View topic image gallery

image.jpg
IMG_0162.jpg
IMG_0161.jpg
IMG_0163.jpg
IMG_0164.jpg
IMG_0165.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Got a seller with a Stern Lightning willing to sell it at $500. Says everything works. He's sent some pics as well I could post here.

This would be my first machine, what are your opinions?

#2 8 years ago

Fun game! Is if it's complete and it works it's a good price.

#3 8 years ago

I'd buy it most likely unless it's a complete disaster. If the backglass is good and the playfield has most of the art, that sound like a great deal.

#4 8 years ago

Lightning is a brutal game. One of the better 80's Sterns in my opinion. Well worth the $500 in decent condition.

#5 8 years ago

Great! Thanks for the advice! The seller said the backglass was in rough shape. The machine is about 45 minutes away from me, not a big deal. Let me post some pics here.

IMG_0165.jpgIMG_0165.jpg

IMG_0164.jpgIMG_0164.jpg

IMG_0163.jpgIMG_0163.jpg

IMG_0161.jpgIMG_0161.jpg

IMG_0162.jpgIMG_0162.jpg

#6 8 years ago

Lightning is one of the higher production games from what I understand and it isn't a really compelling title; you might have a hard time reselling it if it's not in pretty good shape. It's not one I would put work into and expect my money back out.

That said, $500 is a pretty good deal if it's actually all working. It's a reasonably fun game despite the crazy multiball lock stealing and wicked hard ramps. The boards are probably worth that much if they're in Working condition.

Edit- I was thinking flash, not lightning. Lightning is a lower production game. I've enjoyed playing it on rout locally. $500 is about what it usually sells for on eBay according to bostonpinball.

#7 8 years ago

I'd buy it!

#8 8 years ago

Steal - jump before someone else does.

#9 8 years ago

John Greatwich sells a fantastic repro backglass for Lightning; I bought one for mine and it looks like NOS.

#10 8 years ago

^ good to know!

#11 8 years ago

buy and sell it to me

#12 8 years ago

I would buy that without even turning it on.

#13 8 years ago

I love mine. Watch for lifting inserts mine had a lot of those. A $12 harbor freight c-clamp and some epoxy fixed them all though. I also bought a new new light board because LEDs have a weird flickering in this game.

My back glass was pretty bad and I seriously need a new one. I need to find this john great which and get one.

I also bullet proofed mine according vids guide. It has been on location for over a month and had zero problems.

Super fun and very brutal. For $500 I'd grab it right away.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I also bought a new new light board because LEDs have a weird flickering in this game.

all this vintage bally/stern flicker with leds unless you get a new style board or get some resistors installed for each lamp using a few different methods.

#15 8 years ago

Oh ya here is a picture of mine when I finished. I added an led by the hole where the ball falls from the upper playfield to the lower playfield, and one at the bottom of the playfield in the outhole.

image.jpgimage.jpg

#16 8 years ago

I'd probably jump at it.

Good luck

#17 8 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

I need to find this john great which and get one.

Greatwhichjohn here on pinside

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Okarcades:

Oh ya here is a picture of mine when I finished. I added an led by the hole where the ball falls from the upper playfield to the lower playfield, and one at the bottom of the playfield in the outhole.

image.jpg

Nice looking pin mate! Great job! I love the Classic Sterns~SpOoKy

1 month later
#19 8 years ago

I was gonna pick this machine up over the weekend but fumbled the timing and will be doing it this coming weekend.

Any big things to look out for? This would be my first machine. Thanks for all your input!

#20 8 years ago

I bought a Stars for my first machine for $150. It only had the lamp board and I still need to fix the rectifier board. My advice is turn the game on, play through a game listening for the sounds and note any mechs that don't work. $500 is a decent price for a fun game but if you can talk him down $50 because a flipper don't work or something similar, that's $50 you can put back into the game. Great find and good luck.

1 week later
#21 8 years ago

Well I decided to completely bypass this game and to buy a Firepower II. The seller was about 3 hours away. But, this machine had more going on and more done to it. New flipper coils, led's, has a speech board!

#22 8 years ago

I hope the firepower 2 was 500 or less. Have fun with it. Lightning is pretty special in my book.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Malboro, NJ
$ 12.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 125.00
$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 199.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1981-stern-lightning-1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.