(Topic ID: 50567)

1983 Joust Pin: Novus 2 + Novus 1 + Mill Wax = GOOD ?

By retired_user_101

10 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 28 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by vid1900
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic poll

“Do you recommend Mill Wax for playfield?”

• Yes 1 vote
    6%
  • No 17 votes
    94%

(18 votes by 0 Pinsiders)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

best-wax-evar-1080.jpg
joust_pic_2.jpg
playfield_-_1_side.jpg
#1 10 years ago

#2 10 years ago

Millwax isn't a wax, so if you want to clean with Novus and then wax it, that isn't what you will get.

I'd go with the Novus 2 and then a good automobile carnauba wax.

LTG : )

#3 10 years ago

Nice looking game. You should consider getting it restored by one of the Texas guys; that game is getting a lot of attention recently; I'd like a high end one in my collection one day.

#4 10 years ago

I would just go with Novus 2 and a good quality wax without additives. I would avoid Mill Wax as it leaves a film that will cause trouble if you ever have plans on getting the playfield touched up or clear coated... I am guessing that this is the Joust that was in Houston that was sold the other day... If it was, I have played many games on this Joust at the last few Houston Arcade Expo shows. I really want a Joust of my own but I am not willing to pay what the last few have gone for in Texas... I hope to see and play it again at the Houston Arcade Expo or at the Texas Pinball Festival some day...

#5 10 years ago

I would like a high end one in my collection years ago and still do =/

Congrats on the pickup.

#6 10 years ago

Novus 2 if necessary to get deep grime out then use a paste carnauba wax with no cleaners in it.

3 weeks later
#7 10 years ago

#8 10 years ago

millwax is garbage. And don't drop the bottle on the ground or you'll have a huge mess. Better than wildcat. That should be put in the trash as well.

#9 10 years ago

Fun game when you have people drop in, love mine. Anyone know how many were made with the blue/red plastics like the flyer? All I ever see is the black/red version.

http://www.ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=1316&picno=3714

#10 10 years ago

Get us some high quality updated pics! I really want one of these machines, keep me in mind if you ever decide to part with it so I can take a stab at it.

#11 10 years ago

TL25, are you talking to Brett or me?

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Get us some high quality updated pics! I really want one of these machines, keep me in mind if you ever decide to part with it so I can take a stab at it.

#12 10 years ago

Lovely machine! Once you go Carnauba you never look back! Now I only use Millwax for polishing plastics and metal, it does a great job of that!

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

TL25, are you talking to Brett or me?

Sorry BlownFuse, was talking to OP; he is a short hop, skip, and a jump away from my location (so I will never tell him I wish I was closer!).

#14 10 years ago

That's good, I'd have a real hard time convincing myself to sell mine. I hope one finds it's way to you.

Quoted from TigerLaw:

Sorry BlownFuse, was talking to OP; he is a short hop, skip, and a jump away from my location (so I will never tell him I wish I was closer!).

#15 10 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

That's good, I'd have a real hard time convincing myself to sell mine. I hope one finds it's way to you.

Nice collection of machines BlownFuse!!! I'm developing an odd appreciation for the mid-80's games. I say it is odd, because I really didn't play many mid-80's pins. Played some early 80's and then of course early to mid 90's, but kind of skipped ten years in the middle. My restorer in Texas just sourced a nice Sorcerer for me he is working on . . . will be my first 80's pin.

I'd like a Joust or top end Dungeons & Dragons one day as well.

#16 10 years ago

Thanks, I think it's odd for me as well, I'm a player from the EM era. There was a lot of innovative ideas implemented in the 80's to compete with the video game invasion, that's what interested me.

I guess there was no documentation on early vs. late production number Jousts, bummer. Joust is one of those simple games that are fun at parties, the game keeps calling you back for another try.

I hope you like Sorcerer, it's a game you don't see often and a good player for it's time too.

Nice collection of machines BlownFuse!!! I'm developing an odd appreciation for the mid-80's games. I say it is odd, because I really didn't play many mid-80's pins. Played some early 80's and then of course early to mid 90's, but kind of skipped ten years in the middle. My restorer in Texas just sourced a nice Sorcerer for me he is working on . . . will be my first 80's pin.
I'd like a Joust or top end Dungeons & Dragons one day as well.

#17 10 years ago

Joust is a very cool head to head pin!

9 months later
#18 10 years ago

#19 10 years ago

Personally I use carnauba car wax made by Mothers.

#20 10 years ago

#21 10 years ago

I use this one and can't complain

best-wax-evar-1080.jpgbest-wax-evar-1080.jpg
#22 10 years ago

#23 10 years ago

I only purchase products that support the Grid

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from retired_user_101:

this one?
Mothers 05550 California Gold Pure Brazilian Carnauba Wax Paste - 12 oz (Ultimate Wax System, Step 3)

I use 05500 California Carnauba Gold Cleaner Wax to be exact.

#25 10 years ago

#26 10 years ago

got it.
but mine doesn't have a Tron car on it
i got a granny-sedan... boo...

wax-1.jpg 79 KB

Same stuff anyways thats what I use works/looks great and has a nice scent to it as an added bonus.

#27 10 years ago

#28 10 years ago

will this carnauba stuff help with planking:

Planking is usually caused by the movement and hygroscopy of the wood.

The only real way to avoid it is to keep the game in a temperature controlled environment.

Games are sometimes ruined in a single season of being stored in a garage.

-

If the paint is at all chalky or flaky - don't wax it and certainly DON'T PLAY THE GAME!

You would at that point need to get a sealing clearcoat on the game to preserve it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 11.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Sellersville, PA
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 25.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1983-joust-pin-novus-2-novus-1-mill-wax-good-2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.