Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 10.03.55 PM (resized).jpg
Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 10.03.55 PM (resized).jpg
#1 5 years ago

I'm curious why the 1984 version of Eight Ball Deluxe is worth considerably more than the original 1981 version ? Wasn't the '84 version built with particle board ? I would think the '81 would be valued higher.

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 10.03.55 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2018-05-29 at 10.03.55 PM (resized).jpg

#2 5 years ago

It’s not. The 1981 is most sought after by collectors.

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from Blitzburgh99:

It’s not. The 1981 is most sought after by collectors.

So, I guess Pinside is wrong

Screen Shot 2018-05-29 at 10.03.55 PM (resized).jpgScreen Shot 2018-05-29 at 10.03.55 PM (resized).jpg

#4 5 years ago

I think many Pinsiders are linking the wrong game in the database when they list it for sale.

#5 5 years ago

81 is worth way more, try selling an 84 and see what people say.

#6 5 years ago

I got a CHERRY 84 EBD for less than a beater 81 EBD. Same game, looks like crap lol

#7 5 years ago

81 is the only way to roll

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Multiple times every hour

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from seeburg220:

Pinside formula for price estimate takes the average of ads that have been listed for a game. The 1984 version only has 13 total archived ads and 1 current ad. The current ad is a restored 1981 that is linked to the 1984 game, and it’s listed at $4500. That will make the overall estimate totally inaccurate for a 1984.

Other archived ads include listings up to $3000, but not always sure what they exactly sold for. With a low number of ads for the game, it just takes 2-3 high original posted prices to skew the entire data set. And condition is not factored in, either.

1981 is most desired by collectors. Me, personally, I like the color scheme of the black apron and black backbox trim of the 1984 over the yellow of the 1981. Plus, the light boards are more modern than the older style light sockets. I’d pay an extra buck or two for a mint 1984 if I ran across one. But not everyone would.

#10 5 years ago

It’s wrong. With both versions in the exact same condition, the 81 game is worth more.

#11 5 years ago

Can someone describe what exactly is more desired in 81 version? Just interested.

#12 5 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

Can someone describe what exactly is more desired in 81 version? Just interested.

Personally I like the classic square head and didn’t like the wedge shaped head...also that made the overall backglass and picture smaller I think.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from spinal:

81 is the classic Bally style everything. It is also full wood and the OG.

I would say from most to least desirable is the 81 > then the 82' EBDLE (the smaller head style used in CentaurII and Rapid Fire) > then the 84' remake particle board version with oddball head.

#14 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

81 is the classic Bally style everything. It is also full wood and the OG.
I would say from most to least desirable is the 81 > then the 82' EBDLE (the smaller head style used in CentaurII and Rapid Fire) > then the 84' remake particle board version with oddball head.

Disagree with that. I’ve sold both the 84 and 82 games in the past and always had a harder time selling the 82 LEs and they always sold for less then the 84. Most people just can’t get past how ugly the LE is.

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Disagree with that. I’ve sold both the 84 and 82 games in the past and always had a harder time selling the 82 LEs and they always sold for less then the 84. Most people just can’t get past how ugly the LE is.

interesting. I actually like the 82'LE version for the full wood/solid construction. I also like the unique head design since it stands out in a collection and in some vehichles you can move it with the head on. I think the cab gold paint is the best of the bunch on the 82LE. The biggest bummer is missing out on the full size and awesome backglass.

The particle board on the 84 is just junk

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

The particle board on the 84 is just junk

Not to mention the flush mount corners too. But most regular Joe Pinball buyers will go for the large backglass over the small one all the time. There not concerned about what the cab is made of. I’ve sold two LE’s and have another one that I’ve been trying to sell for $1600 and no takers. Sold my last CE for $1800 in a week. Still trying to get a 81 myself.

#17 5 years ago

It seems like most people want the original in the classic Bally cabinet. I've worked on quite a few and I've only ever really wanted the original.

The ONLY thing I like about the later releases are the lamp PCB's. You COULD convert the 81 game to use them but you have to terminate all the harness plugs. Time consuming.

2 months later
#18 5 years ago

If anyone has a mint 1984 EBD that’s looking for a good home, PM me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 90.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 859.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Mesa, AZ
$ 10.00
Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 179.00
$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Electronics
Retro Electro Designs

$ 15.00
Hardware
Volcano Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Other
Volcano Pinball

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Forest City, PA
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 25.00
Cabinet Parts
Volcano Pinball

11,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Homer Glen, IL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1981-ebd-vs-1984-ebd-prices?hl=srcdube and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.