have this super cool Bally Black Belt, one of the infamous Bally 6803 games, that I've been trying to get going. I finally finished all the cosmetics (seriously, I tore it down in December 2018 and just this weekend finished putting it back together), resolved a number of other mechanical issues, and now need to start troubleshooting the hard stuff.

Over the time I've had the game, I've been able to turn it on, it boots up fine, the lights go into attract mode, etc. Even starting a game, it seemed to be behaving fine. However, it's starting to lose its mind.

A while back, the coil for the center saucer started locking on. I disconnected it so it wouldn't kill the coil, vowing to come back to it later. (I didn't notice any transistors LOOKING bad, but I'm going to look at the schematics to pinpoint the right one to take a closer look. Just wanted to get this posted first to deal with the more immediate problem. Read on...)

Then, more recently, the cube relay on the "solenoid expander" board -- the tiny little board under the playfield with the light right next to it (see picture below) -- started acting up, clicking on & off frenetically, basically going nuts. Now, if I start a game, almost all the PF insert lights come on (see video below), which clearly is not supposed to happen!

I'm not really sure where to start here, though clearly I'm suspicious of that relay and/or whatever's triggering it. Any guidance would be appreciated. Note, I have the manual and schematics, so hopefully that'll help us all along the way. I'll do my best to be prompt in my responses.

The video of it going bonkers:

The little relay board:
20200503_163734 (resized).jpg20200503_163734 (resized).jpg

The schematic for the little board:
20200503_174112 (resized).jpg20200503_174112 (resized).jpg

Thanks again, looking forward to getting this thing running, especially now that I've got it all put back together. This looks super fun!

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Nokoro:

I don’t think the solenoid expander relay would affect the lights. However, I believe it may be affected by the lights. ... So, I would concentrate more on figuring out what’s happening with the lamps and hope that solves the relay issue.

Even this was helpful! I started by pulling one of the connectors I know connected some lights, no change (except those lights were out). Tried another, same result. I decided then to pull all of the connectors on the MPU and re-seat them all ... and whaddya know, now it's back to normal. (I immediately regretted not going one at a time, just to help indicate where the issue was hiding. Got overzealous there.)

I hate it when it's something so simple...

Interesting footnote, I started playing a game to see how it'd operate. I ended up hitting the ball into the center saucer (whose coil is currently disconnected) ... the solenoid expander relay started clicking (and its light blinking), so it seems it ties into that...

I think maybe I'll re-connect that saucer coil next and see if that's still malfunctioning, and that'll be the next pursuit. I'll mark this one as solved and start a new one if I run into trouble there. (I don't like to change the issue later in a thread -- better for future reference by others if it's just one problem at a time.)

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from Inkochnito:

Print headers are one of the main issues on the 6803 boards.
Especialy those with only pins directly to the board (no plastic around the headers).
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Bally_6803#Replacing_header_pins
I've had three boards at one time, all with bad factory print headers.
I replaced them all and the boards are working perfectly ever since.

Yeah I'm pretty certain this is the cause of my other light problems -- I have a couple that are misbehaving. When I'd checked the wire harness a while back, I noticed a few wires were loose and touching the connector could make them go on or off. I replaced the harness with a molex type but they're still being problematic, so it's probably a pin problem.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 15.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
Electronics
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SkyKing2301.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1986-black-belt-karate-fight-relay-lights-gone-wild-?tu=SkyKing2301 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.