20220724_175841 (resized).jpg
20220724_175850 (resized).jpg
20220724_175856 (resized).jpg
20220724_175859 (resized).jpg
20220724_175904 (resized).jpg
20220724_184851 (resized).jpg
20220724_175920 (resized).jpg
20220724_175928 (resized).jpg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 1 year ago

I just came in possession of a 1982 Williams Defender Pinball machine. I just got ownership from my parents estate yesterday and looked up the machine and found out it is rare with only 369 produced. I live in another state and do not have the machine in my possession yet and have no way to verify its condition. I am told it does not start up. I have pictures and the glass top is very dirty, the play field has chips and or paint missing. I have computer/electronics experience and I am confident i can get the machine to function electronically. However I am not a collector and plan to sell the machine at some point.
My questions are, if i can clean the machine and get it working electronically what price range is something like that worth?
Also would it be worth it to take the whole machine apart to repair the playfield (and what should i expect to pay for a pro to redo the playfield?) and would that make economic sense to have a pro do the playfield, would the extra I could ask for by selling it. pay for me to send the playfield out to a pro or should i grab a paintbrush or sell as is ?
thanks for any advice.

#2 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

thanks for any advice.

Try and sell it where it is.

By the time you travel to get it, pay someone to do the playfield. And you'll likely need help with the electronics. You'll lose way more than you could ever sell it for.

Rare doesn't always mean valuable.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

Where is the game located?

John

#4 1 year ago

God I love defender, fun pin. If I came across it for a great price I’d fix it electronically and get it playing good. But just keep it at that, maybe worry about the playfield down the road. It’s probably not as gone as my current skateball lol.

#5 1 year ago

Connecticut right now

#6 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Gotta disagree with you there, in this case it absolutely does. Defender goes for Fathom kinda money, at least, and it's much harder to come by. Even if OP did a ground-up resto I think the worst he would do is break even.

#7 1 year ago

Defenders have fetched upwards of 10k for nice ones. RIP your inbox!

#8 1 year ago

I know nothing about pinball machines so I looked up pinball repair on youtube. Actually looks kinda fun to trace down problems with the electronics. I Can see why some get into repairing these machines.

#9 1 year ago

If the playfield is in great shape and cabinet is nice too, fully working you’re looking at about 6k imo.
If the pf has wear and cabinet had some damage and non working your looking 3k ish. Of course this is rough guess.

#10 1 year ago

Personally, I find this story a little fishy....Pinside often has new pop up accounts and trolling individuals.

Subjectivity aside, if this is all true, congrats on taking ownership of a rare title.
You will have many interested buyers, and certainly a bidding war on your hands. Let the new owners handle the restoration.

#11 1 year ago

Post the pics you have and watch the offers roll in.

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

I know nothing about pinball machines so I looked up pinball repair on youtube. Actually looks kinda fun to trace down problems with the electronics. I Can see why some get into repairing these machines.

It can be addicting. If you can tackle most of the work yourself, go for it !

#13 1 year ago

From above......Personally, I find this story a little fishy....Pinside often has new pop up accounts and trolling individuals.....
I dont blame you for watching out for scams. Btw i am asking for advice at this point because at minimum I will get its electronics running as i have experience there.
It may take me a month to even get physical possession of it. (I have legal rights to it). When I do make it run and try to sell. I would prefer any buyer picks it up and I would met them at a police station for mine and their protection. As far as being a troll, I dont understand why anyone would bother to troll this. Ok keep in mind this has not been cleaned one bit. I dont have alot of angles/ pics. But heres what I have.

20220519_133722 (resized).jpg20220519_133722 (resized).jpg20220519_133744 (resized).jpg20220519_133744 (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(8) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_0(8) (resized).jpgimagejpeg_1 (resized).jpgimagejpeg_1 (resized).jpg

#14 1 year ago

We have one individual in our community who often does things like this (Scam/troll)

A picture is worth a thousand words, you have provided as such. Congrats on a very sought after title!

Looking forward to seeing this story unfold.

Jim

#15 1 year ago

Clean it up and put it up for a best offer with an outrageous price. This is unfortunately how things work around here. This is the only was to establish "market" value, or to sift through and find that person(s) who want this in their collection bad enough. It is a rare and valuable title.

#16 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

From above......Personally, I find this story a little fishy....Pinside often has new pop up accounts and trolling individuals.....
I dont blame you for watching out for scams. Btw i am asking for advice at this point because at minimum I will get its electronics running as i have experience there.
It may take me a month to even get physical possession of it. (I have legal rights to it). When I do make it run and try to sell. I would prefer any buyer picks it up and I would met them at a police station for mine and their protection. As far as being a troll, I dont understand why anyone would bother to troll this. Ok keep in mind this has been cleaned one bit. I dont have alot of angles/ pics. But heres what I have.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Ohh pics. Yeah scams have been on the rise and with a new account can’t blame anyone for being suspicious. I’ve sold a few games and have never had to meet at police station just fyi. Seems unnecessary and problematic of turning the game on and testing it for the new buyer.

PF looks okay. I see some wear but not a lot. If you have the electric skills and aren’t in a hurry to liquidate assets try and get it running and cleaned.

#17 1 year ago

Haha i know showing it works at police station would be problematic but I also received a generator

Im most worried about the playfield. Around the holes the paint/varnish is chipped. I cant paint a house or wall and make it look right. I can image how id mess up such fine detail. I just want to know how to maximize what i can get, while NOT screwing up a rare collectable. So that playfield doesnt look as bad as i thought ?

#18 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Haha i know showing it works at police station would be problematic but I also received a generator
Im most worried about the playfield. Around the holes the paint/varnish is chipped. I cant paint a house or wall and make it look right. I can image how id mess up such fine detail. I just want to know how to maximize what i can get, while NOT screwing up a rare collectable. So that playfield doesnt look as bad as i thought ?

It’s common for a game that age… Without have touch up skills yourself, you’d spend more time and money than you’d recoup.

#19 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Connecticut right now

And once you have possession of it?

John

#20 1 year ago

Except that this title hasn't gone for less than 8k for at least two years now, as long as it hasn't been through a flood this game is very valuable.

Quoted from LTG:

Try and sell it where it is.
By the time you travel to get it, pay someone to do the playfield. And you'll likely need help with the electronics. You'll lose way more than you could ever sell it for.

#21 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Leave it like it is, we'll you might want to clean the glass.....LOL. With this sorta title it doesn't matter if the game is working or not, it will still bring the big money. The playfield has a little wear that we can see but again it's not going to hurt the value really, because of what it is. Whatever you do don't try to touch it up, just leave things alone and sell it like it is if it's not anything you want to keep for yourself. The rarity is what is going to sell the game, the cosmetics and electronics can be fixed by the new owner and you'll save yourself a lot of time and grief by just passing it along like it is. Trust me.

John

#22 1 year ago

The last three I've heard of went for 8-10k within the last two years and I don't think that any of them were restored being getting them playable.

Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

If the playfield is in great shape and cabinet is nice too, fully working you’re looking at about 6k imo.
If the pf has wear and cabinet had some damage and non working your looking 3k ish. Of course this is rough guess.

#23 1 year ago

I would not restore it.
Get it working and clean it up (yes), restore it (no).
Looks to be a nice survivor and it’s only original once.

#24 1 year ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

And once you have possession of it?
John

My plan is to get it home. Access the physical condition of the cabinet/glass/paint/wiring.etc.....
Research a little for best way to clean cabinet/paint/glass etc without damaging things.
I am told it doesnt power up. I will figure out why and solve the issue. Then access how many if any devices on the playfield malfunction, and try to fix them.
Then i will most likely try for a bidding war without repainting cabinet or playfield if they do need them.
But plans rarely survive first contact with the enemy.

#25 1 year ago

If you don’t get the keys then be careful drilling out the locks. Don’t do something stupid like going at it with a crowbar. That playfield doesn’t look bad, and most collectors won’t want the paint touched up. Get a rubber ring kit for it, wipe it down fix the electronics and call it a day

#26 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

My plan is to get it home. Access the physical condition of the cabinet/glass/paint/wiring.etc.....
Research a little for best way to clean cabinet/paint/glass etc without damaging things.
I am told it doesnt power up. I will figure out why and solve the issue. Then access how many if any devices on the playfield malfunction, and try to fix them.
Then i will most likely try for a bidding war without repainting cabinet or playfield if they do need them.

I think John meant, where is home?

#27 1 year ago
Quoted from poppapin:

I think John meant, where is home?

Haha sorry Vermont
Found another pic from other side.

20220519_134324 (resized).jpg20220519_134324 (resized).jpg
#28 1 year ago
Quoted from Coindork:

I would not restore it.
Get it working and clean it up (yes), restore it (no).
Looks to be a nice survivor and it’s only original once.

This is correct. It should really just be carefully cleaned up and repaired. Nice survivor condition means something especially for this game.

#29 1 year ago

Good luck. I'm sure you'll make out fine on this deal.

Pinside will be a good place for you to sell when you're ready. I agree that you're probably better off not doing much to it.

Quoted from Pballnewb:

Then i will most likely try for a bidding war...

IMO, it's one thing to have this approach, but it's another to be this overt here in this community where you are trying to get help. You never know who's reading. For example, I'm in Vermont. I know a lot of pinball techs here, at least relative to how many there are in this state.

#30 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Not questioning your ability to fix things, but why go through the trouble if your just going to sell it?
Having never worked on a pinball machine before you’re starting from scratch and will likely be spending may hours trouble shooting, ordering parts, researching online, posting in forum threads etc. etc.
I’m not sure you’re going to get that much more for it working then you will for it as is now in a sort of “barn find fresh” sort of state. You also risk fucking something up once you start working on it and decreasing the value.

#31 1 year ago

Whatever you do, do not try to touch up or repaint anything. If not done professionally, these repainted areas will most likely look bad and will probably detract from the value of your machine. It’s best to either leave the paint job as is or get a professional restorer to do it (which may take a while. Mechanical and electrical repairs can be done with a learning curve and can be a fun/satisfying process.

#33 1 year ago

In order to restore a playfield properly, you have to remove every single component. It's a daunting task for me still and I've done it many times.

And that's just the start. In order to restore a machine properly, you'll likely need carpentry skills, will have to refinish metal (often re-plating or powdercoating), be able to diagnose and solder many components, do some paint matching in the cabinet and clean many parts in various ways (tumbling, ultrasonic, hand cleaning).

You'll also be searching for some parts that are very hard if not impossible to find.

For those of us that can restore a game, it's a rewarding experience - but just be aware that it requires 40-80 hours of work and $3-5k in parts. If that sounds like fun - go for it! There's lots of great advice and how-to's here on Pinside.

If that doesn't sound like fun - list it for $6k and don't lift a finger. The buyer will happily pick it up at your house.

#34 1 year ago

Not that I am even close to being in the running for this machine but if I was I’d be cringing at every single mention of repair and restoration being mentioned by the OP. Even using the wrong cleaners will cause unnecessary damage that WILL cause a loss in value.

It’s one thing to take an honest interest in pinball restoration but to just conquer something because it’s there should be saved for a hike in the Green Mountains.

Do everyone a favor and just sell it for good money and no effort. Everybody wins…

#35 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Haha sorry Vermont
Found another pic from other side.[quoted image]

Defender is not a good place to practice your first repairs just because you inherited this machine.
Most likely the batteries have leaked and destroyed the boards, and the glass is so dirty it makes me wonder if perhaps there’s a mouse nest or something.

As it sits, you’d get a very fair price soliciting offers in its current condition, and you could buy some decent machines if you’d like to get into pinball.

Defender is awesome and very fun, but as stated, only a very select few people should even be considered to restore this. A large amount of those “pinball restoration” companies are ran by clowns and jackasses who do horrible work and hack machines for a quick buck.

You’ll probably get offers north of several grand. Take them, buy a cool machine to learn on.

#36 1 year ago

Saddening that someone had to pass away for this to become a conversation piece.

Definitely excited for you, and VERY jealous. What a "barn find"! That game will restore nicely in the right hands.
Lots of updates please,

Jim

#37 1 year ago

I will post updates when i get more info. I hope to pick up defender in 2-6 weeks. Depending on certain factors.
Some things i have learned since investigating this machine. (I have not verified these).
The defender pinball playfield is the most populated in history. Also
Defender pinball was made about the time video games started coming out, and defender was an attempt to fuse the pinball and video game experience.
Not happy how the machine came into my possession. I do love to learn though, about all kinds of things, and this has given me a needed distraction and i have learned alot about the pinball machines and video games i used to play in the arcades.
Decades later and i still think about playing missile command or dig dug or defender on the Atari 2600.

1 week later
#38 1 year ago

Found out the keys were not found for the coin door. Is there a set of master keys that will fit any 82 williams coindoor i can purchase? or do I have to drill or open it some other way?
Thanks

#39 1 year ago

Probably have to drill it. It's easy.

#40 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Is there a set of master keys that will fit any 82 williams coindoor i can purchase?

No.

Not to mention during it's life it may have had the lock replaced.

#41 1 year ago

Do you have experience with drilling locks? Just the centre, not too much don’t damage the cabinet a new lock will be just a couple bucks.

#42 1 year ago

As someone who buys and sells games somewhat regularly I'd strongly recommend against doing anything to the game if you're going to sell it.
Anyone seriously interested in your game won't care about whether it works or not or any existing damage to original paint.
It's really easy to screw up restoring a game like this and lose $1000+.
This is like a barn find car with original paint; if you're going to sell it just leave it alone.

#43 1 year ago

It’s working state and even condition are really not that important. The right money will come
along easily and quickly on this if you just sell
it as-is. If you attempt to work on it (or even move it your self) more harm than good is almost a certainty based on your statements thus far.

4 weeks later
#44 1 year ago

Finally I will be able to get into the house and gain possession this coming week. I will have to drill out the lock to prep it for moving. Unsure if I need to remove the backglass for transport and put it in a protected sleeve of some kind or should i leave it on ?

I will post more pics when I'm down there sun/mon/tues and get the lock off.

#45 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Finally I will be able to get into the house and gain possession this coming week. I will have to drill out the lock to prep it for moving. Unsure if I need to remove the backglass for transport and put it in a protected sleeve of some kind or should i leave it on ?
I will post more pics when I'm down there sun/mon/tues and get the lock off.

The head has to be removed to transport it, otherwise it’ll probably get ripped right off and destroy the machine.
Legs come off as well.

Do you have any local Pinheads who can give you a hand? Have you watched videos on how to breakdown a pin for proper transport?

#46 1 year ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

The head has to be removed to transport it, otherwise it’ll probably get ripped right off and destroy the machine.
Legs come off as well.
Do you have any local Pinheads who can give you a hand? Have you watched videos on how to breakdown a pin for proper transport?

yes i have. of the ones i have watched the head is folded onto the play field glass protected by cardboard and shrink wrapped down.

#47 1 year ago

Unsure if I need to remove the backglass for transport and put it in a protected sleeve of some kind or should i leave it on when i fold the back ?

#48 1 year ago
Quoted from Pballnewb:

Unsure if I need to remove the backglass for transport and put it in a protected sleeve of some kind or should i leave it on when i fold the back ?

I would remove it, and IMO a sleeve isn't necessary, but be super careful with it. Don't let anything touch the back side. Early solid state games, especially Williams, had foam insulators and sometimes even wires around the displays that pressed up against the rear of the backglass, so there's a very real chance that the vibrations during transport could cause rubbing that would wear artwork off the rear of the backglass if you kept it in the head. Been there twice. If this were my rare game and it was a couple dozen miles away or less, I'd make a separate trip just for the backglass if necessary.

#49 1 year ago

Another lock to drill. Good thing it’s easy. Your not looking to drill thru. Go slow the metal is soft. What your hoping for is to create a space that the tumbler pins can pop out and release and tumbler can turn. Sometimes it will turn while your drilling. Just center the bit and go slow. I think I’ve used a bit sized around 5/16” with good success. Can always go larger after. If done right there should not even be any shavings inside the machine. Just don’t go screwing that gem of a game up. We will never let you live it down…. Lol

#50 1 year ago

And if your laying head down secure with strap not too tight. Don’t let the head be able to slide along side rails it will put strain on wiring harness. Secure it from moving somehow.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.50
Lighting - Led
RoyGBev Pinball

Tools
Pincoder Store

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Monrovia, MD
$ 65.00
Boards
Pinball Haus

There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1982-williams-defender-pinball-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.