Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 124 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by arod7227
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

starWars (resized).jpg
    FullSizeRender_9_(resized).jpg
    IMG_5366_(resized).JPG
    IMG_5359_(resized).JPG
    FullSizeRender_(resized).jpg
    FullSizeRender_7_(resized).jpg
    FullSizeRender_8_(resized).jpg
    FullSizeRender_3_(resized).jpg
    FullSizeRender_6_(resized).jpg
    FullSizeRender_2_(resized).jpg
    FullSizeRender_5_(resized).jpg
    FullSizeRender_1_(resized).jpg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 8 years ago

No it's not pinball, but it is awesome...

Game Overview:
    There is perhaps no other game more coveted by arcade video game collectors than a 1984 Star Wars cockpit. Considered by most as a "holy grail" of collecting, they are incredibly hard to find at a price that a rationale, thinking person would actually be willing to fork out. While there were 2 versions of "Star Wars" from Atari: the upright (originally costing $2099) and the cockpit (originally $2999), the cockpit version is the version that truly commands the desire and pocketbooks of hardcore collectors.
    199cbc4308bd027f1ad44428c7481c23_(resized).jpg199cbc4308bd027f1ad44428c7481c23_(resized).jpg

As always, supply and demand dictates that market. Because the cockpit versions of this game are huge and weigh a ton, sadly most examples are rotting away somewhere in a garbage dump (many arcade operators trashed them when technology moved on to games like "Out Run" and "Mortal Kombat"). As such, there just aren't that many left! If any game is worthy of a heartfelt, passionate restoration, it's an Atari Star Wars cockpit.

My personal history:
    There's been a Chuck E. Cheese in Peoria, IL for as long as I can remember. Growing up nearby, my Mom and I would frequently take trips there. Out of all the games that came and went, the one I remember most fondly was their Star Wars cockpit.

It was incredible! You had to climb inside the seat, where it was dark, quiet, and focused. Upon coin-up, the "Jedi-Knight-In-Training" would be surrounded by sound (it has 4 6x9s in it) and engulfed in an incredible HD experience provided by the vector graphics being displayed on a 25" monitor (most homes didn't even have TVs that big back then!). I loved it and played it every single time we visited.

Some 25 years later, I started collecting arcade equipment (pinballs, video games, etc...). From day one of being a collector, I've been on the lookout for a Star Wars cockpit. Every time I thought I had a line on one I could afford, it either got snatched up before I could pick the game up or the seller backed out. Sure, I've seen tons of examples of the upright version, but it just doesn't compare to the cockpit IMHO. For me, it had to be a cockpit.

Finding This Example:
    On January 16th, 2016, I saw a "for sale" ad on one of the arcade forums I frequent (KLOV). The seller was dumping like 30 games, but down at the bottom of the list was a Star Wars cockpit. I messaged the seller immediately and got a response fairly quickly. He listed his price and what was wrong with the game. Again, I responded right away and then....nothing.

I emailed and emailed. Nothing. The seller also took the game off his forum post. I figured I had yet again missed it.

Then on the 23rd, I saw a new post from the seller about the game, but this time with his phone number. Within 5 minutes of the post going live, I called him and setup a time to buy the game. I even advanced him $100 so he would for sure hold the game until I could come get it (I'm in Indianapolis; the seller was in Cleveland). SCORE!!!
    screenshot_(resized).jpgscreenshot_(resized).jpg
    I knew it would need a LOT of love to be brought back to life. The game wasn't working and had been shuffled from place to place, until finding its place here. Still, when I arrived I felt giddy about what was before my eyes...
    IMG_3873_(resized).JPGIMG_3873_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3872_(resized).JPGIMG_3872_(resized).JPGIMG_3871_(resized).JPGIMG_3871_(resized).JPGIMG_3869_(resized).JPGIMG_3869_(resized).JPG

Let's load this bad boy up and get outta here!!
    IMG_3874_(resized).JPGIMG_3874_(resized).JPG

5 hours later, my buddy Erik and I arrived home. Since it was 12:30am, we unloaded it and called it a night.

#2 8 years ago

Restoration Entry One:
    When I woke up at 8am the next morning, I felt like a kid on Christmas morning! Not only did I pick up my video game "grail" the night before, but I was going to have all day today to work on it. It's going to need a LOT of work to bring this baby up to where I want her to be. A few pics to detail what needs to be done, and what has been done:

First things first: looking at the coin counter on a game is like a holy moment for me. I love seeing how many times a game was played.
    FullSizeRender_copy_(resized).jpgFullSizeRender_copy_(resized).jpg
    In this case, she's been coined up 26,709 times. Not that many actually when you think about the game being around for 30-some years.

Along these lines, it's fun to also see if the arcade operator made his money back from buying the game. Assuming that he/she charged $0.25/play and that all of these coin-ups were financially given to the original owner, that means that this game made $6,677.25. Since the game originally sold for $2,999, this means that the operator potentially made a profit of up to $3,678.25. Pretty cool huh?

-----
    The picture below shows what is considered the "back" of the game (though it's technically the front of the Tie Fighter). What you need to notice are 2 things:
    1. The game is missing the back door. This door is what provides simple access to the monitor and game boards. Most likely it was either damaged, or removed to give better air circulation (vector based games get crazy hot). I'm going to have to make one myself if I want to have a door here.
    2. Some of those panels are beyond worth messing with. I'm just going to recreate a few of those as well to bring it back to snuff. It's just black melamine board ($30 for a gigantic sheet from Menards)
    IMG_3878_(resized).JPGIMG_3878_(resized).JPG

A shot of the "front" of the game. What needs to be noted is that the plexi is definitely not original. It's clear, while the original was slightly tinted to block out just enough light to make gameplay a submersive experience, but still clear enough that a bystander can watch the action. Sure, it could work to keep this but Jedi Knights like the dark setting of the cockpit and it just won't do for me. A beautiful repro of the original is already ordered. Colorwise, it will look more like this: IMG_3889_(resized).JPGIMG_3889_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3882_(resized).JPGIMG_3882_(resized).JPG

Inside the back of the cab reveals all the boards and monitor
    IMG_3881_(resized).JPGIMG_3881_(resized).JPG

And here's where I had my first "oh crap" moment. Part of what makes the cockpit version so cool is that it has a 25" Ampliphone monitor in it. While this monitor is in fact 25", it is not the original Ampliphone monitor and yoke (the part on the tube that tells the guns where to shoot colored light in order to create a picture). Here's what so scary about this: CRT tubes are no longer made; they are incredibly hard to source. And a 25" Ampliphone-compatible tube is ever rarer than a SW cockpit.

Upon seeing this, I immediately emailed some pics to a guy that knows a lot about vector games. He informed to "take a deep breath and calm down," as we should be okay. The yoke is in fact an Ampliphone yoke, but it's for the 19" game. To my surprise, he said this is no big deal as it does the same job. What could be a big deal though is if the tube they put that yoke on is compatible (and has been converged correctly). If not, I have no clue how to proceed.

Since the game isn't working currently, I'm choosing not to get anxious about this part of the puzzle and trust that when the time comes, either the monitor will be beautiful, or I'll be directed what to do next. I think we'll be alright, but this really is something I wish the seller would have disclosed. I should have known better to do my homework to know what to inspect, but you live and you learn. I'm praying that my lesson learned won't be a costly one!

Good news is that I have all the other pieces and the monitor does look to be a viable swap candidate.
    IMG_3898_(resized).JPGIMG_3898_(resized).JPG

The Ampliphone HV board and deflection board
    IMG_3891_(resized).JPGIMG_3891_(resized).JPGIMG_3890_(resized).JPGIMG_3890_(resized).JPG

The power supply. This is a very common power supply on Atari games. It needs to be rebuilt from the ground up though with new parts so it puts out proper, consistent voltages.
    IMG_3893_(resized).JPGIMG_3893_(resized).JPG

The flight yoke (joystick). Yes it's ugly but I've got all the parts to bring her back. Going to take some paint, new artwork, and work.
    IMG_3895_(resized).JPGIMG_3895_(resized).JPG

A look at the bottom-side of the game reveals the wheels, and that the casters that prohibited the game from rolling all over the place are missing. I'll have to fabricate something here as well. Also notice that there's a chunk missing from the bottom panel of the game. I wonder where that went.
    IMG_3910_(resized).JPGIMG_3910_(resized).JPG

Oh, here it is...
    IMG_3880_(resized).JPGIMG_3880_(resized).JPG

I've pulled everything out in this picture. Closer inspection shows the original rubber mat inside. Gross. It needs to go and be replaced...
    IMG_3902_(resized).JPGIMG_3902_(resized).JPG

Rubber mat pulled up and floor has been sanded
    IMG_3909_(resized).JPGIMG_3909_(resized).JPG

It appears that this game was the home for a loving mouse family. It would have been perfect as it's spacious, warm, and dark. Perfect place to poop. I've since blown the entire game out, vacuumed, and sanded what could be accessed.
    IMG_3905_(resized).JPGIMG_3905_(resized).JPG

There are (4) 6"x9" speakers in this game. I love it. The originals still look good! I wonder if anyone has ever put a sub in this game?
    IMG_3907_(resized).JPGIMG_3907_(resized).JPG

Finally, here's a few shots of the cab with everything removed:
    FullSizeRender_copy_2_(resized).jpgFullSizeRender_copy_2_(resized).jpg
    FullSizeRender_1_(resized).jpgFullSizeRender_1_(resized).jpg

That's enough for day one.

screenshot_(resized).jpgscreenshot_(resized).jpg

#3 8 years ago

:reserved:

#4 8 years ago

Sweet. Now you need an edot!!!

#5 8 years ago

SCORE !!!

#6 8 years ago

Grats and welcome to the SW Cockpit Club... if there is not one, we need to form one. I got mine years ago for what was then a steal. I just had to move it out of the guys basement, by myself, up the narrow steep concrete steps out to the back yard.

It wasn't easy, but I was much younger and very motivated.

PM me if you need pics of anything or looking for parts to put it back together. I have a stash of vector monitor stuff

#7 8 years ago
    Quoted from Saveleaningtower:

EDOT is ultra cool looking, but doesn't fill the "I love this game" category for me. That and a local friend of mine has an EDOT so I'm good!

#8 8 years ago
    Quoted from rbissett:

PM me if you need pics of anything or looking for parts to put it back together. I have a stash of vector monitor stuff

PM sent! Pumped to have a brother in this.

Gryszz, I need to have you over soon for brews and pins (and vice versa). PM me your cell and email?

#9 8 years ago

Keep us posted please!

#10 8 years ago

That is awesome! I looked everywhere for one of these when I started my Star Wars game dome project last summer -- they are really hard to find. (I wasn't going to turn it into the dome but put one next to it, so Old School vs New School)

Good Luck!

#11 8 years ago

WOW, the graphics look to be in very nice shape and colorful too. I'm gonna follow this thread. Congrats. I have a sit down Sega Daytona driving game, the one with the partial roll cage and it weighs a ton also, good thing they break apart in 2 pieces.

#12 8 years ago
    Quoted from MustangPaul:

good thing they break apart in 2 pieces.

I wish this game did that. More on this in an upcoming post...Ugh.

#13 8 years ago

This is awesome!

#14 8 years ago

This is going to be a sweet game when you get done with it!

Quoted from seshpilot:

EDOT is ultra cool looking, but doesn't fill the "I love this game" category for me. That and a local friend of mine has an EDOT so I'm good!

Besides, if he ever comes across one he's going to call me.

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

I wish this game did that.

If it did I new would not have had to cut up the one that got stuck in my bulkhead stairs so many years ago

#16 8 years ago
    Quoted from dothedoo:

This is going to be a sweet game when you get done with it!

Besides, if he ever comes across one he's going to call me.

Which game are you talking about, well, actually that doesnt matter. I can help you out with either here in Decatur. Having a EDOT and a couple star wars cockpits available here

#17 8 years ago

I was joking, actually. I was telling Sesh about how badly I wanted an EDOT, but I would have to cut it in half or build a walkout basement. I'd love to own one, but size and cost will probably prevent me from getting one.

#18 8 years ago

awesome score, and nice you have the room for it. Space is the biggest issue with these sit downs. Cabinet looks pretty good.

#19 8 years ago

Cool thread, a mate of mine has two of these he is restoring. I will pass this on to him, thanks for posting.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

I wish this game did that. More on this in an upcoming post...Ugh.

Yeah I noticed I was wrong about that, sorry.

#21 8 years ago

Cool thread.!

Cheers Wamprat..

I have two of these machines.. Eventually got the lead on one, realised he had two, so naturally took twice as much cash and negotiated a deal.! If you don't already know, there is a great Australian resource with heaps of information about Vector screens, kits etc.. I think Dez might post here, he certainly posts on KLOV

Linky if it works.. http://www.dsbelec.iinet.net.au/Dezs_LAI_B&W_Vector_Chassis_Page.htm

Have fun with the resto..

SW11_(resized).jpgSW11_(resized).jpg

#23 8 years ago

All in all looks to be in great shape and will clean up nicely!

In case it wasn't apparent, get all the Bob Robert's electrical components for this to bulletproof it.

Another VERY important detail is when you're discharging vector monitors, you just can't zap it to ground as you could damage the tube, there needs to be a large amount of resistance (1 Megaohm?) between the anode and ground. Look it up for more details.

#24 8 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

In case it wasn't apparent, get all the Bob Robert's electrical components for this to bulletproof it.

Yep, on the way.

Quoted from dudah:

Another VERY important detail is when you're discharging vector monitors, you just can't zap it to ground as you could damage the tube, there needs to be a large amount of resistance (1 Megaohm?) between the anode and ground. Look it up for more details.

Really glad you told me this. Thanks.

Quoted from woka:

I think Dez might post here, he certainly posts on KLOV

Yep, he's the guy I was referring to in an earlier post when I mentioned being concerned about my monitor. Love that dude.

Quoted from woka:

Have fun with the resto

When you start in yours, post a thread! I'd love to see what you're doing as well.

#25 8 years ago

Wow, that is awesome! Can't wait to see the next update pictures. I have actually played that exact Starwars cockpit in Peoria, IL when I was a kid. I grew up about 45 Min away from there. For birthday's we would go to that Chuck E Cheese or the Showbiz pizza in Joliet Illinois.

#26 8 years ago

How much does a working sw cockpit go for?

#27 8 years ago

heres mine, fully restored:

image_(resized).jpgimage_(resized).jpg

#28 8 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

heres mine, fully restored:

image_(resized).jpg

you taking offers? lol. i have a standup but this is my grail. if you had to throw a number out, what would it be to take this beauty off your hands?

#29 8 years ago

you taking offers? lol. i have a standup but this is my grail. if you had to throw a number out, what would it be to take this beauty off your hands?

it cost me 6500.00 to put this together plus it has a nos amplifone tube that cost me 750.00. this looks like new from the factory.
    when I die contact wifey I am sure she would sell it

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from Rickwh:

How much does a working sw cockpit go for?

about 4500-5500 in decent shape. you want the original 25 inch amplifone monitor if you get one.

#31 8 years ago
    Quoted from vster23:

Showbiz pizza in Joliet Illinois.

I actually lived there for a year as a kid (1987-1988) and went there all the time too! Small world.

#32 8 years ago

There's one of those cock pits at the State Museum downtown right now! (unless thats the one you bought.) I went this last weekend to go play their Retro Arcade that they put in the upper gift shop. But it was behind a temp wall, and not out to play.

But loved playing that game. My memory of it is from Showbiz Pizza.

#33 8 years ago
    Quoted from dudah:

bob roberts kit will not bulletproof it. Its just a good source to get a bunch of the parts you need. Plus you might want to get a kit from others that will use 105 caps. There are a bunch of upgrades you should do to it to make it more reliable. Plus you should also recap the pcb, ARII and replace big blue.

I don't want to hijack this thread, so I will only say if your looking for a 25" amp cockpit that never needed to be restored, I have one on the west coast. PM me.

#34 8 years ago

Just noticed that I'm missing a piece of the puzzle: the cheap black cardboard shroud/bezel that goes around the monitor behind the glass. Anyone got a source for this? It should look something like this:
    DSCF2799_(resized).JPGDSCF2799_(resized).JPG

#35 8 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

Gryszz, I need to have you over soon for brews and pins

How bout LSD and Atari 2600 ?

Just saw you have a Mystery Castle. Im knocking on yer front door right now...
    Sounds awesome, thanks for the invite !!

#36 8 years ago

This is badass. Played a stand-up this year at http://coinophof.com/ which blew me way back into the past, arcade near me as a kid had a cockpit. Pretty sweet score. My wallet could probably only withstand an Omega Race right now but I'd take it!

#37 8 years ago
    Quoted from robotron:

it cost me 6500.00 to put this together plus it has a nos amplifone tube that cost me 750.00. this looks like new from the factory.
    when I die contact wifey I am sure she would sell it

Robo how old are you so I know when to reach out to her? Lol. Btw, my wife will have all my stuff gone quick as soon as I croak.

#38 8 years ago

A friend of mine just bought one of these that has to be the mintiest original cabinet anyone has seen since the 80's. He paid too much for a project (i think). Only problem... after putting it together ... it looks like the tube has let the ghost out. It has that bright purple neck glow of death.

He plans to do the unimaginable... mame it. At the very least i talked him into leaving the original guts and harness alone in case a tube comes available.

#39 8 years ago

Robo how old are you so I know when to reach out to her? Lol. Btw, my wife will have all my stuff gone quick as soon as I croak.

gonna be 50 soon. so i hope it wont be for a while. i hid many prices of games from her over the years, she told me one day she knows what these things cost and she will travel around the world some day

#40 8 years ago
    Quoted from gooterman:

A friend of mine just bought one of these that has to be the mintiest original cabinet anyone has seen since the 80's. He paid too much for a project (i think). Only problem... after putting it together ... it looks like the tube has let the ghost out. It has that bright purple neck glow of death.
    He plans to do the unimaginable... mame it. At the very least i talked him into leaving the original guts and harness alone in case a tube comes available.

OH THE HORROR!

There are plenty of other cockpit cabs to mame out there.... tons of crappy driving games and such. Give your 'friend' my info... I can get him one and save that SW Cockpit !

#41 8 years ago

Nice Star Wars, Sesh. I'd love to play that one day. Funspot had one but it was turned off when I was there.

#42 8 years ago

If you're going to all that work, just go ahead and replace all the original speakers with new ones. (don't forget the one under the seat) The speakers shown in your pic are just 4 ohm 6x9's. I usually source replacements from Parts Express. Generally, I've found that unshielded speakers work fine unless they're literally right next to the monitor. New shielded speakers can be a challenge to find.

I've never pursued owning a SW cockpit - partially because they're a tight fit for someone over 6 feet tall, but mostly because I have a HUO SW upright.

My credentials for Atari vector game knowledge:
    http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/member_detail.php?member_id=381265

Good luck with the project!

#43 8 years ago

Great Thread. Looking forward to your updates.

#44 8 years ago
    Quoted from woody24:

There's one of those cock pits at the State Museum downtown right now! (unless thats the one you bought.) I went this last weekend to go play their Retro Arcade that they put in the upper gift shop. But it was behind a temp wall, and not out to play.
    But loved playing that game. My memory of it is from Showbiz Pizza.

That's too bad on the one at the State Museum. I just played it a few weeks ago after seeing Episode VII there in 2D 70mm. The owner of most of the games at the museum is a local from Indy, so hopefully it will be back up and running. They also had an upright SW cabinet downstairs near the entrance to the IMAX; but, it was out of commission each time I've been there.

I was lucky enough to grow up in a medium sized town that had 5 arcades at various points during the course of the 80's. We had a Showbiz; but, the real joy for me was the day a Bally's Great Escape opened literally across the street from our home.

Whomever says imprinting doesn't have an effect on humans didn't grow up in the golden day of arcades.

I still lust after that Environmental Discs of Tron that was just across the street. I've been close to owning one a few times; but most recently lost it on auction with a snipe bid in the last second. I've currently got my game room completely full and had to kick out my MAME cabinet to make more room for pins; but, I've got an upright and cocktail Asteroids Deluxe, a Defender, and Outrun that I need to find space to put somewhere. If I wasn't going to do a couple of pin restores this summer, I've been toying around about making small wall mounted cabinets to put on the walls in my game room to get the video games back in there.

#45 8 years ago

That's the first game to ever use speech synthesized directly from a movie.

There's your useless trivia of the day.

Pete

#46 8 years ago

I just played one for the first time a few weeks back.

I had had a few too many. When the speech came on and I heard "use the force, Luke," I just about lost my shit.

Very cool game.

#47 8 years ago
    Quoted from seshpilot:

I actually lived there for a year as a kid (1987-1988) and went there all the time too! Small world.

Then you have probably been to the Galaxy worlds arcades by Aurora ,Carol Stream and the Oddessy in Naperville. I would make a once a month journey to those arcades in the 90's. Ah those were the days!

#48 8 years ago

Great thread!

#49 8 years ago
    Quoted from mnrocketry:

If you're going to all that work, just go ahead and replace all the original speakers with new ones. (don't forget the one under the seat) The speakers shown in your pic are just 4 ohm 6x9's. I usually source replacements from Parts Express. Generally, I've found that unshielded speakers work fine unless they're literally right next to the monitor. New shielded speakers can be a challenge to find.
    I've never pursued owning a SW cockpit - partially because they're a tight fit for someone over 6 feet tall, but mostly because I have a HUO SW upright.
    My credentials for Atari vector game knowledge:
    http://www.arcade-museum.com/members/member_detail.php?member_id=381265
    Good luck with the project!

Do you know how to repair the monitor chassie board for Tempest. If so pm me. Thanks

#50 8 years ago

Restoration Entry Two:
    The restore is coming along nicely. Having removed all of the black hardware (bolts, screws, trim pieces, coin door, etc...), I've primed them and painted them black with enamel. Can't tell very well from this pic but they turned out beautiful.
    IMG_3919_(resized).JPGIMG_3919_(resized).JPG
    I've also started to dismantle the HV board. Very soon (waiting on parts), it will get new caps, new transformer, etc...
    IMG_3926_(resized).JPGIMG_3926_(resized).JPG
    As of today, these pieces are on their way:
    -new flyback for HV board
    -rebuild kit for monitor
    -rebuild kit for power board AR-II
    -new "Big Blue" for power supply at the bottom of the cabinet
    -new AVG chip, which is what produces the vector graphics on the game board
    -new power cord with ground
    -new yoke overlay from ThisOldGame.com
    -new plexi canopy pieces from ThisOldGame.com
    -new black matte vinyl for pieces that are beyond saving
    -new melamine board to reconstruct pieces that are beyond saving

In the meantime, I've discovered that these cockpits were not meant to be taken apart. The way they are constructed makes it incredibly difficult to actually remove pieces. Notice what Patonaud says here in an earlier thread post...

Quoted from Patofnaud:

If it did (come apart), I would not have had to cut up the one that got stuck in my bulkhead stairs so many years ago

I asked him about this and basically, he had to destroy his cockpit because it got stuck when he was trying to install it. Basically, Atari didn't want people deconstructing it and the way they assembled it makes it incredibly difficult to hack up. Unfortunately, I have no choice and need to get this thing a bit smaller and lighter because it's going in my basement. If I don't take the arches off, it will get stuck in my bulkhead just like Pat's did. So off to work we go...

Several of the screws were either stripped or stuck and I had to hack up the cab a bit to get them out. Fortunately, these screws were in the black border section of the artwork. I'll fix these spots later with bondo and paint.

In order to get the top arches off, I had to break a piece. No worry, I can recreate this later and the plan is to put back the arches in such a way that they can actually be removed later, should the game need to come out of the basement someday. For now, take a look at my special edition drop-top Star Wars...
    IMG_3916_(resized).JPGIMG_3916_(resized).JPG
    IMG_3917_(resized).JPGIMG_3917_(resized).JPG

Probably the biggest update to share however is akin to the saying "when it rains, it pours." While doing this restoration, a fellow Pinsider reached out to me (vidgameseller) and informed me that he had another SW cockpit that he was looking to get rid of. After a 6 hour round-trip yesterday, well...then there were 2...
    FullSizeRender_(resized).jpgFullSizeRender_(resized).jpg

Troy (vidgameseller) is a super cool guy and a standup seller. Incredibly honest, a true collector that cares about these games, and just an all-around asset to the hobby. Highly recommended.

The 2nd cockpit is in a little worse shape than the original one I started with (Troy said as much when we first communicated). It's ridonkulously dirty and needs a bit more cab work. That said, it's complete just like mine and has incredible potential to be brought back to life.

So why in the world would I buy 2?

A couple reasons:
    -I don't know a whole lot about vector games and the parts that aren't working on mine seem to be working on this 2nd one. Having another set of boards enables me to see what needs replacing and fixed.
    -Having a 2nd cab nearby that's assembled will help tremendously in reassembling mine.
    -I'm a sucker for original parts. While I think my monitor is going to be fine as a replacement (and is probably even newer), I'd prefer to have the original tube in my game (which this one has).
    -Who doesn't love road trips and getting to meet new friends in the hobby?!

When I'm done with my restore, I'm going to sell the 2nd SW cockpit as I refuse to hoard this incredible game. In the meantime, it'll serve nicely as a template!

-----------------------

Finally, just for kicks I thought I'd share these 2 historic photos of when George Lucas himself first got to play the game. Rumor has it that Atari gave him production sample #1, which sat for years at Lucasfilm. Apparently some of the tech geeks at Lucasfilm modded the game with a special button labelled "The Force" which allows you to advance frame-by-frame in the game, effectively making the later levels way easier via cheating. Steven Spielberg used to play this game when visiting Lucasfilm and ordered one for his home. When it arrived, he was confused and disappointed why the game didn't have "The Force" installed!

When Pixar joined forces with Lucasfilm under Disney's brand, the game went to the Pixar offices, where it now resides.
    star-wars-lucas-env-cabinet-2_(resized).jpgstar-wars-lucas-env-cabinet-2_(resized).jpg2yQyKig_(resized).jpg2yQyKig_(resized).jpg

There are 124 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1984-atari-star-wars-cockpit-restore and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.