Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 88 posts
  • 45 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by merfeldma
  • Topic is favorited by 6 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

36172267-A102-405E-9010-6DD1FFAEF164 (resized).jpeg
    download (resized).jpg
    flake (resized).jpg
    delorian (resized).jpg
    7B6B2DD6-2314-4864-AE08-4B68817E3BFA.gif
    IMG_3245 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3246 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3244 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3243 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3242 (resized).JPG
    IMG_3240 (resized).JPG
    83FCD8F8-2EFC-499E-9648-1AD306528856 (resized).jpeg
    3B7F9BA7-AD4A-4407-8887-0C9A61379D6E (resized).jpeg
    pasted_image (resized).png
    F1557B67-16A8-4FF3-8CAB-010B6388ED5B (resized).jpeg
    image (resized).jpg

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 3 years ago

ARCHIVED

Archived ad

Pinside keeps a record of old ads in its Market Archive, for historical purposes and as a price reference. This ad has been ended by its seller and is now archived.

Other items - for trade

FS: 1981 DeLorean Manual Transmission

Added: 2020-05-27 17:31:30 UTC • Ended: July 5th, 2020

Price

Trade
    Listed at $ 28,000

Throwing out the idea of listing my 1981 DeLorean on Pinside for trade on multiple pins, cash offers will also be considered. Purchased the car from a dealership in WI and cleaned the fuel system completely out and only running ethanol-free gas since then. In 2020 had the fuel distributor rebuilt by DMC-Midwest, all new spark plug wires, new plugs, new distributor cap, new door light assemblies. Newer tires and brakes installed by the previous owner.
    Mileage is unknown due to the speedometer being changed out by the previous owner to the upgraded 140mph version over the stock 85mph. I will update photos over the weekend since some things are being worked on at the moment.
    Items to address: Car starts cold very well, after idling for an extended period of time it occasionally misses on a cylinder which may indicate the need for replacing a fuel injector.
    Title is clean, no accidents reported.
    Looking for multiple pin trade offers or cash offers. Please no lowball, the car in it's present state is estimated between $25-30k.

Item photos

1517423317 (resized).jpg
    1517423319 (resized).jpg
    1517423321 (resized).jpg
    1517423327 (resized).jpg
    1517423345 (resized).jpg
    1517423353 (resized).jpg
    DriversSide (resized).jpg

Photos not showing? Make sure your ad blocker plugin is not hiding them.

Contact

Note! This is an archived ad. No longer for sale!

Seller insights

These are merfeldma's market stats.

All ads

Archived ads

Success

Feedback score

100.0%

Go to merfeldma's stats page

Listing result

The seller ended this ad and submitted the final sales price into our price database but opted not to disclose the price publicly.

Item location

Oronoco, MN, US

#2 3 years ago

You mean I can trade AFM, LOTR, GB Premium and MM for this? I'm in!

Tough to get them from SF area to you however...

Great car and a thought provoking idea!

#3 3 years ago

NICE!!!
    Happy you are really far away from me.
    GLWS!

#4 3 years ago
    Quoted from jbovenzi:

You mean I can trade AFM, LOTR, GB Premium and MM for this? I'm in!
    Tough to get them from SF area to you however...
    Great car and a thought provoking idea!

Never say never, shippers go both ways.

#5 3 years ago

Where’s the aprons?

#6 3 years ago

Pic of the shooter lane pls.

#7 3 years ago

As a fellow owner, I always wondered if someone might try this. I think CaptainNeo here once had interest in purchasing mine. You might wanna reach out to him and see if he'd be interested.

Is it currently with DMCMW? They are great people and I all my parts/toys from there.

Any particular reason you're ready to let it go? Simply my curiosity as it would take like, the end of the universe, for me to let go of mine.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#8 3 years ago

Love this car! I owned one for a couple years and regret selling it.

Don't let someone low ball ya by trying to offer a NIB Pirates CE for it lol.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

As a fellow owner, I always wondered if someone might try this. I think CaptainNeo here once had interest in purchasing mine. You might wanna reach out to him and see if he'd be interested.
    Is it currently with DMCMW? They are great people and I all my parts/toys from there.
    Any particular reason you're ready to let it go? Simply my curiosity as it would take like, the end of the universe, for me to let go of mine.
    [quoted image]

It's in the garage with my other right now. If I were keeping it I would get it down to DMC Midwest and have Mike give it a good and thorough once over to get everything running like a top. Looking to sell because I stumbled upon another one with all the features I wanted. In 2014 the original owner had a frame off restoration done by DMC FL (NOS frame replacement, performance exhaust, Stage II engine, Eibach lowered suspension, and all original rubbers etc replaced).
    The original owner had all service records, window sticker, etc... going back to 1982 when he bought it new. Couldn't turn it down, but sadly it means getting rid of the DeLorean I listed. Still working on my wife to let me keep both, but I don't think she'll change her mind anytime soon. Can't see myself selling my other one any time soon, it was a dream for over 20 years. While not a performance sports car you get more smiles out of people when you drive by than any other car I've driven.

IMG_1121 (resized).jpgIMG_1121 (resized).jpg
    #10 3 years ago

renault or ford engine ?

#11 3 years ago

Heavy! I live relatively close to a DMC .. one of these days ..

#12 3 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

renault or ford engine ?

I think you mean PRV ,(Peugeot,Renault,Volvo) or Ford? I used to work on them. GLWTS.

#13 3 years ago

what all are you looking for, your wishlist isnt very big

#14 3 years ago

The best looking DeLorean I ever saw was painted glossy black. That would of been 1985 in Tallahassee Fl.

#15 3 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

renault or ford engine ?

Renault V6

#16 3 years ago

I love how much crossover there is between Delorean owners and pinball / arcade community.
    My 1981 automatic indirectly led me into the hobby.

Delorean (resized).jpgDelorean (resized).jpg
    #17 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tilt:

what all are you looking for, your wishlist isnt very big

All games up for consideration. Don’t want to limit the offers. If there are some in the batch I’m n interested in can always sell or trade.

#18 3 years ago

Hands down one of the coolest cars I’ve ever seen. If we weren’t adding 1,000 square feet to the house this month, I might actually do this!

#19 3 years ago

Where the Mezelmods flux capacitor?
    Nice car , just watched Driven interesting back story

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

renault or ford engine ?

DeLoreans never came with a Ford engine. You're thinking the Bricklin SV1 that had a 351 Windsor.

They all came with a "French Vovlo" engine known as Renault, but it was a collaborative effort, hence the PRV as mentioned earlier.

Then you have the engine swap guys (I am one of them) who aim for something with a lil' more pick up and go....

Quoted from merfeldma:

...you get more smiles out of people when you drive by than any other car I've driven.[quoted image]

I'll vouch for that. Going on 17 years with mine, and the reactions can be over the top/almost dangerous. In terms of attention, you will own nearly ANY cruise in you go to. Ford GT? Lambo this or that? Ferrar...what? The DeLorean simply kills it at any show. It is by far and wide the "public Joe"'s most favorite car.

#21 3 years ago

DeLorean has a lot of the same appeal as magic girl...

Costs a ton of money, rare, created by a criminal, looks cool, doesn’t work...

#22 3 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

renault or ford engine ?

sorry yeah thinking that other gull wing car

#23 3 years ago

Too bad it wasn’t an automatic.

#24 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

DeLoreans never came with a Ford engine. You're thinking the Bricklin SV1 that had a 351 Windsor.
    They all came with a "French Vovlo" engine known as Renault, but it was a collaborative effort, hence the PRV as mentioned earlier.
    Then you have the engine swap guys (I am one of them) who aim for something with a lil' more pick up and go....

I'll vouch for that. Going on 17 years with mine, and the reactions can be over the top/almost dangerous. In terms of attention, you will own nearly ANY cruise in you go to. Ford GT? Lambo this or that? Ferrar...what? The DeLorean simply kills it at any show. It is by far and wide the "public Joe"'s most favorite car.

Dude, holy shit! Is that your whip? Looks like an in-line 6? Watching it from my phone, I could’ve swore I saw 6 legs on the intake manifold.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from Md2020:

Dude, holy shit! Is that your whip? Looks like an in-line 6? Watching it from my phone, I could’ve swore I saw 6 legs on the intake manifold.

It is. Engine-swapped a VR6 into it (single head with cylinders 15 deg off center left to right of the single head so like a "hyrbid" inline 6). Swapped the automatic for a 5-speed manual as well.

Very fun to drive. Has the speed the looks suggest now ; ).

DM me if you want to chat about it more so to not take away from the OP ; ).

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

DeLorean has a lot of the same appeal as magic girl...
    Costs a ton of money, rare, created by a criminal, looks cool, doesn’t work...

LOL, but unlike Magic Girl, has been improved in the intervening years! Also, did a MG ever show up with a big bag of cocaine hidden under the play field?

#27 3 years ago

Please tell me you made a trade work. Please tell us. thats awesome

#28 3 years ago

I maybe being dumb, I work on mostly carbureted vehicles, have a 46 Jeep and 80 Mazda RX7, I leave my daily driver to a mechanic if anything comes up.

What exactly is a fuel distributor???

Were DeLoreans fuel injected?

I am not trying to bust on you, just asking an honest question.

#29 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bull:

It's the first generation of what would become the flux capacitor.

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bull:

I maybe being dumb, I work on mostly carbureted vehicles, have a 46 Jeep and 80 Mazda RX7, I leave my daily driver to a mechanic if anything comes up.
    Were DeLoreans fuel injected?
    I am not trying to bust on you, just asking an honest question.

http://support.delorean.com/kb/a59/fuel-distributor.aspx

#31 3 years ago

So similar to a high pressure fuel pump on my dodge Cummings?

Was DeLorean the only one that used this type of system???

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from Bull:

It's a high pressure CIS fuel pump. It works like an ignition distributor in that it runs in a circular pattern for each cylinder. It is a manual pressure based injection system (not electronic).

Quoted from Bull:

Was DeLorean the only one that used this type of system???

No, a lot of European cars used this type of injection system in the 80s. Volkiswagen/Porche/Audi is a good example. The fuel injection systems now are way better!

#33 3 years ago

That's a great price in today's market. If this wasn't already sitting in my garage I'd be interested.

IMG_3569 (resized).JPGIMG_3569 (resized).JPG
    #34 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinBackpacker:

That's a great price in today's market. If this wasn't already sitting in my garage I'd be interested.
    [quoted image]

Yeah I need to come visit you

#35 3 years ago

A couple people have mentioned automatics - out of curiosity, if you're buying a DeLorean why would you buy anything but a standard? Seems like it kind of defeats the purpose (which we all know is to relive our BTTF fantasies). Of course it makes sense if you can't drive a standard, or if the only deals you find are automatics .. just curious who is buying those.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from whthrs166:

It's a high pressure CIS fuel pump. It works like an ignition distributor in that it runs in a circular pattern for each cylinder. It is a manual pressure based injection system (not electronic).

No, a lot of European cars used this type of injection system in the 80s. Volkiswagen/Porche/Audi is a good example. The fuel injection systems now are way better!

And when it doesn't work, it is a pain in the fucking ass. That's how my engine swap originally started. It was going to be an EFI swap alone, but then we started getting really into it and well......yep ; ).

That is 40+ year old technology, severely outdated, and parts are expen$ive. $500 for the fuel distributor, $75 PER injector (*6), $275 for a warmup regulator....yeesh.

As stated above, a lot of different cars had them, most notably the 80s Ferraris. Yep, the Magnum PI style Ferrari as well as the venerable Testarossa both had this mechanical K-Jetronic fuel injection system (or variations of it).

Cold start valve on both cars:

DeLorean Engine Bay (resized).jpgDeLorean Engine Bay (resized).jpg Testarossa Engine (resized).jpgTestarossa Engine (resized).jpg

And the air mixture unit on both cars. This normally mates to the aforementioned fuel distributor (the "spider" in both pictures):

DeLorean MCU (resized).PNGDeLorean MCU (resized).PNG Testarossa - MCU (resized).pngTestarossa - MCU (resized).png

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Yeah I need to come visit you

When you do, please don't make any cocaine references. They weren't "drug fronting" cars, there was never cocaine found anywhere in any DeLorean ever from the factory, and it really keeps "spreading the misinformation" for almost 40 years now.

You might be joking, but please understand, it can be a real source of annoyance to DeLorean owners. Please help stop the spread of misinformation.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from LeChuck:

A couple people have mentioned automatics - out of curiosity, if you're buying a DeLorean why would you buy anything but a standard? Seems like it kind of defeats the purpose (which we all know is to relive our BTTF fantasies). Of course it makes sense if you can't drive a standard, or if the only deals you find are automatics .. just curious who is buying those.

When I bought mine 17 years ago, all I could find (read: afford) was an auto. I loved it when I was in stop and go traffic. It was really great.

Once the VR6 motor was brought in, I chewed through (2) automatics no problem. That's when I realized the 5-speed manual was practically mandatory, and as you suggested, is far more fun and enjoyable!

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

And when it doesn't work, it is a pain in the fucking ass.

OOOOOH Yeah! I had one that would shut off every time your turned right! Not Left, Right, Everytime!

#39 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

And when it doesn't work, it is a pain in the fucking ass. That's how my engine swap originally started. It was going to be an EFI swap alone, but then we started getting really into it and well......yep ; ).
    That is 40+ year old technology, severely outdated, and parts are expen$ive. $500 for the fuel distributor, $75 PER injector (*6), $275 for a warmup regulator....yeesh.
    As stated above, a lot of different cars had them, most notably the 80s Ferraris. Yep, the Magnum PI style Ferrari as well as the venerable Testarossa both had this mechanical K-Jetronic fuel injection system (or variations of it).
    [quoted image] [quoted image]
    And the air mixture unit on both cars. This normally mates to the aforementioned fuel distributor (the "spider" in both pictures):

When you do, please don't make any cocaine references. They weren't "drug fronting" cars, there was never cocaine found anywhere in any DeLorean ever from the factory, and it really keeps "spreading the misinformation" for almost 40 years now.
    You might be joking, but please understand, it can be a real source of annoyance to DeLorean owners. Please help stop the spread of misinformation.

Nice to see the Delorean crowd has a sense of humor.

Look, if you want to get all the BTTF recognition, you are gonna have to accept the cocaine recognition.

THose are the two things most people think of when they think DMC.

#40 3 years ago

^^^^^^ And that silver plate in the pic with the boot off, If that sucker every sticks OOOh Boy! It will fill up the cylinders with fuel! And if you pull the plugs out and spin it over to discharge that fuel BOOM! Firestorm!

#41 3 years ago
    Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Look, if you want to get all the BTTF recognition, you are gonna have to accept the cocaine recognition.

That coke thing was a BS entrapment operation. I would think that if you are going to bring it up you should also bring up how corrupt many of our law enforcement agencies are. And then proceed to wish you hadn't brought it up in the first place.

#42 3 years ago
    Quoted from NPO:

Of course I was joking, and point taken - and I wasn’t referring to you, but the gentleman in Virginia. Just read up on this - I did not know John DeLorean defended himself in court and got himself acquitted !

#43 3 years ago
    Quoted from PinBackpacker:

[quoted image]

Did you do that conversion yourself or ship it off somewhere for the treatment? I see theres an outfit that will convert your car for $40,000.

#44 3 years ago
    Quoted from Dkjimbo:

Did you do that conversion yourself or ship it off somewhere for the treatment? I see theres an outfit that will convert your car for $40,000.

that’s 40k you’ll never see again.

#45 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Of course I was joking, and point taken - and I wasn’t referring to you, but the gentleman in Virginia. Just read up on this - I did not know John DeLorean defended himself in court and got himself acquitted !

I want to give you a quick "thank you" for your positive and respectful response to my comment. Very much appreciated. I genuinely mean that.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

If you aren't part of the DeLorean community, trust me, you really don't know what we have put up with. It is one thing to have DeLorean friends and observe them handle the jokes; it is a whole nother to spend more money than some people do on boats or entire pinball machine collections only to hear something about white powder and license plates.

In 17 years, I think I have heard every single last BTTF comment you or anyone else could possibly come up with. And I have had the bath tub effect: I loved the BTTF jokes, I loathed the jokes, and then I love them and continue to love them now. Those really don't bother me anymore. The trilogy made this car into the icon it is today. Without that movie trilogy, the DeLorean would be a dead orphan car that nearly no one would know. If you don't like BTTF jokes, sell it and buy a Honda Accord.

Shameless plug of meeting both MJF (2019) and CL (2014) as I am 100% all in with BTTF:

All of that being said, the cocaine thing and him "being a druglord" was a farce. He was going to launder money to save his company, that I completely do believe and do not mind admitting as such.

I see people 55+ years old walk up to me at car shows, knowing I am the owner of the car, and start spewing their vitriol about how the car was a sham and it was nothing more than a way to bring drugs into the US, and there's cocaine somewhere and my buddy has actually found baggies and blah, blah blah....that shit gets old, especially when they REALLY believe it.

It is not about "not having" a sense of humor. Trust me, I have listened and fielded more flux capacitor jokes than entire pinball clubs have probably heard "pinball wizard" jokes. That I do not mind, but the cocaine stuff I will correct as a keyboard warrior here or face to face at any cruise in or car show. Seventeen years and counting.

Is what it is.

#46 3 years ago

Very cool.
    I have a lot of respect for the people in the local DeLorean community here.
    My wife is heavily involved in my kids school and earlier this year we had an 80s night. I built a bunch of props for it like a Bill and Teds phone booth time machine and even brought a few of our 80s arcade games down for the kids to play.
    Anyhow, my wife reached out to the local DeLorean club to see if we could pay to have someone show up with a car for photo ops with the kids.
    One of the guys from the local club showed up with his car (including flux capacitor and sports almanac).
    He did this for free on a Friday nigh.
    It was a huge hit with the kids and we were all really appreciative.
    I offer to pay for him to show up, but it was more about sharing the BTTF experience with the kids and seeing them get all excited about the car.
    Make no mistake, BTTF is ingrained in society at this point and is bridging generational gaps. Our kids are 9 and 11 and love the movies. I can’t think of a single friend who has kids that haven’t seen the movies.
    Make no mistake these movies will be engrained in pop culture indefinitely, hence so will the car.

Photo is my son at 80s night

8BD60C19-CFEF-4C93-8266-85496AE05EA0 (resized).jpeg8BD60C19-CFEF-4C93-8266-85496AE05EA0 (resized).jpeg
    #47 3 years ago

I've been looking at these for about 5 years. Prices keep creeping up. I would like to find an original low milage example in good condition but with the updates already taken care of. Asking for a lot, I know but I have gone through too many classics that need some work to have learned the lesson to just pay up front for a car that someone else has already had the head aches of updating and going through the cars. I saw this all because of the two you have, I'd really like to purchase the other one you have.

#48 3 years ago

Sorry don’t know how to quote messages on my phone...

ThNk you for the info about the fuel distributor, interesting!!! Never seen that on a gasoline engine!

I hear what you are all saying about the prices creeping for these vehicles! As I said before I got a Mazda RX-7 first gen with the Wankel rotary and the prices of those are now higher used than they were new!!!

All older vehicles are finicky beasts but if we didn’t keep them going who would???

Good luck to the OP in your endeavors!!! And help keep history alive!!!

#49 3 years ago

Sigh.....someday I'll own a DeLorean

#50 3 years ago

Also sadly, I know where there is one sitting in a field not far from me, 20 years ago the owner told me, I will get Er’ running someday.

Still in the same spot up to the doors sunk in the mud!!!

Also an early 80s Cadillac, 40s dodge power
    Wagon, and a Jeepster yes a real jeepster!!!

I sure they are all still there, but certainly junk now.

Such a shame!!!

There are 88 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

This topic is linked to a classified ad.

The Ad Listing has been ended, so this topic closed automatically.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1981-delorean-manual-transmission?hl=dkjimbo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.