(Topic ID: 251007)

1980 Williams Black Knight - Switch issues - Anyone see this? (FIXED)

By Barakawins1

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F4DF5BD3-055E-4D46-912D-3D588B930ABC (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Was playing my black knight tonight. Encountered the spinner not scoring or making sound (Switch 13 in manual). Also, Left kicker switch not scoring or making sound (switch 21). I ran switch test and found switch right coin switch (04) stuck on. However, I have no switch at this location at all. I also tested the spinner and kicker manually. Neither score points or make sound. The contacts were cleaned for these switches which made not difference. Anyone have an idea on what
could be causing this? Everything else plays fine. Sound test is good.

#2 4 years ago

If you unplug the switch matrix connectors from the driver board, does it still think the coin switch is closed?

#3 4 years ago

The generic Bally matrix switch four position is strobe zero, return 3. That's switch 12 on your Black Knight , the right outlane. Is that one stuck?

#4 4 years ago

Hmmm.. I'll have to unplug the switch matrix plugs and check switch test again.

as for the right outlane switch, it's not stuck.

#5 4 years ago

What about other switches in that row? 29 Lower Right 3-Bank right target, 37 Top Right 3-Bank lower target, and 45 Ballshooter Trough? Maybe a connector one pin off and reporting incorrect switch number stuck?

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

What about other switches in that row? 29 Lower Right 3-Bank right target, 37 Top Right 3-Bank lower target, and 45 Ballshooter Trough? Maybe a connector one pin off and reporting incorrect switch number stuck?

These are all fine. Seems concentrated to Spinner Target (13), Left kicker switch (21) and I'm not sure why right coin switch (04) is being reported since I don't have a coin switch installed there at all. I'm starting to wonder if the spinner or left kicker diode is bad causing false reading of switch 04. I'm gonna have to do some diode testing tomorrow.

#7 4 years ago

Check that you don’t have a wire grounding against your coin door somewhere. Just because no switch doesn’t mean it won’t register.

Also check other switches in the column for similar issues or bad diodes

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from HHaase:

Check that you don’t have a wire grounding against your coin door somewhere. Just because no switch doesn’t mean it won’t register.

Also check other switches in the column for similar issues or bad diodes

I'll check this tomorrow as well. Very strange issue.

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from Barakawins1:

Was playing my black knight tonight. Encountered the spinner not scoring or making sound (Switch 13 in manual). Also, Left kicker switch not scoring or making sound (switch 21). I ran switch test and found switch right coin switch (04) stuck on. However, I have no switch at this location at all. I also tested the spinner and kicker manually. Neither score points or make sound. The contacts were cleaned for these switches which made not difference. Anyone have an idea on what
could be causing this? Everything else plays fine. Sound test is good.

Multiple switch problem:

Isolate the problem in two sections: #04 and #21 #13

#04 Showing in test/short in coin door wiring:

Suspect this short was already existing before the new problem #21 #13
Disconnect the coin door harness plug check if #04 goes away.

#21 #13 dead:
Suspect broken wire diodes ok:
Check the ball shooter trough switch isn't pinched.

2 switches not registering #21 #13:

Look at each switch that uses the same Row wire White with green stripe:
Check for a broken white with green stripe wire at each of the working switches #29 #37 #45 that must connect to the non working switches.

#10 4 years ago

Thanks Pintec. Gonna dive into this today and report back.

#11 4 years ago

Fixed... As Pintec and YeOldPinPlayer stated.. Switch #45 (Ball trough) White/Green wire off of switch. BK rides again..This fixed the spinner/left kicker scoring switch issue. All is well now.

F4DF5BD3-055E-4D46-912D-3D588B930ABC (resized).jpegF4DF5BD3-055E-4D46-912D-3D588B930ABC (resized).jpeg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 17.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Westjordan, UT
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

2,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vista, CA
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Newcastle, OK
$ 160.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Sparky Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 959.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 53.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 1,059.00
Tools
Pincoder Store

$ 59.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1980-williams-black-knight-switch-issues-anyone-see-this- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.