(Topic ID: 173376)

1984 EBD Switch Matrix Issue

By Scoomie

7 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Finally, got the sounds and speech right on my '84 Eight Ball Deluxe.

One last problem that I cannot figure out. Row 3 of the switch matrix is out (5x target, A rollover, 4/12 drop, U target and right slingshot).

I have a basic understanding of the switch matrix, so I figured it would be an easy fix - lose wire or a bad diode.

First, I made sure it was not an MPU issue by jumpering a strobe pin and a row pin on J2 in switch test - works fine.

I recently replaced the J2 connector housing with new pins.

Next checked each switch for broken wires, cold solder joints or bad diodes. Everything looked good.

Then checked for continuity between switches in the row - fine. The daisy chain seems to terminate at the 4/12 ball target/U target. So I checked for continuity between there and J2-11 - fine.

Lastly ran fresh solder over the daisy chain and replace all the diodes on the row switches.

The only thing I have not done is replace the capacitor associated with the the U stand-up target behind the 4/12 ball target.

After all that, the switches on that row still don't work.

Anyone have any suggestions on what I should do next?

Thank you
Shelby

1 week later
#2 7 years ago

Bump.

EBD (84 edition). switch matrix row 3 out.

Today on J2 I put row 3 in the row 4 connector spot and row 4 in the row 3 connector spot and row 3 and 4 switches were being recognized in test albeit the switch numbers were wrong which I would expect.

Put the connector pins back in their correct spot and row 3 is out again.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

#3 7 years ago
Quoted from Scoomie:

Bump.
EBD (84 edition). switch matrix row 3 out.
Today on J2 I put row 3 in the row 4 connector spot and row 4 in the row 3 connector spot and row 3 and 4 switches were being recognized in test albeit the switch numbers were wrong which I would expect.
Put the connector pins back in their correct spot and row 3 is out again.
Any thoughts?
Thank you

If you Logic Probe J2, does Row 3 show the same activity as the rest?
If it doesn't, power off, pull that connector and probe just the header pins. Same as the rest, or no?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Bloomsburg, PA
$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1984-ebd-switch-matrix-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.