20220724_175841 (resized).jpg
20220724_175850 (resized).jpg
20220724_175856 (resized).jpg
20220724_175859 (resized).jpg
20220724_175904 (resized).jpg
20220724_184851 (resized).jpg
20220724_175920 (resized).jpg
20220724_175928 (resized).jpg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Unsure if I need to remove the backglass for transport and put it in a protected sleeve of some kind or should i leave it on when i fold the back ?

As long as there's nothing rubbing the back of the backglass keep it inside the head for transport.
The games were designed to be shipped freight and handled carelessly; I can't remember the last time I've seen/heard a backglass breaking inside the head.

#52 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

yes i have. of the ones i have watched the head is folded onto the play field glass protected by cardboard and shrink wrapped down.

I don’t think Defender has hinges, so just be aware that it can slide and the only limit is the wires. Ensure it doesn’t slide too far down and pull on the connectors. Bring some cardboard for the top as well as to protect the cabinet as you strap it down.

I use the little cardboard corners that many appliances come with, they work great and prevent the straps from digging into the cabinet and head.

Quoted from coolwhs:

As long as there's nothing rubbing the back of the backglass keep it inside the head for transport.
The games were designed to be shipped freight and handled carelessly; I can't remember the last time I've seen/heard a backglass breaking inside the head.

Defender is not the game you wanna handle carelessly. He’ll be stuck up a creek if the backglass breaks! You could wrap it in a towel if you want, but best bet is to just carefully set it on the floor in the back standing up. The back of the glass probably has the paint lifting after all these years so anything touching it may rub artwork off.
If it’s not flaking then wrapping it should be fine

#53 1 year ago

Heading down now to pick it up. I am sympathetic to the people who worry I will damage this rare pinball machine. However I believe these people underestimate my skill set. I am sure i can get the machine working and cleaned up.

BUT, I plan on drilling the lock and posting pics again. When i do that. I will accept offers for defender. The highest bid over 8k. The machine would need to be picked up by 7/26 (this tuesday) with cash. If no bids. I will bring it home and work to bring it to life. Then list again for higher price.

So if you don't want this "noob" to touch YOUR machine. Here might be your chance to stop it.

I will advertise it after the pics are taken. Or you can DM me now if you dont even want me drilling the lock..... location of machine is 30-40 minutes east of hartford CT......sorry no better warning than 2 days.

#54 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Heading down now to pick it up. I am sympathetic to the people who worry I will damage this rare pinball machine. However I believe these people underestimate my skill set. I am sure i can get the machine working and cleaned up.
BUT, I plan on drilling the lock and posting pics again. When i do that. I will accept offers for defender. The highest bid over 8k. The machine would need to be picked up by 7/26 (this tuesday) with cash. If no bids. I will bring it home and work to bring it to life. Then list again for higher price.
So if you don't want this "noob" to touch YOUR machine. Here might be your chance to stop it.
I will advertise it after the pics are taken. Or you can DM me now if you dont even want me drilling the lock..... location of machine is 30-40 minutes east of hartford CT......sorry no better warning than 2 days.

Amazed you didn’t take that 8 large and run. If something happens you’ll be kicking yourself and stuck empty handed!

You could get two great DMDs for that price.

Bird in the hand is worth two in the bush

#55 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Good luck

#56 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

You just don't get it. It does not matter if it works. It will change the offers you receive by exactly nothing. You spend $ on new boards and then it's probably mostly working... Anyone can do that and it may cost you 1500 for the boards and you sell it for what.. 9500? makes little sense unless you want to keep it... Cosmetic condition is king, working state is so easily resolved these days... adds little value on a rare machine.

#57 1 year ago
Quoted from snyper2099:

You just don't get it. It does not matter if it works. It will change the offers you receive by exactly nothing. You spend $ on new boards and then it's probably mostly working... Anyone can do that and it may cost you 1500 for the boards and you sell it for what.. 9500? makes little sense unless you want to keep it... Cosmetic condition is king, working state is so easily resolved these days... adds little value on a rare machine.

Dude won't listen. He thinks he knows more than everyone on here.

#58 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Well? It's been 2 days, lets see some pics.

#59 1 year ago
Quoted from jake35:

Dude won't listen. He thinks he knows more than everyone on here.

You dont know me. The last thing i think is that i know more than anyone here. I spent half my life afraid to try new things. Now after learning to do my own plumbing/electrical/electronics/computers/networking/programming/little carpentry/car repair etc. For the last half of my life i am not gonna be afraid to try new things. Its not arrogance its a sense of adventure and learning.
Some of you i have talked to for many hours for advice, bullshitting About life and being told there is plenty of friendly people on pinside who will help with advice etc, i feel confident to open the machine to at least post pics.
I had NO idea if the electonics were all chewed by mice. I didnt want to ask a price. have someone come and waste their time driving here and then run away because of the shape...it would waste your time..mine...and the admin of the estate who has to open to house and wait with me.
Also to the other post. I never said i got a bid of 8k.
Pics coming in few minutes. Woohoo no mice nest.

#60 1 year ago
imagejpeg_0(14) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(14) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(15) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(15) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(16) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(16) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(17) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(17) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(18) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(18) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_1(4) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_1(4) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_1(5) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_1(5) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_1(6) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_1(6) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_2 (resized).jpgimagejpeg_2 (resized).jpgimagejpeg_2(1) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_2(1) (resized).jpg
#61 1 year ago

Cabinet pics.

20220724_175649 (resized).jpg20220724_175649 (resized).jpg20220724_175657 (resized).jpg20220724_175657 (resized).jpg20220724_175841 (resized).jpg20220724_175841 (resized).jpg20220724_175850 (resized).jpg20220724_175850 (resized).jpg20220724_175856 (resized).jpg20220724_175856 (resized).jpg20220724_175859 (resized).jpg20220724_175859 (resized).jpg20220724_175904 (resized).jpg20220724_175904 (resized).jpg20220724_175920 (resized).jpg20220724_175920 (resized).jpg20220724_175928 (resized).jpg20220724_175928 (resized).jpg20220724_184851 (resized).jpg20220724_184851 (resized).jpg
#62 1 year ago

Why the dog pic you ask. Because shes awesome.

20201214_195151 (resized).jpg20201214_195151 (resized).jpg20220726_145126 (resized).jpg20220726_145126 (resized).jpg20220726_145133 (resized).jpg20220726_145133 (resized).jpg20220726_145142 (resized).jpg20220726_145142 (resized).jpg20220726_145154 (resized).jpg20220726_145154 (resized).jpg20220726_145159 (resized).jpg20220726_145159 (resized).jpg
#63 1 year ago

Anyone interested who can come pick it up TODAY in few hours from now 3pm est. with highest bid over 6k. Can own it.

#64 1 year ago

Sweet looking dog! Part Rottie or shepherd?

#65 1 year ago

German rott. She does the rottie rumble better than any rott ive seen. I love all dogs. But shes special.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#66 1 year ago

Pretty nice. Someone should be very happy…

#67 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Anyone interested who can come pick it up TODAY in few hours from now 3pm est. with highest bid over 6k. Can own it.

If I didn't already own one, I'd be standing there loading it in my SUV right now.

#68 1 year ago

Looks to be in alright shape all things considered, any more details on the backstory you can share? How did your folks end up with it, how long has it been sitting there untouched, such a rare find, I'm always curious to hear more if there are details to share. Condolences on your loss but glad you found your way to pinside, the game will really be appreciated by a collector one day if it is something you choose not to hang on to. All the best.

#69 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Why the dog pic you ask. Because shes awesome.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Better shape than I expected.

Weird that the pop caps have some sort of white overtaking them. Some sort of plastic mold? Cabinet looks beautiful, really nice!

Hopefully someone buys it and you can get yourself some nice projects or a great modern game with those funds. Then befriend the buyer and go visit the Defender when you want

#70 1 year ago

My mother passed ~3 months ago. One of my sisters had run a business which decades ago rented out entertainment items like those bounce houses (those inflatable houses kids jump in)... water dunk tanks....cotton candy machines...pinball machines...arcade machines. Stuff like that. To be honest im not sure why she gave it to my parents. I believe cause im one of 7 kids which means alot of grandkids. It was probably to keep the grandkids entertained... it was in the basement for 20 - 25 years.

#71 1 year ago

Is the game still in Connecticut or....?

John

#72 1 year ago

You should buy this game John Dayhuff. It’s a very fun to play.
Howie

#73 1 year ago

If all goes as planned it should be with its new owner tomorrow.

#74 1 year ago

Pinside member doghouse is now the new owner of the defender.

#75 1 year ago

Thank you anyone who offered advice or knowledge, love learning new things. Now you all can stop holding your breath !

Wife trusted me to fix the defender and knows I get obsessed with stuff once i get it in my head. So once we sort out life stuff she wants me to get another cheaper broke pin to fix. Isnt OCD fun.

#76 1 year ago

Everybody wins! A pinsider that I'll assume had probably wanted a Defender for a long time finally got one, a new member made a splash and found an awesome new hobby to be a part of, and I got a chance to dream about owning a Defender of my own someday

Congrats, guys!

#77 1 year ago

Cant wait till Im ready to buy another pin. then I can start a fight by asking which pinball machine is best.

#78 1 year ago

Get a Firepower. It's very similar to the Defender you've already opened up, it's a really fun game, they made a ton of 'em and they're reasonably cheap, and that System 6 interconnect crap will be a nice trial by fire

#79 1 year ago

All’s well that ends well. Thanks for keeping us posted…

#80 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Pinside member doghouse is now the new owner of the defender.

Thanks, again Ernie, for an easy transaction. I'd had my ad up on Pinside looking for a Defender for over 6 years (!). I took the ad down yesterday and paid the fee. I will post pics once the machine lands here and we have a chance to go through it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monrovia, MD
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1982-williams-defender-pinball-advice/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.