(Topic ID: 93825)

1981 Bally MEDUSA - PINBALL PIMP Full Cabinet RESTORATION Gallery!

By PinballPimp

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 46 posts
  • 27 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by RussG
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

medusa comp 2.jpg
medusa comp 1.jpg
Medusa 6.JPG
Medusa 4.JPG
Medusa 2.JPG
Medusa 5.JPG
Medusa 3.JPG
Medusa 1.jpg
Bally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 42.JPG
Bally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 39.JPG
Bally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 41.JPG
Bally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 40.JPG
Bally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 38.JPG
Bally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 37.JPG
Bally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 36.JPG
Bally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 34.JPG
#1 9 years ago

Look into the eyes of Medusa
And she'll turn your world to stone
She'll tear at your eyes and seduce you
And your soul will be gone

Just finished a FULL Cabinet Restore on a 1981 Bally MEDUSA machine for client in Merritt Island, FL. He has wanted me to do this project for him for over 6 months and it finally came to fruition. Close to 70 hours of love went into her. Don't stare at her too long or you might turn to stone! Enjoy the machine Russ, It truly is one of a kind

FULL 42 PIC photo gallery can also be seen at my Photobucket page
http://s1218.photobucket.com/user/pinballpimp/library/Bally%20MEDUSA

Samples of my pinball work available at:
http://www.pinballpimp.com

For Inquiries:
Phone 813-963-1199
Email: [email protected]

Bally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 1.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 1.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 2.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 2.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 3.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 3.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 4.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 4.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 5.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 5.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 6.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 6.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 7.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 7.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 8.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 8.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 9.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 9.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 10.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 10.JPG

#2 9 years ago

More pics

Bally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 11.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 11.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 12.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 12.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 13.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 13.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 14.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 14.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 15.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 15.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 16.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 16.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 17.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 17.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 18.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 18.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 19.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 19.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 20.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 20.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 21.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 21.JPG

#4 9 years ago

even more pics

Bally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 22.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 22.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 23.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 23.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 24.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 24.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 25.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 25.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 26.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 26.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 27.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 27.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 28.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 28.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 29.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 29.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 30.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 30.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 31.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 31.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 32.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 32.JPG

#5 9 years ago

and the last of them

Bally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 33.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 33.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 34.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 34.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 35.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 35.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 36.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 36.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 37.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 37.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 38.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 38.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 39.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 39.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 40.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 40.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 41.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 41.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 42.JPGBally MEDUSA Pinball Pimp 42.JPG

#6 9 years ago

Sweet!
Thanks for posting!
-mof

#7 9 years ago

Beyond belief!

#8 9 years ago

Thats lovely.

#9 9 years ago

Zipper flipper coil sleeves are the wrong color. Take it away.

Seriously though, that's a sweet looking Medusa!

#10 9 years ago

Jeff, very nice job. This is one of my favorite looking machines. Love the artwork and paint scheme. If you don't mind me asking what type of paint did you use and did you mix it or have it mixed? Lastly, if you don't mind, again, sharing your process on how you polish your metal pieces? Always looking to see how others do it!!!

#11 9 years ago

That is an amazing job but no special interior cabinet finish goodie like the Power Play!

#12 9 years ago

WOW! Was that a new cabinet? New hardware? Great job on the paint.

#13 9 years ago

It's hard to put a Pimp Interior in the newer '81 games since the power supply is in the bottom of the cab!

#14 9 years ago

Very nice. I'd love to have mine look like this.

#15 9 years ago

That is a phenomenal result!!! Must be a bit concerning handing it over to the movers, hope it arrives at Russ's place looking like it does now.

Any before images? Would be cool to see the Medusa arriving on your driveway in pieces, dented and dinged, sratched, etc, etc. And then the set of images you posted.

#16 9 years ago

Just beautiful,love those golden era Ballys.

#17 9 years ago

Nice work Jeff.

#18 9 years ago

Well done. Medusa deserves it.

#19 9 years ago

I thought I would post a few photos of the cabinet before and during the restore. NO, it was NOT a NEW cabinet. I strip down the old ones, re-enforce them and then get them to furniture grade smooth before priming. That's where all the master woodworking comes into play!

Medusa 1.jpgMedusa 1.jpgMedusa 2.JPGMedusa 2.JPGMedusa 3.JPGMedusa 3.JPGMedusa 4.JPGMedusa 4.JPGMedusa 5.JPGMedusa 5.JPGMedusa 6.JPGMedusa 6.JPG

#20 9 years ago

Stunning, just stunning. Great work and thanks for sharing your pictures.

#21 9 years ago

looks fantastic. It's probably not bad to do because the stencil is one color, but there is a lot of detail in that stencil so it was probably a PIA to apply.

#22 9 years ago

Top notch work! Thanks for sharing,

-BB

#23 9 years ago

One of the biggest differences in the FINAL result is that I design my own stencil vector art. I DO NOT use the crap that is available online. You can see by the photos attached the difference in how CLEAN my art is compared to the competitor that everyone else is buying. They never spent the 8-10 hours cleaning up the art after it was brought into Illustrator or Corel like I do. Their spacing is bad and jagged curves. You could spend 100 hours on a perfect paint job but it's only going to look as good as the art your are spraying back on. the ART has to be correct otherwise you are wasting your time in my opinion. Almost every single stencil set is crap like this, at least from what I have seen!

I'll let you be the judge... Pimp

medusa comp 1.jpgmedusa comp 1.jpgmedusa comp 2.jpgmedusa comp 2.jpg

#24 9 years ago

Great now I want a Medusa, THANKS ALOT!

#25 9 years ago

Plug her in.....she's been PIMPED!

#26 9 years ago

that is a damn nice medusa. I wants it, but i'm already way way out of space and should not be buying anything.

#27 9 years ago

The customer called me a few days after getting the machine home to give me another BIG THANKS! I told him when he was here picking up his machine that it won't sink in until a few days from now and how he will just keep looking at the machine and thinking HOLY CRAP, is that really sitting there and it's MINE! He sounded like a little kid on the other end of the line. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED! Pimp!

#28 9 years ago

I should send my locomotion over to you to restore, so I don't have to try and do it.

#29 9 years ago

I just looked up LOCOMOTION in the database and it looks really cool. The cabinet art would be a bitch though!

#30 9 years ago

yup, because Zaccaria didn't use stencils. It's all screen printed.

#32 9 years ago

found that out the hard way when I tried to do stencils for Robot, and found out there is no possible way you can do stencils. Way to much detail.

#33 9 years ago

If anyone could re-create the stencils, it would be me, BUT the cost would be astronomical for me to sit and clean up all the art!

#34 9 years ago

tell me about it. I put in well over 200 hours in robot. And 280 hours in the backglass.

4 months later
#35 9 years ago

Sorry to bump an old thread, but was looking for Medusa stuff and stumbled upon this, missed it the first time. Damn that's lovely. Had to say something.

More than that though, you need more props on your stencil work. I don't know who the competitor you have pictured is, but that's some lazy ass shit to sell. Looks like someone hit autotrace and called it a day. I tip my hat to you for doing it right.

We've talked about stencils before, and if I need one that you've done there's no question I'm coming to you first.

#36 9 years ago

Would love to own a Medusa of this caliber one day! Great workmanship, Pimp.

#37 9 years ago

It doesn't look like the stencils were traced by hand on the competitor, I'm an anal douche when it comes to revectoring a scan, perfect tracing is what I strive for like you, it appears they just scanned and used an auto tracer because some of those lines are so way off its pretty obvious. I would be weary of using an online template myself and would just do it myself so i know it's perfect.

#38 9 years ago

Thanks for the compliments guys. I've been a Vector artist for 30 years as a career and strive for perfections as well. I was also one of the original CPR artists.

I just got approved to sell MY stencils by PPS. After all the comments and praise from clients and admirers of my cabinet work for the past decade, I decided to buy my own Roland cutter and make all of my Bally/Williams stencils available to the public for the first time. It's the NEXT GEN alternative so you don't have to restore these beautiful, classic machines using inferior art! All of MY art is 1 scans of actual cabinets with 10-20 hours of cleanup involved so the art has perfectly straight lines & smooth curves. My stencils also come with Traps & Bleeds between color so you don't get the "fingernail" of cabinet color showing thru. Plus a unique Registrations System so you get the stencils lined up DEAD ON the first time! Go see for yourself at my new site! I know you won't be disappointed once you use a set of them. If you like, please help spread the word!

Thanks, Jeff - Pinball Pimp!

www.pinballpimpstencils.com

#39 9 years ago

Good job bro, i always wondered about the restorations that used the poor auto trace stencils, what a shame. All that work then using bad stencils.

#40 9 years ago

I absolutely agree BillE. This is exactly the reason I have designed ALL of my own stencils the past 10 years as I knew my final art would be CORRECT and CLEAN. There is GOOD Art and BAD Art. 30 years of being in the design industry does have its advantages and hopefully it shows in my artwork!

As I say on my website, "You can do a spectacular job painting your cabinet but it’s only going to look as good as the artwork designed!"

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from PinballPimp:

Thanks for the compliments guys. I've been a Vector artist for 30 years as a career and strive for perfections as well. I was also one of the original CPR artists.
I just got approved to sell MY stencils by PPS. After all the comments and praise from clients and admirers of my cabinet work for the past decade, I decided to buy my own Roland cutter and make all of my Bally/Williams stencils available to the public for the first time. It's the NEXT GEN alternative so you don't have to restore these beautiful, classic machines using inferior art! All of MY art is 1 scans of actual cabinets with 10-20 hours of cleanup involved so the art has perfectly straight lines & smooth curves. My stencils also come with Traps & Bleeds between color so you don't get the "fingernail" of cabinet color showing thru. Plus a unique Registrations System so you get the stencils lined up DEAD ON the first time! Go see for yourself at my new site! I know you won't be disappointed once you use a set of them. If you like, please help spread the word!
Thanks, Jeff - Pinball Pimp!
http://www.pinballpimpstencils.com

I am glad because the current sets of stencils out there are crap. We don't need pimp to point it out but I am glad he has.....The crap is so bad.... Jeff I think its important to highlight "competitor" so people don't waste their money. I have been screwed plenty on this stuff.

#42 9 years ago

Very nice Jeff. Look forward to buying more stencils from you.

#43 9 years ago

Pimp, how about some Sorcerer stencils?

#44 9 years ago

Sorcerer could be done, I just need to find someone in the Tampa Bay area who has a nice Sorcerer cabinet for me to scan, or for someone to send me scans!!!!

1 month later
#45 9 years ago

replay museum

1 week later
#46 9 years ago

Jeff I have a nice Sorcerer you can scan

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10.00
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

$ 25.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
West Point, UT
$ 22.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

7,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Reno, NV
$ 69.00
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Shark

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

£ 195.00
$ 139.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1981-bally-medusa-pinball-pimp-full-cabinet-restoration-gallery and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.